Camera shopping

Katem

My camera s**t the bed over a month ago and I’m missing some great photo opportunities now. Pig is in heat and has been wearing some awfully ridiculous captain america underpants and her new winter coat is supposed to be delivered today. Using my phone just isn't cutting it.

I’ve narrowed my camera choices down to the Canon 60D, Nikon D90 or Nikon D7000. I recently had the chanced to play around with my brother’s 60D and I really liked it. I’m just not completely sold on Canon. Theoretically, it would be the wiser choice. Since my brother has a Canon, we would be able to share lenses, keeping costs down. Good idea in theory, but not something that is likely to happen. We don’t live together, so it would be impractical to share the more common lenses.

As for the Nikons, the only hands on experience I have with them is from toying around in the store. I do prefer its control layout though. When I first picked up my brother’s Canon I had trouble getting used to the button placement. I adjusted to it quickly enough, but the Nikon’s layout just seems more intuitive to me.

So, does anyone here have any of these cameras? What do you like about the camera? Is there anything that bothers you about it? Do you have a different camera that you love/would recommend?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I shoot Nikon, currently possess the D80, though I'm looking at upgrading to the D7000 as soon as I can. From the research I've done, the D90 and the D7000 are nearly indistinguishable in most aspects and the 7000 beats out the 90 in many of them. The price is nearly the same as well.

I was wanting to get either a D90 or D300, then I realized that both are getting rather outdated and if I want something from the "Hundred Series", I need to just save up for the D700. The D7000 is a compromise.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Zoom, why the 700 over the 7000?

I'm kind of in the boat of IF I get an upgrade in the near future, I want something that won't need to be "upgraded" for a long time. I've been checking out the 5100, 700, and 7000. I seem like the 7000 would be the best, though? So I'm curious as to why you would choose the 700 over the 7000.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
How much do dslr's cost over there?

They are STUPID expensive this way.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
The 700 is in the "nearly pro" series, where as the 7000 is still technically in the lower "serious amateur" series. Nikon grades their cameras backwards, it seems. The lower the number, the higher the quality. Kind of. The 70/80/90 sort of screw up that easy categorizing, because while they're usually a better camera than say the 3000/4000/5000, they're not as good as the 300/700/800. The top of the line is the D3X. Runs about $10K for the body alone.

The 300/700/800 are the bodies used by those who are pro--or nearly so--but can't shell out for the D3 series yet.

The 7000 seems to be the compromise between coming out with another body in the 10's series (the 70/80/90 series) and providing a bridging price point for those who can't, or just don't want to, shell out for the new 700.

Members online

No members online now.