Pick me a breed

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Everyone else has done one, so I want to :p

Criteria:

I don't like long hair, heavy shedding or lots of maintenance. Wash and Go is a must. BUT must be warm and waterproof within reason - swimming in the river is a regular activity here. Other half hates wirehaired breeds (I don't so much, but meh).

Medium to large, but not giant.

Reasonably intelligent. Doesn't need to be a mastermind, but don't want a walking log either.

Lots of personality. I like fun dogs which join in with the games.

Doesn't need to be a good guard dog, but a loud bark might help :D

Likes long walks, playing ball, fetch, and possibility of other dog sports for fun. But has an off switch when we come home.

Snuggler :D I love my puppy cuddles, I'd hate an aloof totally independent dog. Need a smidge of velcro in there.

Nice to look at. I like a well proportioned dog that looks capable of doing something, and it's not a must, but interesting markings always catch my attention :D

Available in the UK!!!!

Think that's it. We're looking at GSP's which seem to fit all the above and is the breed we'll probably go with. I wanted a rescue, but think that will be the next dog now :)

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
I think GSP sounds wonderful!
They are BEAUTIFUL dogs, oh gah.

I can totally agree about your markings statement, I like dogs to catch my eye as well. And I like looots of color on my dogs to. Which is why when I am looking for a dog, they must have white/brown or white/black or tri colored. The splashier the better lol

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I hear staffies are in high need at shelters there. I bet you can find any color/markings set you want.
They are indeed, but I don't think they have the hiking ability that I want, and they're a bit small.

Plus, the other half doesn't want to rescue :(

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
How about an airdale Terrier? really, who cares if your SO does not like the coat ha ha.

But they would make an awesome hiking dog.

Oh, Oh what about a RR. They were a breed I was looking into for a hiking partner for Tyler.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I do like the koolie look......not sure I could convince the other half though... He's a lab boy through and through, yawn lol

Good ideas though :D

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
I do like the koolie look......not sure I could convince the other half though... He's a lab boy through and through, yawn lol
I don't blame you with the Yawn ha ha. Tyler suggested a lab and I told him over my dead body. They are great for some people, just not for me. I probably would end up killing it ha ha. J/K of course.

I'm a little biased as I have been around the breed my whole life, but I would say a German Rottweiler meets and exceeds your criteria :)

They are one of the smartest breeds and real easy to train
Real adorable as puppies and full grown
Lotsa personality and so eager to please
Obviously great guard dogs with a hefty bark
And they are awesome snugglers and big lap dogs :)

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I'm a little biased as I have been around the breed my whole life, but I would say a German Rottweiler meets and exceeds your criteria :)

They are one of the smartest breeds and real easy to train
Real adorable as puppies and full grown
Lotsa personality and so eager to please
Obviously great guard dogs with a hefty bark
And they are awesome snugglers and big lap dogs :)
I like rotties, but I already know without even asking what the other half would feel about one... Not him.

I love the bully breeds, I love boxers too, but he really doesn't! I'd have a pit but they're a banned breed here.

Members online

No members online now.