Dew claws on an adult dog; possible to remove?

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
My male dodger has all 4 dewclaws and there such a pain to deal with, he hates his feet being touched and there sooo tiny there difficult to get to with the clippers anyhow...

Well hes gonna be going in to be neutered sometime in the next couple of months (cash dependant) and i was wondering if its possible and if anyone has had their adult dogs dewclaws removed while under for another procedure.

Now i know most dogs have their dewies removed at 3 days (i had all the pups dewies removed at 3 days) and if left to mature they usually fuse to the bone (making removal painfull and potentially dangerous) however dodgers are LOSE, i can actually move the toe that the dew claw is attatched too and wiggle it round wihtout any discomfort to dodger, its got that "lose tooth" kind of connection...
Would this make removal do-able.
I worry so much, hes such an active little man and hes caught them a few times, if theres any way to remove them it would be so much easier on him (and me) but i cant find any info online and wondered if anyone has had it done.

Of course im gonna talk to the vet about it when he goes in for shots in 2 weeks but id like to know if anyone has experience with removal and forcefully removed (caught and torn out) dewclaws...

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
My current puppy came with one dew claw still on. The vet said it would be easy to remove while she is already under when she is spayed.

Elissa

Lizmo

Water Junkie
My male dodger has all 4 dewclaws
WOW!!!! :yikes: 4 of them!!!!!

Lizzie was from the shelter (nothing done to her and she had her front dew clews) know how did she not have the back ones too??? :confused:

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
all dogs are born with the front dewclaws and aproximatly 25% are born with back dewclaws also...dodger is one of the 25% only 1 of the 4 puppies had all 4, the rest just had the front...

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
Yah all dogs aren't born with hind dew claws.

As for the answer at hand, I don't know. I wouldn't think it'd be much of a problem as I think there's some tissue between the claw and the bone.

But honestly I've only watched about three dew claw removals and they've been on puppies. That and a tail docking are the most gut wrenching 'surgeries' in my opinion. No anesthesia or anything. Makes me queezy everytime I hold for one.

showpug

For some dogs, they are a functioning claw. I know on Bulldogs, they are to be left on and not removed. I know a lot of respected Bullmastiff people that leave them on as well. My vet friend who is also a breeder demands that they are viewed as a usefull digit and not removed. For others, they are a pain and can get caught and become disasterous.

During my clinic days, I saw a few adult dogs have them removed during a spay/neuter. They did fine, but it was a hassle for a lot of owners to try and prevent the licking and chewing.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
i know for some breed standards the dew claw should be left intact and is a usefull digit for many breeds (especially the bully type breeds who are still very mastif like, and herding breeds who use them for the extra grip) but my chis dont use them, vixie has her front and they seem fused but there also very close to the body and fairly easy to clip...
Dodgers however are a part of a very prominent 5th toe...and very difficult to get to because when your trying to clip them they move around...and theres not enough to hold to keep the toe still lol.
he gets his caught on everything, and thats when there short...there also rather high on his leg...or mabe he just walks tippy toe alot...

Good to know it can be done, as i said ill talk to my vet about it and see what she says. i just dont want to find him one dage with it torn off...id rather have them remove them safley under anesthetic than torn...

Members online

No members online now.