Blondie and Kids

Blondie

And you wonder why Blondie doesn't like kids? Every day we let him go out in the garden, because we have gates and he won't get outside (every house in this country has gates... crazy way of self protection against burglars...) and I find out today that there was this kid passing by running, then he turned around and ran all in front of the house again and again and again. Blondie of course started getting nervous, and barking to the kid, who started making weird noises and yelling at him, while running back and forth in front of the gates. Of course I went outside for the kid to see me, and can you believe as soon as I turned my back again, he started throwing little stones and pieces of broken glass to the puppy? We found at least 3 objects in the garage, behind the gates, that the kid threw at him. We got all pissed, my sister and me, and got him inside (not too easily cos he was all pissed off and didn't want to get inside). Now I'm fretting because I'll have to start working again soon (in February) and I don't want Blondie to get hurt while I'm away :( I'm just hopeful my mom, dad or sister who are here during the day keep him inside, no matter how bored he gets.

tl_ashmore

Spoiled Rotten Dog
You really need to talk to the kids parents. I used to have a couple of kids that would tease my pit bull and my sisters boxer. We jumped all over those kids and told their parents. I mean, that way, if the dogs somehow got out, and the kids were teasing them, and then one of the dogs bit them, they would know why...Kids need to know that teasing dogs can really scare them, and they will do just about anything to defend themselves. I don't know why some kids are so mean. But, yes, please talk to the parents and let them know what has been going on. In the meantime, I wouldn't keep Blondie outside by herself...

blondies mommy, i feel for you...kids can be very torturous...i have had the same problem here at our house, we have an alley in back of our house (kinda like a driveway for all the houses) and the nieghbor kids ride their bikes and play in the alley...no problem...riiiight...the one day i heard sabre losing his mind, barking and carrying on...i went to the door to look, and low and behold there are my 3 nieghbor kids teasing the dog, barking at him, and taunting him...i stood in the doorway for a moment, then i walked outside, the kids proceeded to run, i yelled for them to stop, and surprising enough they did, i talked to them about teasing the dog, and then took them home to mom, who proceeded to say my dogs are dangerous...blah...blah...blah...in the four years we have lived here, my dogs have never bit anyone, never chased anyone and definatly never got out of the yard, so how are they dangerous??? what because they bark at your little brats when they torture them???

some parents are ignorant to their children and think they are angels, she denied that her kids would EVER torture or tease a dog...blah...blah...blah...

i was getting no where wit hthis woman...i just told her again, please keep an eye on your kids...

well since then they have come by one more time and taunted both dogs...and datyn is all show, barkin, growlin...bouncing up and down, the kids thought that was funny..and started throwing stuff...i watched them...hehe...and then i got my digital camera, and took a picture of them and they where getting ready to throw something at the dog, a rock and not a small one...got em right in action...took my camera up to the mom...her jaw hit the floor...and then i said NOW keep your god **** kids away from my fence...

try to get the kid in action...follow him home and tell his mother...or just go up and speak with her...maybe she will talk to her kid...

good luck!

Blondie

Thanks everybody. But you know what my problem is? These people... this neighborhood, I'm sure if I talked to the kid's parents, it'll just get worse for Blondie. Next time they can even poison him! I'm sure you guys know there are kinds and kinds of people. Some will listen to you, and some others will feel so _threatened_ by someone speaking ill of their little "angels" they'd take it out on Blondie. :( I guess he'll just never stay outside on his own. Poor little baby... as if his life hadn't been difficult this far.

Gosh, that is horrible......luckly all of the 'neighborhood' kids around here like our dogs. I think the only ones that I wouldn't trust around our dogs alone are two of them.....they just give me the feeling that they might be petting the dog one sec. then hitting them the next.
But the good thing about them is I think that they look up to me and respect me, so if they were ever doing something to the dogs and I told them to stop, I think they would just because they don't want to make me mad. lol

I wish that could be reported. I mean, if the state or whatever thinks dogs as 'property', wouldn't a neighbor abusing/tearing up your private property get in trouble? Like if dogs were your car or something......and a neighbor started throwing rocks at it and was tearing it up.....couldn't they get in trouble for that?

Also, if you have money to spend, maybe you could get a really tall privicay fence? That would be kinda hard to torment a dog through.

Anyways, I wish you luck with whatever you choose to do. I'm so glad all of our neighbors are dog freindly. If our dogs where wandering around, they wouldn't hurt them.
There was actually a little girl (who isn't so little anymore. lol maybe around 10-12.) who missed Blackie once we started penning him up unstead of letting him run loose all of the time, because Blackie would go 'visiting' I guess, and he'd come charging out of the corn feild to go and see her. I think everybody in the neighborhood (excluding the new neighbors) knows who Blackie is. lol And they all like him.

Poor little Blondie! He's had some rough breaks already. And I totally understand about you not wanting to stir these people up to do anything worse! I think you're right; Blondie will have to be indoors unless someone is outside with him. I doubt he'll mind so much - you've got plenty of toys for him and he's well loved.

josephine

I know the feeling,believe me i do!I found a bone in my front yard two days ago.Even if it was for good purpose,the bone was too sharp(what's wrong with people messing with other peoples dogs).I'm so afraid that someone might actually poison her,so i don't let her be on her own on the front yard...Also kids are passing by,and they make fun of her like they have never seen a small dog before(they don't know though what she can do even for a small dog,looks doesn't count)

Poor blondie!
I agree with Renee,when you have to be absent from home let her indoors.

candy722

I felt the same way. My cousins who were 7 a couple of years ago used to throw water balloons at my previous dog. IT's so sad. I think it tramatized him and from then on he didn't like kids at all.

We were lucky when I was a kid, the neighbor-moms were pretty good about dealing with their kids teasing animals. Mickey, my Toy Terrier (Terror?) was constantly being teased by some of the neighborhood boys. They'd throw things at her over the fence, try to knock her off the pool deck with broomhandles, etc. When they started poking at her through the knot holes in the fence they went too far. Dumb kids! They started taunting her and sticking their fingers through. She got all of them. Every single finger that came through the fence! Of course, they went home crying to their mothers (for such a little critter she packed a big bite, and she'd get you three or four times before you could react), and promptly got sent back over to our house to apologize for teasing the dog!

Of course, Mickey hated little boys for the rest of her very long life . . . and after one of my cousins tried to wind her up like a toy by her little stub tail (she was born without a tail) she wasn't too trusting of little girls either.

Blondie

What's so wrong with kids?!? That's what I ask myself. After that annoying kid incident, my cousin came visiting. He often comes, and Blondie's affectionate to him, they play rude (boys :rolleyes: ) and get along just fine. Well, he's a adult and his dalmatian dog just had 12 puppies, so they really like dogs and know how to handle them. But yesterday, he brought his 9 year-old son with him. It's not the first time he comes, Blondie likes him ok to play with... but you can imagine my reaction... More kids :mad: They were playing in my bedroom and Blondie went under the bed (he sometimes does that) and the kid started poking him on the face with his shoe. I didn't realize it because I was talking to my cousin about the computer until I heard Blondie growling... And I said, oh no, not again Blondie! The father caught it and scolded the kid, not to pester Blondie and the boy said "He's a mean dog". I was about to say something but my cousin said, "No, he's not a mean dog, every time I come here he plays with me, and is very affectionate. It was because _you_ are bothering him, stop right now". :D Some parents can really "teach" some common sense to their kids... And then it was over, no more bothering the dog, no more growling and they could still play some more before they left.

Last night I was sitting on my bead reading and Rush (our 11yr old tabby cat) came up on the bed with me and was laying down. Well, after maybe 5 min. Wesley, JeanAnne, and Melanie (Wes and JeanAnne are 9yr old twins and Mel is 4) came in to my room and started to talk real loud and they were all trying to pet Rush at the same time.
Well, Rush walked away from them and sat at the oppisite end of the bed. So then they went over there and started petting him (loudly and all at the same time, not so gently) so got up agian and came and sat right next to me.
JeanAnne was like, "Why won't he let us pet him? I guess he doesn't love us." [she said the last part sarcasticly] and I said, "No, he likes you but he won't let you pet him because you are being loud and way to pushy! So maybe if you calm down and quiet down he will let you pet him. So stop because he doesn't like it."
So they all stopped and left.

Wes and JeanAnne need to be able to read a cats/dogs warning signs so if they are ever at a freinds house or whatever, and they are petting their cat or dog, they know when they have gone to far. Melanie knows enough that she is supposed to be gentle with small animals (like cats and small dogs, rabbits, etc) but she thinks she can pet bigger dogs as roughly as she pleases.

I am gald to hear that somebody actually knows how to discipline their kids when it comes to teasing animals!

Members online