Just got back from the vet

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
So Emma, being a sent hound has not a very reliable recall. At my parents farm we have a 4 foot fence around part of the property so I can let Emma off leash around the house and not worry about her fallowing a sent across the road. My parents hae a bunchof wild farm wats out there as well. Emma loves cats. We have two and she thinks its a great game o "fight" with them. They hate her but have never seriously hurt her. Just a scratch or two. Well she was being good, so I had her off leash in the yard. She seen a cat. :rolleyes: Needless to say I didnt even have a chance to think "NO" let alone say it and she was gone.

Now I must say, Emma is Feild Bred so she is faster and more athletic than the show beagles (I help show beagles for a friend). Emma and I are doing aglity and I know she is bloody fast and can jump 3 feet from a sit, and is only one year old.

Well she's off and running and so is the cat, straight for the fence. I didnt say anything because the fence is there and she cant jump it. Its a solid wood fence so she's not going to go though it either.

What does the bloody dog do? She JUMPS the ****** thing!!!!!!! :eek: Had te fence been 3'6" she would have cleared it. At 4 FEET she had to scramble the last 6 inches, but she when right over after the cat. Dumb Dog

So I go running out the gate after her, and they are long gone. I cant see her anywere. So I get on my cell and call the house (yes it wa sonly 50feet away but I was worried). I tell everyone to come out and look for her, because there are Cyotes and barbed wire, badgers and god knows what else. She would go right up to a cyote or badger and try to play!. So we're looking and I see this HUGE black/white tom cat come racing around the corner of the barn. He sees me and does a 180 back to were he came from, but Emma is right behind him. She jumps on him, and all I here is growling and hissing and then yelping. Please keep in mind she LOVES cats and thought they were playing.

Needless to say the cat when one way and she didnt go after it. She just stood there. I go running up to here, after screeming "Emma" in a really scared voice. Naturally al lmy family comes running. They arent dog people but LOVE her to death. I whent up to her and saw she was bleeding from various places, so I took my coat off and warped her in it and ran for the car.

So I get to the vet and he looks at her. She has one cut on her rib cage that whent to the bone. My coats ruined because it's covered in blood (doesnt really matter). She came out with 18 stitches. :( Poor muffin. She will make a full recovery, nothing was life thretening, but she whont go near the cats at home here now :p Maybe she learned a lesson. Douptfull, but a person can hope.

What I find estonishing, was my little 15.5inch beagle scaled a 4' wall. She would have cleared it had it been a mear 6 inches lower I swear my jaw droped when she cleared it

minismom

We used to have a beagle that would clear a 5 and 1/2 ft fence, everytime I let her out. I caught her many a time teetering on the top and she'd look at me like darn busted again!!

I'm glad your baby is alright though.

Members online

No members online now.