Crate training question - sort of urgent

corgi_love

I've never crate trained a dog before, so I have a question. I have two books on how it's done, but it's never clear on what to do the first few nights.

So when I bring home a puppy:)D) and am slowly introducing her to a crate, what do I do during her first nights? Do I put her in the crate during the night? Or should I place her in a room or fenced area inside?

Thanks in advance.

R

RedyreRottweilers

If I get a puppy who is not crate trained, I put the crate by my bed for sleeping. I put the puppy in the crate. I will dangle my fingers for the puppy to sniff for comfort.

I correct ANY verbalizations with crate thumping to startle the puppy out of the crying, and then a quick cookie to reward the quiet. As the quiet puppy is eating the cookie, I also say "quiet".

Most puppies I have experience with are quiet quickly through the night. After the pup has been quiet for several nights by the bed, I usually move the crate into my spare bedroom.

Good luck!

Sch3Dana

Workin' Dog
I find that it is easiest to sleep in the bed with little puppies a few nights until they are quiet in their crates during the day. Once you put them in the crate, you don't want to let them out for crying, so expecting them to sleep in the crate all night on the first day is usually a lot to expect. Check with your breeder though- they may already have crate trained the pup :) And, like Redyre, once I start having them sleep in the crate, I put the crate right by my bed, or even on the bed next to my head. That really helps to keep the puppies secure and sleeping.

If you put them in bed with you, you'll more likely get to sleep, but you need them tied to you on a short leash otherwise they'll often get up in the night and pee in your bed :yikes: Also, make sure you're not the sort of heavy sleeper who might roll over on the pup and squish them :( I do not recommend this for a long term plan- too many problems with puppies getting into mischief and expecting to be in the bed every night. But it's a life saver when you just want some sleep that first night.

Good Luck!

corgi_love

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. I don't think being on the bed will be an option at this point.

She's 9 weeks old, and not crate trained. So is forcing her in the crate her first night really a good idea? If not, and being in our bed not an option, should I put her in the other room or in a fenced area for the first couple of nights while she's still getting used to the crate?

R

RedyreRottweilers

It is a 9 weeks old baby puppy.

If you put it in the crate at bedtime, with blankies, etc, it will go to sleep pretty fast.

I do not, have not, and never will crate train any other way except putting the dog in the crate, especially with puppies.

I have trained SO many dogs this way, and they all love their crates.

In the daytime, I always toss treats or toys to get the pup to go in the crate, and then close the door. I ignore anything that happens after that until it's time for the pup to come out again.

:D

Good luck!

(I also find it's helpful to have several wire crates throughout the house so the puppy can observe what is going on in the household and keep someone in view, especially during the first several weeks)

corgi_love

Thanks RR! I have been so nervous about crate training- I hope I do this right :D

R

RedyreRottweilers

Also, here is another thing I do with all my little puppies that will be the age of yours:

I use a BIG crate, esp. at night. I put bedding in one end, and papers in the other. My puppies will eliminate in the crate at night until about 14-16 weeks. About that time I take out the papers, and they are old enough to make a fuss to go out if they need to, or wake me up in the morning when it's time for them to go.

I have raised 5 puppies this way, and none of them are crate soilers, nor were any of them hard to housetrain. For me, it cuts down on so much stress, and I think it does for the puppy too.

Just more of my 2 cents worth. :D

corgi_love

Also, here is another thing I do with all my little puppies that will be the age of yours:

I use a BIG crate, esp. at night. I put bedding in one end, and papers in the other. My puppies will eliminate in the crate at night until about 14-16 weeks. About that time I take out the papers, and they are old enough to make a fuss to go out if they need to, or wake me up in the morning when it's time for them to go.

I have raised 5 puppies this way, and none of them are crate soilers, nor were any of them hard to housetrain. For me, it cuts down on so much stress, and I think it does for the puppy too.

Just more of my 2 cents worth. :D
That also is a big relief.. I think I will do that. I forgot to buy a little divider for my crate anyway, so I guess it's all for good reason! Thanks for the tips!

Lucid

Hi,

I just recently house trained my puppy by using a crate after having him out the crate for one night (the first night we got him before we got the crate) and I have to say its a very very useful, its helped training him so much.

He is still learning to only bark when he needs the bathroom and not just when he wants out to play but for the past nearly 3 weeks he isnt having many accidents, only maybe a little pee pee if we are out at work and thats it, he is now roughly 16 weeks old and lasts 7-8 hours a night which is amazing, and will quite happily try play when he is let out in the morning before he toddles off for a number one or a number 2.

I do sometimes feel bad and feel bad when he crys while he is in his crate but its just something he needs to learn when we want him in there and he's been fed and let out to the bathroom he has to be in there until we get him back out.

We trained him the same as RedyreRottweilers has with giving treats to get him in there as he is very treat motivated but it works a treat.

You will do great with your new puppy and crate training is to me one of the best ways to train your puppy, not everyone agrees but its really helped my little guy.

adojrts

If possible ask the breeder to start crate training before the pup comes to you. I personally don't know why some breeders don't do this, so much more less stressful to the pup if they did. When I have a litter, by the time they are 8 wks of age, they are in their own crate, no crying, no fuss and very happy owners when they take them home, not to mention non stressed pups at night time.
I do a couple of different methods when I get a pup from another breeder, one is I crate the pup facing another dogs crate (yep means that one of my guys has to stay in a crate a night for a bit) this helps comfort the pup. But the other dog really needs to be good with pups and quiet in a crate themselves etc.
I also have the pups beside my bed, so that I can speak to them or put my fingers in.
I also set my alarm and get up a couple of times during the night (or when the pup needs to go out) and take them out to potty. I don't respond to crying with a negative or positive, but when they have stopped, speak to them then or put my fingers in.
Buy earplugs..............

Ilyena

adojrts, in some countries crates aren't as widely used. Where I live crates are fairly uncommon, I have found that probably 99% of dog owners that I've talked to do not crate-train their dogs unless they were going to be really active in dog shows. That could very well be a reason why at least breeders in my country do not crate train puppies.

The first night I had my pup I put the crate besides my bed so he could see me and I could put my fingers in the crate if needed. Took him out twice that night, and once a night for the following month, and hardly ever heard a sound from him. Just the initial crying but it lasted for a few mins before he fell asleep. Later I moved the crate to the other end of my bedroom. All I did to get him used to the crate was I fed his meals in it at first and every time he fell asleep elsewhere I moved him into his crate and let him sleep there. It seemed to work as he learned fairly quickly that his crate is where he is supposed to sleep.

corgi_love

Thanks for the advice :) I'll ask the breeder if she has an extra crate to use for now.

adojrts, in some countries crates aren't as widely used. Where I live crates are fairly uncommon, I have found that probably 99% of dog owners that I've talked to do not crate-train their dogs unless they were going to be really active in dog shows. That could very well be a reason why at least breeders in my country do not crate train puppies.
Crates are actually quite common here, I just chose not to crate train Regis so I really don't have experience with it.

Gypsydals

I would ask the breeder if she could start the puppy. Ivans breeder will stick a crate in the puppy pen for all of the puppies with the door open. And then for short periods of time during the day she will close it. By the time the pups are ready for their new homes they are pretty much crate trained.

msbsgblue

I just got a tiny silver teacup toy poodle at 11 weeks, she is a whopping 1 1/4 pounds. She had never been in a crate or away from her litter mates.

I put the crate on my night stand the first night next to my bed and layed down facing her so she could hear me breathing. She went right to sleep and slept about 6 hours.

adojrts

QUOTE]

I know that crating isn't common in Europe or the U.K, but here in N.A it is.
I personally crate train puppies for many reasons, one of them being that we do compete with our dogs alot.

R

RedyreRottweilers

My puppies all knew about crates before they went home. I crated the 3 boyz I kept together for a few weeks, and then separated them out into their own, and never had any issue.

I just assume most breeders introduce their puppies to crates before they leave, maybe they don't?

corgi_love

I went ahead and emailed her about the crate thing, I haven't gotten a responce yet. I guess not every breeder does it, but boy it would be a good thing if they all did..

RR, or anyone who has advice, what do you put on the bottom of the crate for easy cleaning? I have a big plastic crate. Thanks!

R

RedyreRottweilers

well, I prefer the wire ones, but I put many layers of newspaper down. Then bedding in the back of the crate, and shred paper to go in the front.

Newspaper is easy to shred, it tears nicely in strips from top to bottom. In just a couple minutes you can shred enough to go in the front part.

corgi_love

well, I prefer the wire ones, but I put many layers of newspaper down. Then bedding in the back of the crate, and shred paper to go in the front.

Newspaper is easy to shred, it tears nicely in strips from top to bottom. In just a couple minutes you can shred enough to go in the front part.

Alright thanks! I know I need to get a wire one, but I already bought this plastic one, so I'm going to use it and then get rid of it and replace it later on.

Members online