Agility training

Elrohwen

They're not all that expensive, either! Only thing I'd change (and might once the weather clears up, are to make separate standard 'feet' as opposed to the cross brace at the bottom. Easier storage. :)
Yeah, I was thinking about that too. The brace on the bottom seems easier in some ways, but less easy for storage. We do have a shed so it might not be a big deal to store them even with the cross brace - I'll have to see how much room is available in there.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Mr. Auggie is sending to a thrown toy. Not a ball... not a ball on a rope... not a food toy... a Skinneez shark tug toy. This is big for my old boy.
My plan is to work more jump grids with him but to also run a lot of exercises just with jump standards. No bars... just run really fast through the standards. Teach speed as a thing and teach jumping as a thing and then hopefully the two will be able to come together.
Some days I think we can do this... some days. We are having some really good training sessions and the good ones are stacking up back to back. Maybe we can do it.
I haven't told his breeder what I'm doing. I haven't told her I entered him in Louisville. She told me she's thinking of skipping Louisville this year. I don't know if I should say something or not. I was sort of planning on just surprising people... or at least hoping he would surprise people LOL. If I don't say anything she might be mad if she misses it...

Question about P, I think I know what I want to do but thought I would ask for other opinions. We are doing Dave Munnings flatwork right now and the FC exercise has you throw the toy out, leave the dog, walk out about halfway. release the dog and then do a FC, spin the dog around you and then race him to the toy (hopefully I described it well enough.) P will always always always come to me when I FC, but he also barks when it happens. I think he's barking because he wants to go out and get the toy and he's frustrated he has to stop and wait. I'm thinking I need to start randomly rewarding him with a second toy from my hand after the FC. I'm pretty sure DM says you can do this but I'd have to watch the DVD again to be sure. Does this sound like a fair assessment of what might be going on and how to help him not be frustrated when I put a bump in his game? He always gets the toy, he just has to take the FC first.
I don't care about the barking itself to be clear, I just think in this case it's frustration and I care about resolving the frustration.

Sekah

The Monster.
Congrats on your success with Auggie! That's huge! I'm not sure what to suggest as far as Payton goes. My gut is to make him work through his frustration, but that may not be the right choice for you and your dog. Do you foresee fallout if you don't provide intermittent reinforcement? Maybe try communicating that he's right with the use of a bridge marker?

I had class last night with Cohen. I'm sooo happy to be back in classes again. It was a pain in the butt trying to get back into class since spaces seem so limited. Due to the limited number of spaces, I'm in a more intermediate level class. Cohen and I are, I believe, the only team who competes. So, as a result, the sequences that are set up seem to be on the simple side. However, it's good R+ for me to help build my confidence. I had some chances to push to the rear side of a jump, cue tight turns into/out of tunnels, layer equipment for distance work and I practiced some object discrimination. Plus I'm always happy to spend some time out and playing on the equipment.

Cohen will work tirelessly. She ran beautifully last night. We did knock a bar or two, but for the most part I'm unconcerned. I can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can practice outdoors on my own.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
We had an off week this week since my trainer was having an MRI done on her belgian out of town (no tumors, thankfully!) We did have distractions on Sunday and Summer was a bit off. Every time she's off I get scared she's getting too old. Overall it was good but she missed the A-frame twice for some reason and it was like 70 degrees outside so the dogs acted like they were dying of heat stroke since they're used to working in the 20s-40s.

Sekah

The Monster.
So... regionals? Are they worth going to?

Basically, I have no intention/hope of going to nationals. The stories I heard from friends from last year's regionals were overwhelmingly positive. However, now that it's registration time again... I'm not so sure. It looks like it's ~$135 just to register, then $22 on top of that, per run. That's... an expensive trial. Especially for one that's outdoors, doesn't count towards titles (is this right?), and may require me staying in a hotel rather than driving out each day.

What are other people's experiences for regionals or other similar trials?

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
So... regionals? Are they worth going to?

Basically, I have no intention/hope of going to nationals. The stories I heard from friends from last year's regionals were overwhelmingly positive. However, now that it's registration time again... I'm not so sure. It looks like it's ~$135 just to register, then $22 on top of that, per run. That's... an expensive trial. Especially for one that's outdoors, doesn't count towards titles (is this right?), and may require me staying in a hotel rather than driving out each day.

What are other people's experiences for regionals or other similar trials?
It should only be a flat rate. Like $135 for the weekend.

None of the runs count towards titles and they're all masters level courses.

I love regionals, it's a great experience and last years nationals was awesome. My club is hosting AB/NWT regionals this year so i'm for sure going and hoping to go to nationals in NB too.

ETA: Just looked at the ontario west premium and the $22 per run things are for the sanction trial on the friday i believe.

adojrts

Mr. Auggie is sending to a thrown toy. Not a ball... not a ball on a rope... not a food toy... a Skinneez shark tug toy. This is big for my old boy.
My plan is to work more jump grids with him but to also run a lot of exercises just with jump standards. No bars... just run really fast through the standards. Teach speed as a thing and teach jumping as a thing and then hopefully the two will be able to come together.
Some days I think we can do this... some days. We are having some really good training sessions and the good ones are stacking up back to back. Maybe we can do it.
I haven't told his breeder what I'm doing. I haven't told her I entered him in Louisville. She told me she's thinking of skipping Louisville this year. I don't know if I should say something or not. I was sort of planning on just surprising people... or at least hoping he would surprise people LOL. If I don't say anything she might be mad if she misses it...

Question about P, I think I know what I want to do but thought I would ask for other opinions. We are doing Dave Munnings flatwork right now and the FC exercise has you throw the toy out, leave the dog, walk out about halfway. release the dog and then do a FC, spin the dog around you and then race him to the toy (hopefully I described it well enough.) P will always always always come to me when I FC, but he also barks when it happens. I think he's barking because he wants to go out and get the toy and he's frustrated he has to stop and wait. I'm thinking I need to start randomly rewarding him with a second toy from my hand after the FC. I'm pretty sure DM says you can do this but I'd have to watch the DVD again to be sure. Does this sound like a fair assessment of what might be going on and how to help him not be frustrated when I put a bump in his game? He always gets the toy, he just has to take the FC first.
I don't care about the barking itself to be clear, I just think in this case it's frustration and I care about resolving the frustration.
For the release to the toy and FC, to start use either a low valued toy or food and use a high valued toy to reward with for following you :)

Sekah

The Monster.
It should only be a flat rate. Like $135 for the weekend.

None of the runs count towards titles and they're all masters level courses.

I love regionals, it's a great experience and last years nationals was awesome. My club is hosting AB/NWT regionals this year so i'm for sure going and hoping to go to nationals in NB too.

ETA: Just looked at the ontario west premium and the $22 per run things are for the sanction trial on the friday i believe.
Thanks for clearing that up. Clearly I just glanced at it and filled in the gaps myself. That makes it much more appealing!

BostonBanker

Big trials are just plain fun, in my opinion. I do think our stuff counts for titles though at regionals (or maybe it is just that we have a regular trial in conjunction; the tournament stuff also counts towards titles that require it).

But it's always a party atmosphere around here for Regionals and Cynosport. There are goodie bags and free t-shirts and everyone is running full out and the jello-shots are flying around ;). I had no intention or chance of being the finals when we went to Cynosport; it was the whole experience that made it worth it 100x over.

I'm planning to run Gusto and maybe Meg at our Regionals this summer; I'd love to aim Gusto for Cynosport in 2015, depending on where it is going to be held. I can't do California this year, and I think it would be silly to bring Gusto at this point in his career. But I loved going once; I'll go again hopefully!

DenoLo

It seems as though we've developed start line problems suddenly! Every time I put Lola in a stay at class, she starts scratching (stress relief I guess?). My plan is to take a few steps back and do some very short, close ones with frequent rewards. Maybe work on stays at home, but I think the problem won't show up there. Bummer since that was something she used to be really at it.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
First trial back since we took our break last fall. Kimma was AWESOME! We did things differently than we had been (way different startline routine that includes me running WITH her), and she was fast and best of all, happy!!! We were way under time each course, but of course I'm a bad handler and caused her to have one R in each JWW and Standard. But it's OK! I can fix those things relatively easily. She was wanting butt scratches before we went in, and was working for treats, and she wanted to say hi to people she knew. What a difference from a few months ago when she was totally shut down before going in the ring!

SaraB

First trial back since we took our break last fall. Kimma was AWESOME! We did things differently than we had been (way different startline routine that includes me running WITH her), and she was fast and best of all, happy!!! We were way under time each course, but of course I'm a bad handler and caused her to have one R in each JWW and Standard. But it's OK! I can fix those things relatively easily. She was wanting butt scratches before we went in, and was working for treats, and she wanted to say hi to people she knew. What a difference from a few months ago when she was totally shut down before going in the ring!
Wooohooo! That's seriously awesome.

Finkie_Mom

Wooohooo! That's seriously awesome.
Thank you! As if yesterday wasn't great enough, today she went in and got her first Masters Standard Q , and her second Excellent JWW Q with a first place!

She was definitely stressed before our JWW run (our second run today) but once we got started, she ran well (the first few jumps were a bit slow). We get a couple of weeks off then another trial day. I think 2 days in a row might be a bit much for her right now.

However, I THINK that her getting her first MACH points means that we get to go to Invitationals this year!!!!!!!

Finkie_Mom

Woohoo! Congrats!
Thank you!!!!

But DARN. My friend didn't tell me the correct thing about Invitationals. You have to be competing in Masters in both Standard and Jumpers to be invited, even if you are getting MACH points already. Boooo. Oh well - let's hope we can get those last 2 Jumpers Qs before the end of June so we can go. If not, there's always 2015 :)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Summer decided to hurt herself the week of our TDAA trial debut. Sigh. I guess we'll wait and enter the march one. Probably will skip the UKC trial this month too. :( And the USDAA is on easter weekend so probably won't be able to make that one either. Sucks!

At least we can make the ORT in May.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
We had one of 'those' practices today. First of all, I did bring Summer because I knew we'd be indoors and not doing much and she was acting fine all day yesterday and today.

Mia was SLOW. So slow. Just 'eh, I don't really wanna today.' Even doing the basics. She did perk up with her food stuffed toy and there was one exercise about halfway through class where we clicked and she was actually working very nicely. I get frustrated with the 'Eh.... not really wanting to right now'. She is so smart I think she knows she can get a cookie for a half-ass effort. Food stuffed toy though... we need to use that more. I also brought boring treats this time. That must be fixed.

Summer on the other hand was just wild. All over the place wild. 'WOOHOO I'M A SUMMER DOG AND I LIKE PARTAY AND HAVE FUN AND OH HIIIIIIIIIIII! WOOOHOOOOOO! JUMPS AND TUNNELS! FRIENDS AND PEOPLE!'

^^ Seriously. She had no brain. Just flying over and through everything and just circling and wildness with no reeling it in. Imagine a tiny uncontrollable adolescent lab that hasn't ever seen an obedience command and also has a neurotic tendency to circle counter-clockwise- that was my 9 year old papillon today. I tried. Oh lord I tried. We've been doing distractions class and working SO HARD on keeping her from being a wild brainless woman. It was all out the window. I finally got exasperated and told my trainer I just didn't know where her brain was. My trainer replied 'Well, she's probably been stuck inside this weekend with the weather'. I said, 'No, she actually got about 2 hours of exercise yesterday, 4 hours on Saturday, and an hour on Friday.' 'Oh. Wow.'

Yeah. :/

We did regroup on the VERY LAST exercise and she weaved so so well and worked so well between runs. It was great. But the rest of the night was awful.

It was just bad all around.

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
Penn's debut is in 53 days. So horrifying. Not to mention I need contacts at some point before then since she's running 2 standard runs.. she will run the contacts, she's just touch& go about actually hitting the zone. Why did it feel like only last week she was a wee little thing? And how is she old enough to trial now??

Elrohwen

I'm sorry you guys had a crappy class! I don't have any insight on Mia, but I can sympathize with a brainless crazy-pants dog at least. I love and also hate the dogs who think before doing. It's cracks me up, but sometimes you just wish their brain would work for a few minutes.

Members online

No members online now.