Victor has chiggers and not just a few

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I don't remember ever seening a dog affected like Victor is. He has probably a hundred bites if he has one. Poor guy! I gave him benedryl until i can find out if there is something better to do. http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1589&articleid=774 I hate chiggers!

I was looking for natural treatments and one was mentioned that included tea tree oil which i had already put on him. Good, i have some of that.
HE is having a difficult summer.

Last edited:

ACooper

When we are in Arkansas, chiggers are a common thing in the summer. We don't have them here...........at least not that I know of.

Anyway, when my niece or nephew have gotten them my sister's mother in law dabs clear nail polish on it. Seems to clear it up. I don't know how or why it works, but it did.

That is all the chigger information I have smkie, wish it was more.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
lol i would have to dip him in it, boy would he be purdy!. HE must have plopped himself down in a whole hatchery.

I have heard that by the time you feel the bite the chigger mite is long gone and fingernail polish doens't do anything. YEt the article i read on line said a dip a couple weeks apart..and something about how you can see the larvae in a cats ear. So that contridicts what i had been led to believe. This article also said something about a 50+ day cycle so that would be the "weeks" of itching.

bubbatd

Poor Vic !!!! He has such a thin coat , they must drive him nuts ! Give him a Grammy hug !

The clear nail polish is what they do here, too and it did seem to work the few times I was ever bitten.

I'd say the tea tree oil is a good bet though; probably much better than the nail polish. Poor wee Vic :(

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
The bites are almost solid on his feet and a few inches up his legs. Hard mean swellings, the ones in his groin and pits are more what i am accustom to although i think he is having a bit of reaction to them to because they are swollen almost dime size. i hate to think he got them in my yard, we have not had chiggers before but i can't think of anyplace he was laying down long enough to get that many bites. I have one and that is par for the course of summer, i will almost always have one or two until the season is over. BUt not more then a hundred. THis happened to a friend of mine a few years back. Somewhere in the dog park she stepped in the wrong place.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
HE's not as bad itch wise today as he was yesterday and the night before. looks awful tho.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Poor Viccy! I've been getting eaten alive by these stupid striped mosquitos and I'm not entirely sure that I don't have a few fleas hiding in the carpet in my office. It's a bad year for bugs. Stupid rain. :(

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
He's had a hard summer. First he lost that chunk of his side to something in Grammy's fence line. THen he cracked his toe. Now he looks like he has been attacked by bees all over his feet and body. I think he has resigned himself to the discomfort and isnt' trying to lick it away anymore. Today he is acting more like his old self which is good. I hope the tea tree oil is why.

We didnt' have heartworms here until that particular mosquito showed up. IT is just a theory of mine but i think the two are linked.

2BlackDogs

Awww Poor vic. I've never had chiggers so I don't have any advice. The benadryl spray sounds like it would help if he's itchy. Give him a hug from me too!!

Barb04

Super Moderator
Vic, I don't have any advice, but I do hope you feel better soon; I know your mommy will take good care of you.

Members online

No members online now.