Well, it was nice while it lasted

This is my new gate

gate by Traveling Koolie, on Flickr

This is Didgie going over my new gate

Didgie over gate by Traveling Koolie, on Flickr

I kinda hate her

trying by Traveling Koolie, on Flickr

Oh well, I should have figured if any of them would it would be her. Not extraordinarily high for a dog but pretty darn high for a puppy I think.

And I'm honestly just not used to dogs that do that. Traveler has immense respect for gates and would never do that. Didgie thinks everything is made to be conquered.

Attitude. She has it.

Collage by Traveling Koolie, on Flickr

Taqroy

Hah. I love Trav's face. "I'm the good one, in case you were wondering."

You can probably train her to respect the gate - Murphy is a gate hopper and through the strategic use of really high gates and treats he will usually stay on the proper side. Not if I'm getting dog food ready or if he's home alone though. (Not that I've worked on either of those scenarios.)

Now see, I just threw the gate at Traveler the first couple times he thought about it :rofl1: Didgie though would like that so it's not an option.

At this point, I'm hoping she won't do it if I'm not on the side she's not on. I left food cooling where she could see it and left the house with her locked out of the Kitchen using that gate. She didn't jump it until I got home and didn't come see her.

But, I'm assuming nothing :lol-sign:

TahlzK

Now see, I just threw the gate at Traveler the first couple times he thought about it :rofl1: Didgie though would like that so it's not an option.

At this point, I'm hoping she won't do it if I'm not on the side she's not on. I left food cooling where she could see it and left the house with her locked out of the Kitchen using that gate. She didn't jump it until I got home and didn't come see her.

But, I'm assuming nothing :lol-sign:
Um, I'm curios to know why you decided to teach Traveler not to jump by throwing the gate at him? It just seems a tad harsh when there are nicer ways to teach it.

They are your dogs, I'm just curious.

Aleron

That picture is too funny!

I trained Savvy to stay in a fairly low expen by giving him a consequence every time he jumped out and making staying in very rewarding. In the expen, I had stuffed Kongs, other chewy thing and toys. When he jumped out, he immediately got put into a small (but big enough) crate with nothing fun in it at all for awhile. Then back into the fun expen. It took a little while and a lot of consistency...the first week or so was annoying to extinguish the jumping but it worked!

Saeleofu

What a sassy set of faces! :rofl1: And poor Traveler, being so good.

Gavroche will jump anything. I've seen him jump in excess of 5 feet before. Gates are no match for him.

Logan could jump most gates, he is a fairly decent jumper, but it really would never cross his mind to do so lol.

Um, I'm curios to know why you decided to teach Traveler not to jump by throwing the gate at him? It just seems a tad harsh when there are nicer ways to teach it.

They are your dogs, I'm just curious.
Because it worked :p Honestly, it was a split decision when he looked up at a gate and got ready to jump, I kicked it, it went flying, he backed up really fast and never tried to jump a gate.

There are a million ways to teach it nicer but, this worked, he doesn't jump gates but neither is he afraid of them (as you can see with him standing right by the gate).

If I had to do it again I probably would do it the same way because extinguishing behaviors that fast is how an aversive is supposed to work. Didgie? Not so much. She would think it was time to kill the gate. :rofl1:

lol, yeah I didn't find that gate to be too affective for "some" dogs either. Enda respects it, but well, Jinjo has bowled it over right off the wall...twice. Then I later found out, he also shockingly fits through the "little door" that's on ours that we thought might be nice for Noods *face-palm* it was supposed to keep him and her separated.

Hahahaha, love Didg-a-tude collage.

We used to use the cheap plastic baby gates you get at Target or wherever. When Squash learned to jump over one, we stacked two. That got annoying, so we got some hardware mounted gates like the one you have there but a bit taller.

The first time he showed any inclination to try to go over THAT, I flew across the room like a face-sucking alien, screeching GAAAAAAAHHHHHH and so far it seems to have done the trick. *knock wood*

We used to use the cheap plastic baby gates you get at Target or wherever. When Squash learned to jump over one, we stacked two. That got annoying, so we got some hardware mounted gates like the one you have there but a bit taller.

The first time he showed any inclination to try to go over THAT, I flew across the room like a face-sucking alien, screeching GAAAAAAAHHHHHH and so far it seems to have done the trick. *knock wood*
:rofl1: Exactly! Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do!

She hasn't jumped it since but I haven't really given her the opportunity too

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
For what its worth, Chloe learned to respect gates by having them fall on her, so...yup. it works. Lol I would justeave the gate leaning against the doorway and when she touched it, it would fall on her. Much gate respect now.

Toller_08

Oh, Didgie. I love her attitude.

I used to have a dog that jumped gates and nothing ever cured her of it if there was something on the other side that she really wanted to get to. Thankfully she didn't really need to be contained by a gate so it didn't matter, but at times it could be a pain.

But yeah, gates falling on my dogs is how they all learned to respect the gate as well. None of them are the slightest bit afraid of them, but they quickly learned that you don't touch gates. The worst and only bad result from all of this is that my poor gate looks pretty sad now.

Hahaha this is great!!! She's getting so big!

I taught Bailey not to gate jump by putting one of those little Halloween motion detectors on the other side: when he got within jumping distance this creepy little witch would screech, "I'll get you my pretty!" and he would rethink his decision :D

Members online

No members online now.