Worms.. But No Worms?

Well when i first got scarlet the lady said she didn't give her any shots or wormer. I mean when we called 1st she gave us wrong directions then she said they were males and there females :rolleyes:. So anyways when i was checking her stool she didn't have any worms when i got my alaskan at 9wks she wasn't wormed either but her stool had worms in it? I simply gave her some worm medication and after about a week or so she was fine? I'm just wondering if maybe the lady did worm her or something? Or is there more to this problem than i think?

bubbatd

My female was always clear of any worms before breeding and I never had a litter with worms. I took stool samples in at 4 and 7 weeks just in case.

bubbatd

Puppy ... the only way they can have worms if if Mom has them .

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Yeah, if the mom is clear the pups will be clear. Auggie got a fecal float on his first vet checkup with me just to be sure. It's certainly not a "problem" for your dog to not have worms in her stool...

Have you taken this puppy in to the vet for an initial health checkup? You need to.

bubbatd

Folks ... remember that the only worms that usually don't show up in stools are tape worms .... and these are only from fleas . NO PUPPIES SHOULD GO HOME WITH WORMS ....

Julie

I am back again.
There are dormant larvae in the tissues
of most adult dogs and these can be activated around the 42nd day of the
pregnancy and then migrate to the fetuses in the uterus and become active
infections.
Helpful questions and answers.. http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dworms.html

This is why a bitch can be "worm free", yet still pass worms onto the pups.
If I knew the pup hasn't been dewormed, I would give a "preventative" dose of pyrantel pamoate, then again in two weeks.

Tape worm segments are easily seen in dog waste, they look like a very short flat worm that has a wave like motion....when they have been expelled for long enough to dry up, they look like a grain of rice, sometimes on bedding, or on the dog's hair around his butt. They also come from a dog swallowing an infected flea. (or eating rodents, rabbits, or other animals that have been infected themselves.) On top of seeing the segments there would be a very long tapeworm hooked onto the intestines, and just the lower pieces shed.

You can also easily see roundworms, but they are not expelled during "every" bowel movement. Neither are tapes for that matter.

Hookworms cannot be seen by just looking.

The pyrantel pamoate will kill round worms and hook worms.

If you have seen the tapeworm segments you need something else such as praziquantel, which only needs one dose, but it would be best to rid of any fleas first.

IMHO, the best way to deal with worms........
Check stools frequently...
And do preventative dewormings, depending on risk and contact.

If your breeder said she didn't give any shots or dewormers, I would believe it. Why would someone lie about not doing preventative care.

Best Wishes,

I brought my pup home at the ripe old age of six weeks and knew nothing!!!!!

10 weeks and tons of books and websites later - I feel like a plethora of puppy knowledge and experience. My pup was dewormed by his breeder and I thought this meant he had no worms until I found these little rice things in his pack and play. After doing research on the internet I found out these were tapeworm segments - you can't miss these let me tell you!! Took him to the vet who gave me Drontin? to deworm him again. For a couple of days I saw a couple of half dead tapeworms (white, flat head, wiggling, these were short) in his stool and that was the end of that!!

Just about everybody I know that ever had a puppy brought it home with worms or it had them right after. I have always been told that Mom can "appear" worm free and flea free for that matter and pups can still have both. Tapeworms come from ingesting a flea with the larvea in it.

I think it is just good practice to deworm a pup whether you see worms or not, or whether mom has them or not.

Members online

No members online now.