Breed Suggestions.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I can't remember if I've already done this before, but anywhooo.

Some might know that my brother's been looking at getting an Aussie. But I'm just not sure that he'll be able to handle that much dog.

We've contacted who knows how many breeders - either they aren't having litters anytime this spring or are show breeders.

He doesn't really want to go the rescue route, but it's not totally out of the question if the right pup came along.

Okay, on to the point....

He says goldens, labs or spaniels are "too original" for him. So those really aren't anything to suggest, even though I think he would do awesome with a well bred-golden.

I need help with breed suggestions:

-20+ pounds
-Friendly with other dogs and people, strangers included.
-Hair really doesn't matter, though he would like something with fur like Lizzie (long and straight).
-Something preferably that isn't as high energy as a BC or Aussie.
-Is ready to take on new things (he'd like to try Flyball) but content to just be lazy for a few hours.

Hillside

Original Twin
Do you think he would like a Flat Coat? ( And I know I speak for Zoom and myself, how dare there not be baby Aussie pics coming. :p)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
LOL yeah!

Most, or at least many, Aussies have a terrific "off" switch. I know Sawyer does...he's sacked out beside me waiting until I get off my butt and take him to the park. He'll go forever outside but is content to just bum around indoors. There are so many awesome dogs in rescue too...does he say why he doesn't really want to go that route? Aussies puppies are DEVIL CHILDREN until they're around a year or so...is he ready for that? I had enough issues with Sawyer when I first got him and he was 18 months.

They'll take on just about anything you can throw at them too...very much an all-purpose dog.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I will definitely look at the Aussie Rescue, but he's said he doesn't want to go with rescue.

But, we haven't found any breeders so that might be the only thing left.

He says he would like an aussie, but I'm just not sure he knows how much "drive" he's getting with that kind of breed.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
An Aussie sounds like a good choice. Maybe an Aussie cross? I have a thirty pound or so Aussie/Jack Russell mix, who definately has a off switch, and plenty of drive. He too, is currently sacked out beside me, but thats because we just came back from a training foray into the neighborhood. He'd be up in a heartbeat if I asked him to play ball though!

Lizmo, what about a Chinook? There is a lot of information about the breed as well as a number breeders listed on the the Chinook Owners Association website: http://www.chinook.org/.

The breed shares some of the temperament qualities that attract people to Labs, Goldens, etc., in that they are an easily trained, non-aggressive and people-oriented, but they're still uncommon and definitely off the beaten path.

Debbie

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I like Brittanys a lot. I haven't been able to spend enough time around them to tell you a lot, but all the ones I've been around have a ginormous amount of energy, not sure about whether they have an off switch or not.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Brittanys are very sweet dogs, very excitable and still quite high energy, though. I've found that Aussies have a better off switch.

How about an English Setter? They've got a lot of "get up and go", but aren't quite as drivey as an Aussie.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Really?! Chinook? My friend (who used to come here) had a Chinook. The dog was a rescue dog, but still, not something I would recommend for him. Are breeders pretty rare? I'm in South AL.

I'm not worried about energy, so much as drive.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Drive for what? Ball? Food? Stockwork?

Drive is an outlet for energy, and high energy without a couple strong drives is (IMO) disastrous. Think of a poorly bred Dalmatian or Setter - hyper as hell, without any direction to their energy. Dogs like that literally need to have the energy run out of them, because they usually won't have the focus for a long game of fetch or an intense training session.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Hmm, ok.

Here's what I'm worried about if he gets an Aussie.....even coming from a good breeder:

1. The dog will have to much drive (as in wanting to herding) for him to handle making me the one that does stuff with the dog.

2. Bad habbits will form because the dog doesn't have an outlet for his energy other than (ATM) long walks and/or training sessions.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
That's a possibility with any dog he gets, given his criteria though. I still say that A) he needs to look for something around a year old and B) just meet the dog first.

I hesitate to suggest a Setter, though I have known some really good ones. However, the one I'm dealing with on a daily basis right now is absolutley insane. I've pretty much got most of the reasons figured out (lack of direction, lack of exercise, lack of a consistant boss), but it's not helping a whole lot because she's not mine and she's developing OCD outlets for her energy.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Plus, the real problem is, I can't find any working breeders near us (I've looked TN, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, and FL!). Either no one will get back with my dad or they aren't having any litters.

Zoom, I did look at the aussie rescue site you've given out to a few people, and they didn't have much in this area either. :(

RD

Are you dead yet?
Is he opposed to going to a shelter and getting a dog there, Jen?

Really?! Chinook? My friend (who used to come here) had a Chinook. The dog was a rescue dog, but still, not something I would recommend for him. Are breeders pretty rare? I'm in South AL.

I'm not worried about energy, so much as drive.
Do you know where the dog came from? I'd be very surprised if it were an actual Chinook unless it was a breeder-assisted rehome or national rescue referral.

I'd have to understand more about what you're referring to as drive. Although some Chinooks have passed herding instinct tests, I would not find them comparable at all to the true herding breeds as they have nowhere near the energy, focus or intensity. Prey drive is also only moderate in most dogs and they can lean to respect cats and other household pets though they may still catch wild rabbits and squirrels. Know that Chinooks DO have a strong pack drive and want to be with you no matter what, so the breed would be a no-no for someone wanting a dog that could tolerate long periods alone or who dislikes a "needy" dog or wants a dog that can entertain itself.

Debbie

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Grace, it might be that he whines up doing just that.

Chinooks, my friend's dog came from the shelter/pound, I guess she was going to be PTS if no one took her. Thats a whole 'nother story, though.

Members online

No members online now.