Breed suggestions?

Toller_08

My mom's friend is looking for a dog, and while she has some dog experience, she doesn't have a whole lot. She really likes the look of a Shiba but I think a Shiba might be too independent for her and I also find them quite snarky with other dogs (is this normal?).

She's just looking for a pet and has mostly had mutts prior, but I think wants a purebred this time. Her main requirements are:

- Medium size with a short or smooth coat (no trimming required and minimal brushing)

- Easygoing, mid range energy level. Not high energy but more than a couch potato.

- Friendly and easy going with everyone/everything.

- Generally good off leash

My first thought was a lower energy Lab, but not sure if that might still be too big. And I don't really know where one would go for an easy(ish), more laid back, nice Lab. Show lines? The other thing is that she does not have a lot of money. Enough to be able to care for a dog for it's lifetime, but not necessarily does she have $800+ to shell out right away for a puppy. So I'm not even sure finding a well bred dog will work or if adopting an adult would be better. I'll have to ask. But just in case, does anyone know of a nice Lab breeder in British Columbia (Canada)? She lives in Kelowna BC.

I have a feeling she might not be interested in a Lab just due to looks and popularity, so any other suggestions would be great. But I do think a nice Lab would be a good dog for her if they're not too big for what she's looking for.

Last edited:

CaliTerp07

What about a hound of some kind? They come in all different sizes with short coats and mid level energy. They're also all over rescue (here, at least)

Toller_08

A hound would be good in most of those ways, but I forgot that she would like something reliable off leash. I would worry about that with a hound. But you're right, the rest of the stuff would fit.

Barbara!

A hound would be good in most of those ways, but I forgot that she would like something reliable off leash. I would worry about that with a hound. But you're right, the rest of the stuff would fit.
Yeah, since hounds like to wander off...

Toller_08

Yeah, since hounds like to wander off...
I'm not really sure how to take that?

Hounds aren't generally known for off leash reliability. I had a Dachshund that was great off leash, but if she saw a bunny or a gopher, that was a hundred times more important than us. Often she could be called off, but not always.

And most of the hounds I see out and about are nose to the ground and hardly twitch an ear if they smell something more interesting when their owner calls.

I'm not saying that a hound is just going to run away any chance it gets, but certain types of dogs are known to be more off leash reliable than others. I would like to set this friend up for success, especially not having had very much dog experience.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Minus the off leash thing.. I would say a beagle would work :) they are friendly, active/but crazily so, sweet dogs.

All the shibas I've met, lovely as they are, are quite independent and intolerant of other dogs (not great dog park candidates)

She might be able to find an older, smaller Lab in a rescue/shelter. If it's a middle-aged dog, it might be a little lower on energy requirements. If it's been fostered, you might have a better idea of how it does with people, kids, other pets, and being off-leash.

I would suggest to go through local rescues and shelters and just find something that fits her requirements.

Barbara!

I'm not really sure how to take that?

Hounds aren't generally known for off leash reliability. I had a Dachshund that was great off leash, but if she saw a bunny or a gopher, that was a hundred times more important than us. Often she could be called off, but not always.

And most of the hounds I see out and about are nose to the ground and hardly twitch an ear if they smell something more interesting when their owner calls.

I'm not saying that a hound is just going to run away any chance it gets, but certain types of dogs are known to be more off leash reliable than others. I would like to set this friend up for success, especially not having had very much dog experience.
Huh? That wasn't an attack or me being sarcastic. I was agreeing with you. Down, Bessie. Lol.

Kilter

I'd say a whippet, they're nice dogs. Is the 'no brushing/trimming' because of shedding? If so a lab is not a good plan.

German Pinscher maybe? I know a breeder for those as well as whippets (I think they still breed whippets....).

Toller_08

Thanks guys! I will think on these some more and pass them along.

Is the 'no brushing/trimming' because of shedding? If so a lab is not a good plan.
No, she's fine with shedding. Just doesn't want any matting or grinch toes or anything going on and doesn't want to have a dog professionally groomed/tidied regularly.

Huh? That wasn't an attack or me being sarcastic. I was agreeing with you. Down, Bessie. Lol.
No worries, I just wasn't sure. It could have been taken either way. Sorry.

Members online

No members online now.