Asexual Reproduction?

jake03

Do you think Asexual reproduction is a good idea? or do you think the consequences outway the benefits? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts and ideas!

doberkim

Naturally Natural
errr - i dont think we have much of a choice right now :)

the species that do it, do it - the ones that cant (most), do not.

MonaD

What an interesting question. What it has to do with dogs, I have no idea. However...my two bits.
Asexual reproduction does not allow for the free recombination of genetic material, (it is purely reproducing the existing genetic information) and therefore can result in decreased diversity in any population of a species. Works for some species VERY well, but most species visible to the naked eye go in for sexual reproduction. And it also gets my vote!
;)
But perhaps you meant cloning? Which just freaks me out.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Dogs cannot asexually reproduce, and the species that can, like doberkim said, just... can. I don't see how one can have an opinion for or against it - it's nature. I do agree with Mona that it can result in a decrease in diversity, which can lead to all sorts of odd things.. Whether or not that's a bad thing, I really don't know. Perhaps it's just evolution at work?

Or, maybe I totally misunderstood. Are you talking about cloning, or AI?

bubbatd

I read about it after your post... but didn't understand how it could be dog related.......I too would like a clarification. I've done artificial semination once...A friend of mine save sperm from her Champion Mastiff... but this I have no clue !

Members online

No members online now.