What is your heritage?

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
I'm 1/4 Dutch, 1/4 Irish, and 1/2 English. My dad's side of the family came over on the Mayflower.

What about you?

krissy

I am half Chinese and half English (technically 1/32 Italian on my English side... but I think that's too dilute to count!)

ETA: and I am first generation Canadian. Both my parents immigrated to Canada prior to meeting.

And I get sick of fielding "is that your REAL mother?" so I used to tell people I was adopted from a Russian orphanage and then laugh when people believed me. :rofl1:

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Polish, Slovakian, Italian.... with some other random countries thrown in for good measure.

That's really all I know about my heritage, not something that's ever really been talked about much. No clue when anyone came over here or any of that.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
My dad's side is predominantly German. My mom is mainly English and German, with a hint of Native American. I'm sure there are other nationalities in there as well, especially on my mom's side.

No idea when we migrated over. I think my dad has us traced back 5 generations?

Equinox

All Chinese, so pretty boring :p

Mother is from Henan, father is from Shanghai. They met here in Oregon, though, after they came to the US, so I was born here in Portland.

My mom's side is German, my dad's side is Norwegian. So Norwegian that it was a bit of a scandal that my father married a German woman.

My husband's lineage is more interesting. Aside from being his own little melting pot, he has some Romany ancestry and apparently at some point a pair of young lovers ran off to America because their parents didn't approve due to differences in their families' social standing.

JacksonsMom

This is something I really wish I knew more about. I'd love to find out about my ancestors.

All I know is I'm Irish (that's clear by my freckles, and moms red hair lol) and some German thrown in there per my grandma's info.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
My maternal side- my mom was born in the US, but my grandmother is English and my grandfather was Danish. (Not just in heritage, but both were born and raised in England and Denmark, respectively, and immigrated here later in life.)
My paternal side- my grandpa was French Canadian and my grandma is American, I know she's part Irish going back.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I'm a mutt of European decent--some Irish and English with a larger percentage Swiss, German, and Eastern European.

Interesting family fact--my great great uncle on my dad's side was tarred and feathered by the KKK for being Catholic o_O

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Polish, German, and Irish.

To be specific.... the genealogy research shows that I am descended from Polish kings, German farmers, and Irish murderers. :)

Mostly German..then French. A bit of english Irish, native american and who knows what else from there...

BUT

Everyone usually assumes I am italian lol

Genealogy is my hobby! My Dad was from Poland (1/2). On my Mother's side I've got German (1/4), Irish (1/8), and British (1/8).

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I'm pretty much a mish-mash of European descent. I've done a lot of ancestry research but it is hard in my family as the trails stop for most sides of the family in the early 1800s. My family has been in North America forever. I was the 9th generation born in Texas alone. It is assumed my last name is an Anglicized German last name but we don't know for sure.

I did trace a few sides of the family back to England, Ireland, and Germany. I think those are probably the main countries though my mom's maiden name was definitely Scottish. There'd always been rumors of so-and-so having Indian in them but I've found absolutely zero of that in my research.

The best recorded side of the family is the Earp side. Yes, that would be Wyatt Earp's family. I always feel like I should be more badass.

ETA: The Earps came from Ireland.

Snark

Mutts to you
Irish (great-great grandparents came over during the Potato Famine in Ireland; family history says great-great grandmother was put on a ship to come to America that was becalmed on the way. The only food left to eat onboard by the time they docked were oranges. She never touched another orange for the rest of her life); also German, English.
An ancestor of Dad's is the one who struck Richard III in the head with a halberd and saved Henry VII during the Battle of Bosworth; he was allowed to marry one of Henry's cousins as a reward, so Dad is distantly related to the Tudors.

SpringerLover

Also, you live in Minnesota. :rofl1:
True dat! Although, I've got some german and such from my dad's mom's side.

But my mom's dad's parents came over on a boat and we still have the trunk they used to bring their belongings. I actually have much of my geneology somewhere that I had to interview relatives to get for a high school project. As annoying and weird as it was at the time, I like having it!

Members online

No members online now.