Is this myth true?

Saintgirl

In giant breeds this formula does not work in the slightest!! A 50lb pup at 4 months SHOULD weigh well over 100lbs at maturity.

We have a 180 pound mammoth at the hospital right now and...pardon me, that is just too much dog. ...particularly considering IT ISN'T LEASH TRAINED.
Trust me, 180lbs isn't so big once you get used to having it in your life. We always say that our 185lb boy isn't big, the other two are small! He seems like a normal sized dog to us!

My Pit mix Gus was 12 pounds when I got him at about 10 weeks old, and very skinny, even though he was being fed pretty much all he wanted to eat. At 4 months, he was an even skinnier looking 25 pounds, even though he was eating a ton of food, and my new van's interior, the hall carpet, shoes, furniture, etc. At a year, he was a still very skinny 48 pounds, with huge feet, and short, thick legs, with a tiny "waist". At 18 months, he was about 60, and had suddenly gotten a couple inches taller, and was much less "Dachshund with a giant head" looking than he was when he was little. It took until he was almost 2 and a half before he hit the 70 pound mark, topping out at a hard as a rock 75 at about 3. He ended up having basically a Pit body, with a brindle and white Pit coat under a Golden Ret coat, and a big, hound type head with amazingly big teeth. Everytime the vet would see him while he was growing up, he would look different, with more muscle. Over the years, no vet, or tech ever got his weight right by guessing at it. They always said, 45, 50, maybe 55, and were shocked when his 75 would come up on the display. He was very compact, and felt like picking up a bag of concrete that moved. Some pups just don't follow formulas..

Males: Height at the wither 60 cm to 65 cm
Weight 30 kg to 40 kg.

Females: Height at the wither 55 cm to 60 cm
Weight 22 kg - 32 kg
That is the FCI and SV standard as translated in their last publication

22kg is just under 50 lbs and 32 is just over 70lbs

and about 21 to 23.5 inches at the whithers

They aren't as big as most people are used to seeing.

Domestika

Trust me, 180lbs isn't so big once you get used to having it in your life. We always say that our 185lb boy isn't big, the other two are small! He seems like a normal sized dog to us!
Ohh...it would take some getting used to for me...if it wasn't trained!! We got kinda used to seeing the huge guy at the hospital. The shock of the size wore off...but it was quickly remembered when he started galloping away from you through the hospital. Not cool!

Domestika

Well...I don't know how she does it, but Nova's gained 10 pounds in less than two weeks. She's basically 4 months now and weighs 30 pounds. It'll be interesting to see how close she comes to the 60 pound mark full grown!

Of course, she's just starting to get healthier after a very long illness, so maybe she has some catching up to do.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Well...I don't know how she does it, but Nova's gained 10 pounds in less than two weeks. She's basically 4 months now and weighs 30 pounds. It'll be interesting to see how close she comes to the 60 pound mark full grown!

Of course, she's just starting to get healthier after a very long illness, so maybe she has some catching up to do.
That's great news. Here's hoping that she keep up with it. :)

That formula you are asking about is probably breed/type specific. Like Saintgirl said, it doesn't work on giant breeds. Strider was 25 lbs-ish at 4 months, now he is 75+ lbs-ish, and still growing. He's definitely a lot more than double.

Members online

No members online now.