What breeds would you never own?

Doberdogs

Living on Doberman Drive
Great Dane - I can't handle the shorter lifespan. I just can't. My heart can't. But I think they are great dogs.

Long coated breeds - I am fine with dog hair (obviously!) but don't care for long coats and long hair all over the place. That does rule out a lot of breeds I understand. A whole lot. I also don't care for grooming I can't easily do myself. My short coated breeds are the best. And my cat doesn't even have real hair...

There are no dogs that I can say I don't like, mixes, purebreds, etc. I really love them all. Dobermans the best though! Someday I do want to own French Bulldog but right now we are too active and I have some concerns about them being able to keep up hiking and camping, etc. I also hope to one day own a Weim, as that is my significant others breed. We looked at Dogos for years, visited breeders, went to shows, but the lines are so inconsistent and lack breed type. We will wait some years.

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
For me:
No Chihuahuas (I like my neighbors, but I wouldn't own one)
Pretty much no tiny dogs except maybe a Dachshund...

No Hounds! Sorry Hound people, but they aren't for me at all, I find the baying sound horribly irritating.

No St Bernards/Mastiffs - I'm drool intolerant...well at least for stringers.

No Labs - too popular, *everyone* has one and they don't appeal to me.

No Chows - I don't trust them, sorry.

Other than that, the breeds I'd actively seek would be:

German Shepherd (obviously)
Golden Retriever
Weimaraner

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
MIN PINS!! every single one i have met has been a pain in the behind! yappy, nippy, hyper, needy, ugshgjksnghewg! never!

chinese cresteds (i dont like hairless dogs)
Mastiffs ( i cant STAND drool)
Any commonly dog aggresive breed (APBT ect..) im way to much of a dog park, dog beach person

As for breeds i WANT:
German shepherd.. Male, Sable <3
Papillion
Long haired Chihuahua
Doberman

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I was bitten by both a Golden Retriever & a Lab. Everyone thinks all Labs are good dogs, they're just perfect & that's why they're so popular. They could not be further than wrong.

Our neighbor in the town we used to live in had two Golden Retrievers that were very DA. They killed an elderly Rottweiler, mauled & killed my friend's Dachshund and when my mom ran out and grabbed the Dachshund the Goldens tore into her until she let the Dachshund go. They ripped into my past pit bull, and attacked Georgia when they broke into our yard before we moved.

We rescued a yellow Lab puppy two months ago who one month ago bit into Kierstyn, who is 2 years old. Kierstyn got a rip down her face, two black eyes and puncture marks.

Every Lab I've met at the dog park and the lake growls profusely at my dogs and are DA.

And have to add, my Labs can't be further from perfect. In fact, all of the dog breeds I've had I have had better luck with than my Labs. & I will never own Labs again.
I feel the need to defend the labbies here.....

You should meet Jack. He is loves other dogs. is generally a peace-maker, and I don't think I've ever even heard him growl in anything but play. He has his faults, but none of these are major temperament issues and generally I could not ask for a better temperament in a dog.

Every lab we've come across in the dog park has been a friendly dog. Not all of them were well behaved, but that is a training, not a temperament issue.

I see lots of dog people rag on labs, but honestly, you get bad examples of the breed in any dog that is popular.

A properly bred lab should be neither human nor dog aggressive. I have had Jack encounter dogs that have actively tried to attack him and he has not returned fire--even when he would have been totally justified as far as I'm concerned.

bubbatd

I know that there are exceptions to every breed , but to me they are toy ( which I would never own ) , medium and large would depend on the dog . It's hard for one who has had and owned and bred a breed for over 60 years to change . Yet if Ollie goes before I do and I can still own a dog , I'll go for any big lover ! To me that's the only down fall of aging .....I know what I can give to a dog , but would a dog be happy ?? Luckily I think Ollie is . way down the road when you're in my bracket you'll understand /

bnwalker2

My house is a zoo
I can't really think of any breeds that I'd absolutely be against owning or fostering. I've had bad experiences with many different breeds and mixes, but they were usually due to owner inexperience or stupidity.

Picklepaige

I'm not big on dogs I have to take to the groomer often. Short-hair is my preference.

Question: Why are so many people on here who will defend pit bulls and other "dangerous" breeds to the death ragging on chows? Maybe there is something about them that I don't know, but isn't that sort of hypocritical?

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I feel the need to defend the labbies here.....

You should meet Jack. He is loves other dogs. is generally a peace-maker, and I don't think I've ever even heard him growl in anything but play. He has his faults, but none of these are major temperament issues and generally I could not ask for a better temperament in a dog.

Every lab we've come across in the dog park has been a friendly dog. Not all of them were well behaved, but that is a training, not a temperament issue.

I see lots of dog people rag on labs, but honestly, you get bad examples of the breed in any dog that is popular.

A properly bred lab should be neither human nor dog aggressive. I have had Jack encounter dogs that have actively tried to attack him and he has not returned fire--even when he would have been totally justified as far as I'm concerned.
I have to agree with you. I think alot of people jump the gun to bash Labs too often. While they might not be for everyone, just because you got bit/chased/whatnot by a Lab, doesn't make them all bad. :rolleyes:

As for a breed I know I will never, EVER own: Beagle.

Breeds I wouldn't seek out, but wouldn't turn down if they needed a foster home or whatnot: Pitt Bulls, GSD, Chows, Cresties, Pugs (or any of the small, squishy faced breeds).

Maxy24

Question: Why are so many people on here who will defend pit bulls and other "dangerous" breeds to the death ragging on chows? Maybe there is something about them that I don't know, but isn't that sort of hypocritical?
yes, I think so. I think it's hypocritical for anyone to defend one breed with a bad, undeserved reputation and then go at another one for theirs. People are probably more comfortable with doing it because SO FAR they have not been targeted too much by BSL. But not everyone who dislikes Chows dislikes them for an undeserved bad reputation, I for one don't want to own one because they are independent. It's the same reason I will turn down many breeds and individual dogs from Chows and Shar-Peis to Great Pyrenees and certain Sight hounds.

F

FluffyZooCrew

I'm not ragging a chow. It's a breed I do not like, will not own, and that's my choice.

I was raised, every day of my life, around my best friend's chow. I spent every single day with that dog for years and years. And one day, it sunk it's teeth into my back, and latched onto me as I ran the 1/2 mile home. It had to have its jaws pried off of me before I could be rushed to the emergency room.

And this is not the first bad experience I've had with them. Unfortunately, I've never met a nice one.

I'm not ragging the breed. I rarely ever mention the breed unless it's brought up specifically, like right now. But as my own personal choice, I do not like them. Not because of a 'reputation', but because of pure bad experience with them.

S

Squishy22

I'm not big on dogs I have to take to the groomer often. Short-hair is my preference.

I agree. There are bad apples out of every breed. I dont base an opinion off of one or two or more bad examples of the breed. I dont think there is any breed that is supposed to be untrustworthy or have an unstable temperament. I've seen some nasty chihuahuas in my day, but yet they are one of my fave breeds, because I dont let those few bad encounters cloud my judgment. I've also seen some HA pitties as well, but I know that is FAR from what the breed is supposed to be and is.

As far as chows go, I owned a husky/chow mix and he was one of the most stable and loving dogs I've ever had. My next door neighbors chow is the sweetest guy ever and comes up to the fence so I can pet him, but aloof at night and will protect his family if need be.

Most labs I've met were very nice dogs. But a few I've come across act like rottweilers defending their territory behind a fence. I've come across some massively over done labs. Seems to be the fad now days.

Romy

Taxiderpy
There are several types of dogs I wouldn't actively seek out, but no specific breed on my "never" list.

I prefer dogs that breathe normally, so brachycephalic breeds wouldn't be something I'd look for. Any types that are so over exaggerated they no longer function, like certain strains of english bulldogs or basset hounds, etc. I also prefer independent dogs, so most herding dogs are at the bottom of the list.

That being said, all dogs are individuals and if the right individual fell into my life I could learn to deal with not walking them on hot days, or learn complicated grooming techniques, etc. I'll probably stick with mainly hounds, possibly northern breeds and pariah types, and see what life dishes out.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I don't care for a lot of hair obviously since all three of mine do not even have an undercoat.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I have to agree with you. I think alot of people jump the gun to bash Labs too often. While they might not be for everyone, just because you got bit/chased/whatnot by a Lab, doesn't make them all bad. :rolleyes:
I've seen labs described as "stupid," "without personality" "mindlessly obedient," "psycho," and "aggressive."

Honestly, it's something that really irritates me. I hear tons of lab-bashing from dog people, often in the same conversation where they are defending pits, rots, etc. A pit attacks someone and there are tons of people jumping to the breed's defense--it was the owner's fault--they should have seen it coming--a properly bred pit should never be HA. A lab attacks someone and the same people will go on and on about all the aggressive labs they know.

It seems like because labs are not the direct targets of BSL they are fair game, and that is simply hypocritical IMHO. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. They are all dogs, they all have teeth, they can all bite. Unstable and aggressive members of *all* breeds are the products of bad breeding and/or bad ownership.

Are labs "common?" Yes, they are. However, I don't choose the animals with which I am going to share my life based on how many other people own the breed. Neither Jack nor Sally were meant to be novelty items--they are part of our family.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I've seen labs described as "stupid," "without personality" "mindlessly obedient," "psycho," and "aggressive."

Honestly, it's something that really irritates me. I hear tons of lab-bashing from dog people, often in the same conversation where they are defending pits, rots, etc. A pit attacks someone and there are tons of people jumping to the breed's defense--it was the owner's fault--they should have seen it coming--a properly bred pit should never be HA. A lab attacks someone and the same people will go on and on about all the aggressive labs they know.

It seems like because labs are not the direct targets of BSL they are fair game, and that is simply hypocritical IMHO. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. They are all dogs, they all have teeth, they can all bite. Unstable and aggressive members of *all* breeds are the products of bad breeding and/or bad ownership.

Are labs "common?" Yes, they are. However, I don't choose the animals with which I am going to share my life based on how many other people own the breed. Neither Jack nor Sally were meant to be novelty items--they are part of our family.
It's not just labs. Labs may be one of the most popular targets, but so are other breeds like Chihuahuas (or small dogs in general). It's annoying, I agree. I can't count how many times threads (not just on this forum but on others) have turned into a bash the labs or bash the toy dogs fest. I have gotten sooooo many people in real life making fun of my dogs and they're not even chihuahuas! It's ridiculous.

The only thing you can do is make sure your dogs are good examples and try to change some minds that way. Hopefully by there being some good, responsible toy dog owners on this forum, people will realize that the mean, nasty chihuahuas they meet are just as much a result of their poor breeding and training as the HA pit bull.

On the other hand, I really will never own another labrador. It doesn't have anything to do with how good of dogs they are, they just don't appeal to me. Just like I will never own a shih tzu or a bulldog. I can't help it but they just don't have any kind of appeal for my own personal dogs. Of course I enjoy other people's dogs. I enjoy all well behaved dogs I meet. I do try to think about what I say before I do say it though. I think well what if I loved X breed and someone said this? Would I be offended? You can't change that people have preferences. I'm certainly not going to hound someone if they say they prefer a bigger dog or one with short hair or one that's not so prone to DA, etc. We all have preferences. It's just when people have to throw in a jab at the breed that it can annoy and get old ESPECIALLY when it's a stereotype you hear all the time. And especially when that stereotype comes from the bad examples of the breed. In the end, though, I've got the best dogs ever so it doesn't really matter. :p

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I'm not ragging a chow. It's a breed I do not like, will not own, and that's my choice.

I was raised, every day of my life, around my best friend's chow. I spent every single day with that dog for years and years. And one day, it sunk it's teeth into my back, and latched onto me as I ran the 1/2 mile home. It had to have its jaws pried off of me before I could be rushed to the emergency room.

And this is not the first bad experience I've had with them. Unfortunately, I've never met a nice one.

I'm not ragging the breed. I rarely ever mention the breed unless it's brought up specifically, like right now. But as my own personal choice, I do not like them. Not because of a 'reputation', but because of pure bad experience with them.
This is interesting.

Seems there are alot of people that, if they've been bitten by a certain breed, they write it off very quickly. Interesting. . .

For me personally, my first dog bite (and only dog bite) was a shepherd/collie mix dog while riding my bike down our neighborhood street.

Look what dogs I wound up with :rofl1:

just an observation....not really an opinion

general public perception is that labs are the perfect family dog....

gereral public perception of "dangerous" breeds are just that...they will take your face off..

There in lies the difference...and I think is the reason people feel the need to point out the *bad* labs.

It sounds redundant here...among us...but in the *real* world there are a majority of people that believe some breeds (esp labs) are saints and som'how above their animal instincts..

Personally now..I write off labs from list due to health issues, activity level and size....bad experiences add to my decision, but even with good experiences only...i'd never want one.

maka sensa?

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Since when is saying "I don't want to own ____ breed" hypocritical?

I'll defend anyone's right to have any dog they choose, but it doesn't mean I want that dog for myself.

I have no interest in high maintenance dogs (Bella doesn't count :p ) but if Jo Schmoe wants one, then good for him! (meaning ones that require extensive grooming, etc.)

Little dogs are cute, but not my cup of tea. I think when I'm older and can't handle 300 lbs of dog I'll have some smaller breeds, but right now I'm good with the ones I've got -thank you.

There are breeds I have no interest in owning... samoyeds, chows, huskies... beautiful dogs, but look at all that hair. :yikes: I'd live in an allergic state for the rest of my life, I barely get by with just my Banzai boy. ;)

I have lots of reasons as to why there are dogs on my "never to own" list, some are because of my feelings/hubby's feelings/our ability to care for them and some reasons are because I just don't want to and the dogs do not appeal to me. That is far from hypocritical, it's being smart and knowing what I, as a dog owner, feel that I am comfortable enough to handle. THAT is smart.

Members online