Puppy Training Questions

Hi,

I have a 10week of Alaskan Malamute and she's just gorgeous :D . I've had Mal's before but we got the dogs as adults so all this puppy stuff is new to me. She's already learnt to sit and I try to make sure I only pat her when she is sitting and she is learning to drop as well. We are enrolled in puppy school for mid Jan and obdience after that in Feb (everything has shut down over Christmas). If anyone can help me with the following in the mean time that would be wonderful :)

- She loves to bite and pull on my pants when I am with her in the backyard. All I have to do is stand still and before I know it she has grabbed my pants. I tell her NO in the firm voice and remove the pants from the mouth but she just grabs them again. This can go on for 10 - 15 min as, as I'm trying to get inside and away from her she continues to grab my pants and I have to stop, tell her NO and remove my pants from her mouth again. Trying to do anything in the yard takes 5 times as long as it should! As I say NO, I also clap my hands but it doesn't seem to have any effect on her and she just continues to bite and pull my pants. As mention,I can't immediately remove myself from the situation because it takes so long to reach safety!

Any tips on how to best manage this would be most appreciated.

Mel (& chloe who loves pull on pants!)

awe how cute. oh i mean... thats not a good thing. but yeah i think she may be trying to tell you something. haha or she just wants to play. i used to have the problem with my friend's golden retreiver pup. i now have 3 pants that are all torn up. they look terrible. and also i always wanted to get a malamute. they look adorable when pups and they look awesome with the eyes that give off a mean demanding stare.

S

Sunny

That sounds so cute to me. My puppy does the same thing and I dragg him all over the house LOL! I would love him to be like that forever. At or about five month of age they start to mature and to understand when you mean business. Just give him some time. He's just a baby :)

It might sound cute but it's definately not :mad: !! I was at home with her at lunch time today as I had to get a urine sample to take to the vets. While I was waiting for her to get down to business, I decided to use the frying pan as a sheild for my legs and it worked! She was not keen to get too close to the frying pan. I was then able to tell her 'leave' which had been suggested by a work collegue and reward her when she didn't try to ruin my pants. When I lifted up the frying pan she was walking around my legs but was much less inclined to try and grab my pants and when she looked like she was going to, I told her 'leave' again which seemed to work with more success than 'no' did this morning.

Hopefully we will start to get somewhere.

Mel

Oh, Mel, I can sympathize with you! I'm looking for pants made of a fabric that doesn't show dog slobber. My two girls ALWAYS come running and wipe their jowls on me right after they've had a drink! They also like to wait until Charley's settled down on the sofa taking a nap to get a nice cold drink of water then come over and nudge him in the face with those cold, set, slobbery snouts. I think that's pretty funny too, for that matter. ;)

I hope the frying pan works! My girls would just think I was offering them something to eat . . . :rolleyes:

I wouldn't know how to get her to stop (the frying pan sounds like it might be working) but congrats on your new baby!!! I used to 'have' a Malamute. It was our neighbors dog but it lived at our house. It only went home to eat. Ever since then I have LOVED the breed.

The pants is a slightly differnent issue, but I was watching a Golden Retreiver puppy for a freind and it always chewed its leash. Every time she started to I would tell her 'drop it' and take the leash out of her mouth. I would also stop moving (she wanted to play tug) and then when she let go of it we would run (which she loved to do.) I think you've tried doing that, but if the leave it command doesn't work, maybe you can get some Bitter Apple spray and spary it on your pants! lol That might work.

Members online