Advice?

yoko

I went to my friends house and they had found a puppy in a parking lot. I think it was horrible for someone to just hand it out. It's only three weeks old. Atleast that's what they told me they got told. It is tiny. Just a bit bigger than my hand. It'll suck on your finger and it can't eat regular food. All it does is sleep and eat. I don't have any experience with a puppy that young. Does anyone have any advice I can give them?

Wow, that is tiny and young. I would have them call a vet and they should be able to give them instructions on how to handle a puppy that small. Also, I'm sure there are lots of people on here who have had experience with this, be patient I'm sure they'll have lots of advice.

you need to go to your vet and buy some milk replacement
and a small bottle to feed your baby

014509Bo

Most breeders start weaning pups around 3 - 3 1/2 weeks. What you can do is advise your friend to get puppy replacement milk. Cows milk is not something you want to use due to the lactic acid. Get some good puppy kibble or canned food of a good quality (Mordy could help with that). If using the kibble take hot water and and pour over about a handful of puppy kibble, let sit for awhile until it expands and gets mushy. Then pour a little more warm water over that and make into a porridge. Pour some of the puppy replacement powder over top of it and mix together (the amount will be on the bottle). serve the pup, the pup may take a little while to catch on, but, it should be too much of a problem (after the pup has walked through a few times) :)

W

Whitedobelover

an you are going thave to have the feed that baby every 2 hours. because that baby will need it. plus as they said you should get milk replacement till the pup is 5 weeks. or more now... but do it toady dont wait that pup needs milk now..

Doberluv

What dreadful people to let their pups go that early.

Most pups are weaned around 4 weeks of age, give or take and can start on puppy food along with some porriage. Check with your vet.

The most important thing I can think of, if this pup is truly this young is to find some puppies it's age or close that he can spend time with. Being taken from littermates this young can really affect the socialization lessons that would otherwise be learned. Bite inhibition will not be learned and some other valuable lessons.

Let us know how it all turns out.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
pet stores also carry milk replacement..make sure that you do not turn the puppy on it's back to feed it..when the tummy feels round they are usually full..i grew up with a pup in one pocket and the bottle in the other..anyway if it is unusually weak you can add nutrical to this..a little placed on the roof of the mouth to be sucked down.will do wonders in bringing them around..keep them warm but not too much so...you need to see a vet for if the mama was not wormed the pup could have a belly full of round worms as well..let us know how everything turns out.

014509Bo

Here is a great article for you
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1651&articleid=887
I just wanted to bold out the part where it states by professional Vet's that pups can start being weaned at 3 1/2 weeks. :)

In most kennels, puppies get the first taste of food other than Mom’s milk at about 3½ weeks of age. This may seem early to you, but after working with numerous breeders and seeing many litters raised in our own homes, we can guarantee that the puppies of any breed can take food on their own at this age. To make a puppy mush, we stay with the same brand of food the mother is fed, selecting the company’s dry puppy food.
Prepare the puppy mush by placing 2 cups of high quality dry puppy food in a blender with 12.5 oz liquid puppy milk replacer and fill the rest of the blender with hot water. This should be blenderized until the consistency of human infant cereal. (This feeds 6-8 puppies of a medium-sized breed.) The puppies should receive 3-4 meals a day of this to start. Once the puppies have checked it out, walked in it, and have eaten some, the dam can be allowed to finish it and clean the puppies off. Each week, increase the amount of food, decrease the amount of the milk replacer and water that is added, and the time of blenderizing, so by 7 weeks, the puppies are eating dry food.

Members online

No members online now.