Beef soup bone...good thing or bad???

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Ok, today my grandparents were watching Mack (because our landlord had to do some work and he is afraid of Mack :rolleyes: ). Anyway, I just went to pick him up and my grandfather told me that they had given him a raw beef soup bone to chew on. Now, I don't know if it is good or bad that he gave him that. Mack seems ok, but should I be worried?

Barb04

Super Moderator
I'm not an expert, but they say if the bone is raw it's okay. I'm sure others will know if I'm wrong.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I was thinking it probably wouldn't kill him either. They used to give their old dogs those as well and they never got sick or died or nothin from them. I've been watching him really good and he seems ok, he isn't throwing up or acting strange. Infact, I think he's looking for another one.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
so would people suggest that I give him the bones on a regular basis? If I did how many times a week or month should he get one of these bones. Would the bone be considered part of his meals, so should I give him less food, or the same amount of food? The reason I am asking is because my grandparents said he really seemed to like it, and they offered to pick him up a thing of them. And should I avoid giving them to Hannah since she is only a little puppy?

oriondw

user not active
I give him 1-2 large bones per day. I cook them first though because he refuses to eat them raw. But he's also pushing 140 pounds.

I suggest giving them weekly. After they've gotten all the meat off, my girls will continue to chew on them. If we were giving them each a bone a day, though, we'd be feeding 83 bones a month - and they aren't exactly $cheap$ here.

As for the teeth cleaning - they work better than anything else I've seen. Toothbrushing has barely worked for me, while the bones work great, plus the girls actually ENJOY them.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
We got a pack for them and for three bones it costed us like a little under two dollars. Mack was all excited when we put them away, I think he thought he was going to get them right away.

Saje

Island dweller
That's about what I pay Julie. I can get about three soup bones for between a dollar and two dollars depending on weight. I'd give them everyday if I could afford it! But it's true that they'll chew on them long after they're clean.

You know it's best to freeze them first? And to NEVER feed cooked bones. I'm sure you do but just a reminder...

Saje

Island dweller
Those are the ones that will chip and cut your dogs stomach!

Edit: I've heard they also splinter and cut gums as well.

bubbatd

NEVER a cooked bone!! I start chip on a soup bone outside or in the garage...he usually takes 2 days to get the meat/ morrow etc off and if picked clean he can bring it inside ...he'll go to it for a month or so ...after that it's just another " toy ". I really can't find any "good" bone until fall and soup time.

bubbatd

Orion... I had goldens that like to "ripen" their bones.....let them lay out or let you dog bury them for a while. Don't cook !

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
so it's ok if the meat sits on the bone for a day or so? I would be afraid to let it sit, won't he get sick? Yeah I froze them for him, I gave it too him but he didn't like it cold he'll probably wait until it unfreezes.

Saje

Island dweller
LOL mine don't wait. I like them still frozen. It takes them longer to get everything out. Meat popsicles!

I don't worry about them sitting with meat in them. I just make sure they are outside!!!! I BELIEVE that the bacteria is fine since they have strong stomachs that are made for eating gross things. They are scavengers!

ohmai

so if the bone is not cooked, if there is meat on the bone it'd be red raw meat ?
And what exactly is soup bone..? Sorry I don't understand.

Members online

No members online now.