Sugar Substitute May Be Dangerous to Dogs

Corgimom

I'm a registered dietitian and received this in an e-mail from Today's Dietitian, thought I'd pass it on here to you.

Sugar Substitute May Be Dangerous to Dogs

While veterinarians have suspected that the sugar substitute xylitol can make dogs sick, there is now further clinical evidence of an association between the product and possible liver failure in dogs.

A clinical report that appeared in a recent issue of the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association discusses the sometimes-fatal conditions developed by dogs that have ingested xylitol, a naturally occurring sweetener found in many sugar-free products.

"The potential for severe illness is very high," says veterinary toxicologist Sharon Gwaltney-Brant, who along with veterinarian Eric K. Dunayer, coauthored the report.

In the report, Dunayer and Gwaltney-Brant of the Animal Poison Control enter of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in Urbana, Ill., gathered information on eight dogs treated between 2003 and 2005 after eating products containing xylitol. Each dog became ill, and while three of the dogs survived, five of the pets either died or had to be euthanized because of liver failure.

Gwaltney-Brant says three additional dogs that ingested xylitol after the study was conducted either died or had to be euthanized after becoming ill due to liver failure.

The number of xylitol-related pet exposures is rising. Reported xylitol exposures climbed from 70 in 2004 to 170 in 2005. As of August, the Poison Control Center reported 114 cases of xylitol exposure in 2006.

Further studies need to be conducted to establish a direct link between xylitol ingestion by dogs and liver damage.

— Source: American Veterinary Medical Association

W

whatszmatter

so what are your opinions on xylitol for human use? I see it being marketed as a nasal spray and by dentists? any inside scoop or reputable place to research it? Thanks in advance.

bubbatd

I know I get horrible headaches from artificial sweeteners . As to the article ...a vet wrote that same finding in our paper a month ago . Only he said it WAS dangerous and potentially deadly to small dogs . Watch those fast food packets folks !

DryCreek

I remember watching a science show about artificial sweeteners in diet pops. They were trying to prove/disprove a statement made. What was found was that the sweetener, once processed by the liver, created formaldehyde.:yikes:

Corgimom

so what are your opinions on xylitol for human use? I see it being marketed as a nasal spray and by dentists? any inside scoop or reputable place to research it? Thanks in advance.
I'm kind of OK with xylitol in small amounts, but if you ingest large amounts it can cause diarrhea. Xylitol was invented for diabetics as a replacement for sugar (before we knew how to better control blood glucose with insulin), and dentists like it because it doesn't cause cavities, which is why you see it in sugarless gum. I've not seen the nasal spray yet? There's a ton of research available and has been around for quite a while, maybe 30 or 40 years now. Most people are fine with it, but then again I would probably prefer not ingesting any kind of sugar substitute.

short abstract regarding safty on pubmed:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=133999&dopt=Abstract

Members online

No members online now.