Doctor Who 50th Special!!! (May contain spoilers, enter at your own risk ;) )

Saeleofu

FOUR DAYS. I'M DYING. HALP.

So, how/when do you plan to watch? Theories? Most importantly foodstuffs?

I'm making MOAR TARDIS cookies. I made a test batch this past weekend using 2 different recipes. One of them came out VERY nicely. The others I'm taking to the zoo because there are people there that will devour them simply because TARDIS. And I've eaten so many I'm pooping blue. Likely will have fish fingers and custard, too, since it's been a while and they're tasty. I was hoping to pre-order some Bad Wolf donuts, but alas, I'm broke, so that's a no-go. Maybe I get lucky and they make extra?

I'm going to attempt to watch online after work (Proxy FTW), but if that doesn't work (or if I just get bored later) there's a 10pm showing at the local Who club that I may go to. There's also one at 1:50 and one a 6pm, but for the first one I'm working and for the second one I'm planning on watching it at home at that point. And of course, I'll but it as soon as it's streaming on Amazon, because I'm pretty sure I'll watch it 4567323 times. And likely cry most of those times (come one, you know it's going to be one of those episodes...Rings of Akhaten and The Name of the Doctor made me cry, too).

Who's seen the prequel?
[YOUTUBE]-U3jrS-uhuo[/YOUTUBE]
PREQUEL SPOILERS (highlight):
Uh, yeah, I cried. It also made me giddy. I love 8, I wish I had more money to get more into his audios...because THEY'RE CANON NOW. Honestly, if this was the entirety of the 50th anniversary special, I'd probably be content. So at this point they can do whatever the hell they want in the special and I'll be thrilled. This was fantastic. I also wonder if this is how Moffat gets past the 12-regen limit, since he's said he considers the limit to be canon. Does the elixir restore ALL his regenerative capacities, in essence letting him start over?

I watched the TV movie for the 4th time last night and tonight, and I actually got my mom to watch it, too! Once you get past the Americanization, it's decent. I think I need to re-watch at least parts of the 7th series this week as a refresher. I had hoped to finish all the classics by now, but I got stalled at the end of Earthshock and had to take a break for a while :)( :( ) and then I got stalled at the start of Trial of a Timelord because my computer died and I no longer have an optical drive. So I got close, but not quite there. I have previously seen all of Trial of a Timelord, so if they DO decide to explore the Valeyard a little more, I'm prepared.

I'm hoping they bring in some classic Doctors via old footage like they did in The Name of the Doctor. And I'm hoping against hope they'll get Eccleston in for a regeneration sequence. Unlikely, but stranger things have happened!

Side note: My computer crashed in the middle of writing this monster post. I am SO glad I have Chrome OS, because when I restarted and restored my tabs 10 seconds later, everything I had written was still here, waiting for me to finish and hit the post button. Windows regularly ate my long posts, even without crashing.

Saeleofu

I think I'd cancel the cruise :rofl1:

Or better yet, a Who-themed cruise with a special showing. Now THAT would be fun.

Saeleofu

TOM BAKER IS GOING TO BE IN IT!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny how that's let slip when we're down to Tom Baker days left until the special ;)

I'm 99% sure this is true. I read an article saying as much probably a year ago, then silence. And now, Tom Baker himself has said he's in it and he had a blast doing it. Rumor has it there may be more classic Doctors to come.

If they have a Hurt --> Eccleston regeneration scene, I might just die of happy.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
I keep hearing clearly that Eccleston wasn't involved, so I dunno if that will be feasible. It's been hinted at for the rest of the doctors for awhile, especially McGann, so I was pleasantly unsurprised to see him in the prequel. :) (Love the Big Finish nod in the prequel, too. It's canon!)

I won't be watching it until Sunday morning. It's the BF's birthday party Saturday night so it's no biggie. I can avoid the internet until I watch it.

Saeleofu

Meh, I'd even be happy with a CGI regen scene ;) Or some old stock footage that never made it into an episode...or that did make it into an episode, for that matter. Toma Baker was grumpy and refused to do The 5 Doctors, but they pulled out unaired footage and made it happen anyway ;)

Saeleofu

The Google logo today.

:) :) :) :) :)
I don't see it? :(

I started watching An Adventure in Space and Time last night! I totally forgot it was coming out yesterday/today. I only saw the first 15 minutes because it was before bed, but so far it's good!

Baking TARDIS cookies and FEZ cupcakes today! And oh crap, I need to go order donuts.

ETA: Nevermind, the donuts are sold out :( Which is sort of awesome, because that means they have so many orders they're making nothing but Doctor Who donuts all night, but still, I wanted some :(

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
SPOILERS. :) Since this is one of the only places I feel comfortable being spoilery.

Wow. Wooooow. Everything was wow.

You have to understand that I'm a bit of a hipster where Doctor Who was concerned - I started watching it with my da at the tender age of seven and have loved it ever since. I was watching classic episodes on PBS in junior and high school, before the new series was even a twinkle. Doctor Who has always been a thread of my life.

The nods to episode one 1963, Coal Hill School, the Brigadier, and of course my favourite doctor through the scarf and the Curator at the end. The scene with the TARDISes encapsulating Gallifrey brought a tear to my eye, because it made me realize that Capaldi is now the thirteenth doctor.

The last doctor. :yikes:

My only, single, solitary gripe: WHY OH WHY did they make the scarf reversible stockinette stitch? Jesus.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
My question: is there anywhere online to watch it now that it is over? I missed it due to work. :(

Saeleofu

My question: is there anywhere online to watch it now that it is over? I missed it due to work. :(
If you have Chrome, get the extension Media Hints, then watch it on the BBC iPlayer. Works like a charm! You can also watch An Adventure in Space and Time and The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot there.

You can also watch it on Amazon Instant video, but it's EIGHT ****ING DOLLARS. WTF, usually they're $2-3 per episode, even the Christmas specials :(

Saeleofu

Oh my god. All the feels. :) :(
Uh, yeah, this! I laughed. I cried. Basically, it was everything I wanted and more.

I LOVED the banter between the three Doctors. LOVED. IT. I cried when they were getting ready to push the big red button. And I cried when Tom Baker appeared - partially because I was so happy he was there, and partially because he looks so, so old and weary and I really don't want him to go :( And I love love love Kate, still.

I adored every little nod to the past. I think I got most of them, fortunately. since I was ALMOST finished with the classics. The opening with the old black and white stuff was AWESOME. And...well, all of it.

Capaldi was fantastic and he was only there for a couple seconds. And Hurt's regeneration - from old age? - was nice, even though Eccleston wasn't there (seriously, though, CGI anyone? Just slap his face in there and call it good...).

Anyone watch the Fish Doctor (Five(ish) Doctors Reboot)? Oh god it was hilarious. If you haven't seen it, WATCH IT NAO. It's only half an hour.

Saeleofu

Oh god, if you haven't watched An Adventure in Space and Time yet, you must do so! It's not on the iplayer anymore, but it's $3 on Amazon and I'm sure it's up for free somewhere. I cried so hard at the end :( "I don't want to go" is sure to make you cry even harder after this.

Members online

No members online now.