Is this normal?

I've had puppies before, several times. But i've got a question

I bought Luca (Pronounced Luke-Ah... Some people like to call him Luck-ah for some reason) lol thought i'd clarify with everyone. ANYHOW i bought him from a pet store in the mall. They have all of their animals on a "nutrience" diet.... It seems to be that all animals on a Nutrience diet have strange poop. Is there something in the food?
I plan on switching his diet slowly, so i bought a bag of Nutrience to switch him over to another food the correct way. but his poop is VERY potent, and very runny. it's not the runs, or he'd have them all over the house. It seems to have alot of liquid though, is there something about Nutrience that perhaps i should know about? Apollo was on Alpo, and despite the fact he's an adult dog, his poop was normal, LOL. I've never seen puppy poo like this before, and my friends cats that she bought from the same store also had runny poop when she first got them and they were on the nutrience diet.

OH another quick question - Something i don't know
Can puppy's eat adult dog food if it's moistened with water so it's not to hard on their tiny jaws?

K serena, I'll check that one out

This is actually the most reveered pet store in kingston. They don't sell alot of purebred dogs, but when they do they come with papers. the two himalayan kittens my friend bought were purebred, she got all papers with them. They just seem to all have runny poop. The people that work there are vet technicians, some are still students while some have graduated. I grew up and know the one that has graduated. I've already taken him to the vet, and the vet said he's a perfectly healthy puppy (which is good news, to me and im sure most of you lol)
I just think it has something to do with the diet... :S
i'm on my way to that forum now though

Thank you serena, i appreciate hearing your point of view, Could you please guide me to these forums? they'd be very beneficial to me in the future. Perhaps petstores ARE generic messes, this is the first time i've ever bought from one. Our yorkie came from a responsible breeder, and Apollo he came from the humane society. I see no problems with him so far, but perhaps I was the lucky one. I would also appreciate a link to some of the forums on dog food, i've been looking since my last post and i can't find anything. I'll take your word for it, and won't buy from there again. I just felt a connection - stronger than anything i've felt before. He's very intellegent (at 2 months, i know, very early, i think it's supposed to be 3 before they leave their mother, but he is fully house trained, can sit, shake paw and lay down on command) i call him the Canine Einstien. Help from someone as educated as you would be greatly appreciated :)

JRT_Rattie_Mom

Terrier Lover!
Serena said:
There is no such thing as a "revered" petstore, everyone pet store that sells animals is horrible and downright EVIL.. They are only causing the suffering of more animals, and every concerned pet owners needs to discourage the sale of animals in petstores...

It's important that you find out exactly why getting an animal from a pet store is so terrible....
Just to let you know how right Serena is about the pet store dogs. I would never have gone to a pet store to "purchase" a dog. We wanted to adopt a "friend" for our Lucy (Jack Russell Terrier) from the humane society, or rescue etc. As things turned out, we adopted our 2nd doggie girl, a Rat Terrier named Holly at a terrier rescue. They'd had her since she was 8 weeks old (we adopted Holly at 14 weeks) and she had been turned in to the rescue at 8 weeks, after the "backyard breeders" sold all of her siblings to a local pet store, with a pretty poor reputation.

Holly was born with the umbilical cord wrapped around one of her hind legs, which caused her to have problems using that leg. At the time the pet store "bought" the rest of the litter, Holly was still favoring that leg (even though it is now about 98% normal!) and the pet store would not take Holly (so lucky for Holly!) So... as you can see... this "wonderful" breeder (NOT! :mad: ) pretty much threw our Holly out... just like garbage... when she wasn't going to make them any money!! These "people"??? had no idea whether Holly would find a loving home, or not!

We paid the rescue organization about what we would have paid a reputable breeder for Holly, even though we have no idea what her background is. Holly has been our "angel" puppy... she is so smart, sweet, and just perfect in every way! At 8 months old she has still been perfectly healthy.. and we can only hope that she continues to stay this healthy. We adopted Holly from a registered nonprofit organization, so any money we paid for her goes to rescue MANY other dogs, and provide health care, food etc. and is all tax deductible to us.

PLEASE! Anyone that is looking for a dog... if you want a "purebred" dog... check out some of the purebred dog rescues. Many rescue organizations have web sites... and you can still "adopt" a purebreed dog that needs a home. If you don't need/want a purebred dog... PLEASE go to your local humane society, animal shelter, rescue etc. DON'T even look at the local pet store!

Awww, c'mon, Karen! I have so much fun periodically cruising through a pet store, asking them questions they can't answer, commenting (in front of customers) on the unsafe toys, the poor quality kibble sold for more than the price of good quality food, the wire flooring in the cages with no place comfortable for the animals . . . Don't tell me you want me to stop going into pet stores! :D

I know i made a mistake, I admit it. I had adopted apollo from the humane society. I didn't return him there, I had given him to my cousin's busdriver who has a extrememly large backyard that's completely fenced in, and he has several other dogs to play with. I think what i did for him was best, I gave him what he needed!!!
As for Luca, I wasn't generally looking for anything in particular. I didn't even go in with the intention to walk out with a new furry friend. He's definately a crossbreed, Alaskan Husky and something else, he's got three different colors of fur and two different colors of skin around his eyes. When you look at him up close, it looks like one eye is smaller than the other (which i found was becuase one has a pinkish skin around it and the other is brown) There were several other small dogs there, There was a Pomeranian/Chi, and two "Maltese" After what i've heard, who knows if they are purebred or not. luca was alone in one of the corner cages, im the one who noticed him becuase i'm the kind of person that always looks for the big dogs out of the bunch. I already have a small dog so i want a change. When i took him out, suddenly people just started flocking towards us, the people at the pet store were nice enough to let me sneak back into the staff area to spend some time with him without being mauled by about 30 people. i felt a strong connection between him and I. he's very special to me now, and despite the fact that it was a pet store i bought him from, WHO WILL NEVER get my business again i promise you all that, I wouldn't give him up for the world, and nothing could take him away from me :)
I am sorry i disapointed you all, I never read any of those threads before. If i would have known, i wouldn't have bothered to go in.

JRT_Rattie_Mom

Terrier Lover!
Renee750il said:
Awww, c'mon, Karen! I have so much fun periodically cruising through a pet store, asking them questions they can't answer, commenting (in front of customers) on the unsafe toys, the poor quality kibble sold for more than the price of good quality food, the wire flooring in the cages with no place comfortable for the animals . . . Don't tell me you want me to stop going into pet stores! :D
LOL Renee!

Well, YOU can go to pet stores then ;) but I am way too weak... and I know exactly why people purchase dogs at pet stores. I would definitely end up being one of them! Is is too hard not to believe we doing the "best" thing for those puppies by buying them, and getting them out of that place! :mad:

JRT_Rattie_Mom

Terrier Lover!
Little_Kroovy said:
i felt a strong connection between him and I. he's very special to me now, and despite the fact that it was a pet store i bought him from, WHO WILL NEVER get my business again i promise you all that, I wouldn't give him up for the world, and nothing could take him away from me :)
I am sorry i disapointed you all, I never read any of those threads before. If i would have known, i wouldn't have bothered to go in.
Luca is such a doll, and I can see why you couldn't leave without him! As I just told Renee, I can't go into the pet stores. I know I'm weak, and can't resist those furbabies that never asked to be born, let alone sold to a pet store :( Just enjoy your Luca.. and I'm so glad he found a good home!

candy722

I don't think you should feed your puppy adult food. Puppies need alot of nutrients that adult won't have compared to puppy food.

I completely understand how you couldn't resist Luca. He looks like an absolute love.

You know you can count on us to be with you every step of the way when you need help or advice or just want to talk about your adorable boy.

Hahaha thanks Renee. He is a sweetheart, but somethig strange happens, every night at around midnight? He goes HAYWIRE and does laps around our basement furniture, he's having a good time cause he's wagging his little tail, it's just strange, becuase he's so docile and laid back in the daytime which is totally abnormal for a puppy but at midnight, Whew boy! bring out the paddled puppy kennel LOL

oh, and thank you JRT mom. I also find it very difficult to walk into pet stores. Luca is why LOL. I've gone into the same store millions of times, as well as all the other pet stores, and never ever EVER considered buying a dog from there. Not sure why, intuition i guess. It was just something about the way he just... Stared out at everyone, and nobody paid ANY attention to him. He's a sweetheart, and he's so smart! I do'nt know what the heck kind of dog he is though, they said Alaskan Husky cross, but those aren't husky colors at all LOL

are you sure? i've been looking it up, and it says there is one and that it's smaller than the siberian and DEFINATLEY smaller than the malamute. But who knows for sure?
For now on he's just my little Heinz 57 lol

OHhhhh trust me, Spoiled he will be lol.
Who would i contact to find out what types of dog he has in him.
I'm sure i could find out if i contacted the vet, but when the case isn't too severe i like to ask here first and get everyones ideas and opinions. He's been a blast to take care of, he's a pup with personality that's for sure!

You may never have a "definite" answer, but as your pup gets older, you'll get better clues from behaviours AND physical characteristics.

Vets sometimes make the worst guesses about mixed breeds. That's not necessarily something that is terribly important other than being able to identify "types" in order to be cognizant of health problems that go along with certain breed types.

Members online

No members online now.