Any Tips for a First Time Grooming Competitor??

RIgroomah

So, this November I will be competing in my first grooming competition at the NEPGP conference! I'll be taking a customer of mine's Standard Poodle and competing in the entry level poodle class. I've never done this before so I was just hoping to get some tips or advice on what to expect once I'm in the ring. Anything would be loads of help! Thank you! :]

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Make sure your gear is sharpened within a week of competition but not right before you cut (no surprises) - have a plan with a blade length in mind for each section- CLEAN DOG... clean clean clean dog with NO matts or tangles- Work section to section starting with the stuff that takes the most time but needs to be perfect so Feet, Face, tail pom, body, topknot, blend.

~Tucker&Me~

No advice but... Goodluck! If you get a chance to take some pictures, we would love to see them :D

RIgroomah

Thank you very much for the tips. The one major problem I know I'm going to run in to is the poodle's topknot. She has an amazing, full, thick, wonderful coat.. except for on top of her head. For some reason her topknot is very thin and always has been. Anyone know a trick for getting it to stand up?

Flickr: RIgroomah's Photostream

^^^ That's a link to my flikr with a few pictures of dogs I've groomed. The ones titled "Coco" are of the dog I'm using for competition. Also, below her finished picture are the blades I use to do her cut. Any advice or criticism (I can handle it, trust me) are greatly appreciated! Thanks again! =]

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Check the rules to see what chemicals are allowed, some competitions care - some don't. Most poodle owners I know use hairspray but some shows frown upon it. Some groomers I know use styling gel like topknot gel or spray gel but some shows frown upon that.

I think my favorite product is spray gel.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Seems like you do a good job. Hard to tell without being there to really look at the dog.

Remember - as a handler I know this - watch your sisor work.

Members online

No members online now.