How do I get him to start peeing outside?

Fran27

Jee, it's funny how you housetrain a dog, think you know everything about it, then you get a new puppy and you're all lost again.

Anyway, my new puppy hasn't peed nor pooped outside once since I got him. Ok, it's only 14 hours, but how am I supposed to make sure he actually pees outside even once? It's hard to use positive reinforcement if he doesn't even do the right thing once, lol.

So far I've caught him everytime he peed (which is hard, he doesn't crouch or anything so it's hard to notice it), said no, picked him up and took him outside. Then he just stands there and looks at me, wags his tail, starts moving around, but doesn't pee. My other dog peed twice in front of him and got treats for it, but the new one isn't taking the hint, lol.

So, I'm trying to remove the occasions of peeing inside as much as I can, by leaving him in his crate and taking him out every 30 minutes (or after a nap), after eating/drinking etc... Not helping, he just doesn't go at all. Hopefully he will have to eventually, and it will be outside and not in his crate :( I know if I let him go in his play pen he will pee there.

Any advice other than patience? He's 2 months old.

Fran, I feel for you. I went through the whole housetraining with my puppy who is now almost 6 months old and finally getting it. When we first got our puppy we tried the pee pads, we tried the newspapers, we tried catching him in the act and taking him outside, and finally around 12 weeks he just started getting it. We were taking him out about every 20 minutes to do business, still wasn't doing it, but as soon as he would come back inside, he would relieve himself. Just keep taking him outside and working at it, housetraining is an ordeal, but once he gets it, what a relief!!! Keep patient and order a bulk supply of nature's miracle!! :) BTW, congrats on Tips! He is beautiful and I love the name Tips much better than Paws!!!!

Members online

No members online now.