Small dog breeds

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
So as much as I hate it I dont think bringing a huge or large dog into my home would be a good idea right now, with all the traveling we do ect ect..

So I am looking into smaller to medium-ish sized dogs for the future hopefully if Tyler allows me to have a third dog..Im working on that lol

now what I am looking for?
-outgoing, spunky, sassy, smart and tons of humour
-friendly, but some what aloof with strangers.
-peferably breeds with no sound sensativity.
-able to keep up with hiking and out door adventures.
-active, but able to settle in the house.
-biddable, but still challenge
-drive, prey drive, toy drive.
-I would pefer lower shedding, but I guess I would deal with it for the right breed.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I have a patterdale mix at my work right now which I love. Also rat terriers, the standard sizes, are amazing dogs.

Why not another westie?

JacksonsMom

I was going to suggest another Westie...

Border Terrier? Silky Terrier? Many small terriers would fit that.

But for a non-terrier, a Papillon would probably fit too (though not too sure on their prey drive).

Oceana

check out petfinder.com lots of little dogs there and you can check to see whos closets to you but its up to you if u want a rescue dog.To me it seems easier cause usually they have the pet fixed and all there shots and other stuff.

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
Cali fits all that criteria to a tee.. minus the "somewhat aloof to strangers part". If she sees anybody and they come approach her, she'll roll right over and wiggle on the ground and just soak about the loving. I don't think she's met anyone, two legged or four legged, that she hasn't liked.

As for prey drive, she has a lot of it. She saw a squirrel about two months ago in someone's yard, and she still gets excited when she walks by and tries running to the tree. She also thoroughly enjoys chasing anything moving and once followed an ant through grass for a good ten minutes.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Do you want to stick with terriers, or do you want to branch out? It sounds to me like a terrier would fit your specifications best!

I also think another Westie or a Silky sound like they'd work well for you!

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
I honestly would say Finnish Spitz, but I'm not sure how you feel about barking.... They can be trained not to be obnoxious with it, obviously, but they are good alert dogs. They only really shed when they blow coat (twice a year) and you should have no real issues if you brush them every other or every third day between those times.

But they can be a bit challenging to train, and off leash is just not a good plan.

crazedACD

Border Terriers are love! Rat Terriers too...mostly all the ratties I meet are awesome. My Toy Fox can go all day too but man she can be loud and is a bit suspicious of people (I've met other TFT the same way). I wouldn't call her aloof..she stands 3 feet back barking at people ;).

Members online

No members online now.