My family disapproves of my breed choice

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
My family can think what they like..... They don't have to live with them!

Taqroy

My parents have disapproved of every dog I've ever wanted to get. With Murphy I was too young, and it was too much responsibility, and what do you want a dog for anyway. And with Mu it was why do you need a second dog, you've never had a puppy, why would you get a heeler mix. By the time Tipper got here I had learned to ignore them. :p

Now (5 years after I got Murph) they try to steal him on a regular basis. They are really impressed with Mu's training and they adore Tipper. If a Crested is something you really want and you've done the research on, then get one. It's not about your family.

With rescue, I feel like I take a chance of health problems arising, but with breeding, I feel like I'm taking a chance with personality and temperament.
To the best of my knowledge isn't getting a known personality and temperament kind of the point of a breeder dog? There's a standard for breed temperament right? As long as you're going to a reputable breeder I think you'd be ok. If you're really worried I would ask to meet their dogs and puppies from prior litters.

Locke

You're all right. My family is stupid.
How could anyone not want one of these

the naked ones are equally cute

photos from http://www.bodeswelldogs.com/

What makes me so mad is that all they could say was how ugly Cresteds are...but they've never met one before. The one I met was hilarious, so outgoing and really athletic. They're active, but not hyper active, they're on the small side, low/no shedding, dog/people friendly, snuggly, and smart. I love that their coat is less maintenance than a poodle, but you can still do fun things with it. I think the only negative to the breed is that they supposedly have a "scream" and can be clingy...but both of those traits can be trained out.

I want one and I'm going to get one and that's that.

Last edited:

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Since it's your dog and you'll be the one living with it day in, day out, go with what you want.

I'm actually surprised I was met with only a little wariness about getting a border collie, I was expecting a whole lot more resistance to the idea, and I still live at home so I want my family to like my dog-but my Mum's a sucker for them and my family knows how nuts I am about dogs and the breed pretty much fits me perfectly, so it went over fine.

milos_mommy

your family can build themselves a bridge and get over it.

Although in my experience, a crestie coat, powderpuff OR naked skin, is wayyy higher maintenance than a poodle's!

monkeys23

I was a little worried the first time I took Lily home, knowing my mom isn't huge on GSD's. It went thusly: "Oh you are so cuuute! Have some turkey!" Lol, and that is how Lily learned to beg. :rolleyes:

With Scout it went from "When are you finding that dog a home?!" to "You can't give her to someone, she'll die without you." That I think may have been a more dramatic shift because of how screwy Scout was when I first brought her home and she's very obviously mostly GSD, lol.

I don't really give much of a flying sh!t about my family anymore after what's happened (you can follow through with that on my other posts if you're that curious) and much less about what they think; But they were pretty indifferent about my choice. When my mom heard "guard dog" she was a little apprehensive but after Kat came home...lol.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I think the only negative to the breed is that they supposedly have a "scream" and can be clingy...but both of those traits can be trained out.

I want one and I'm going to get one and that's that.
Screaming.. You either get a screamer or you don't. They don't all do it. Arson does though. Not often now, but some.

Clingy. If you don't want clingy you need another breed. You can't train that out.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yeah I've been told that Nextdog should be really be my last dog. 3 is just SO MANY.

Which is fine, because I am planning on only having 2-3 dogs for my entire life but sheesh.... it's my choice.

My family all likes my breed choices for Nextdog so that's good. My family however, does not all like Mia. It's kind of sad, she's such a good dog. They just can't get over how loud she is, I guess. It's all I hear about.

That and my step-family all make jabs at little dogs constantly. They're lab people and don't get the papillons or my fondness for papillons.

Red.Apricot

It's funny--I have a skittery, weird, bonkers dog, but no one in my family has ever said anything negative about her to my face.

My boyfriend's cousin said she 'must be stupid, huh?' because she barked at her. That wasn't about her breed, though. owel.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
If you want a Crestie, get one! You're never going to please everyone!

As much of a screwhead as Frodo is, I've never had my family speak bad of him. Even Ryan's family doesn't say mean things about him (at least that I've ever heard, lol), and they've never had dogs let alone one like Frodo!

Even with the rats my mom was like "Why do you want rats?" and then was like "Okay, well I want pictures!" :lol-sign:

Locke

Screaming.. You either get a screamer or you don't. They don't all do it. Arson does though. Not often now, but some.

Clingy. If you don't want clingy you need another breed. You can't train that out.
Clingy wasn't the right word...I expect to be followed everywhere and essentially attached to the hip when I'm home. I guess I meant anxious. I want a dog that can be okay without me or with others when need be.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
My boyfriend's cousin said she 'must be stupid, huh?' because she barked at her. That wasn't about her breed, though. owel.
Yeah I've been told Mia's stupid because she's loud too. Apparently the deciding factor in dog intelligence is how much they bark. Yup.

Members online

No members online now.