What flea/tick meds do you use?

Maxy24

It's just about that time of year here and I have to start thinking about fleas, ticks, and heartworms. I have been reluctant to give Tucker flea and tick stuff because he had an adverse reaction to flea stuff we gave him a couple of summers ago when he got fleas. It wasn't terrible or anything, but he went off his food for three days and became lethargic. Other than that he's never gotten the preventative. But tick diseases terrify me. So I think I might give him something this summer. I also worry about giving him something that could hurt the cats.

So, what preventatives do you use on your dogs or have you used in the past? How well did/do they work? Has your dog ever had an adverse reaction to it?

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
I use a flea and tick spray from Adams. It says to apply every 9 days or so, but I normally just spray it on before we go on a hike where I think there is a good chance of ticks.

I like it so far, though I haven't used it since being back in MI where the real tick threat is.

JacksonsMom

We use K9 Advantix, but unfortunately, you're not supposed to use it around cats, I don't think. It's the only thing that works for us though. We do not use it every month though.

We do use heartworm meds every month. Heartguard Plus is what we use now and he loves it, and we've had good luck with it.

Last edited:

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Fiproguard here (generic Frontline.) It still works in this area so far, so we're using it. Advantix seems to work fine here too for now, but I haven't used that in years - I used it because that's what our vet had, then when I switched vets they carried Frontline so I switched to that instead.

I'm also giving the dogs Trifexis for heartworm, which has Comfortis in it. But that is only because Interceptor isn't available, and as soon as Interceptor becomes available again we will be switching back to it. I really don't like giving them the Trifexis AND using the topical. Last year I was able to get ahold of just enough Interceptor to get us through the summer, and by the time I was out of Interceptor it had frozen and I didn't need the topical anymore... no such luck this year. =<

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I am currently giving them Heartguard, although I've used Trifexis (and Interceptor) in the past. Don't have an issue with any of the products.

I only apply topical flea/tick prevention if I have to. (Aka, if I find fleas/ticks on them.) I currently have Parastar and Frontline. Again, no issues with either products.

If you are purchasing from a vet, do NOT buy Vetcra 3D if you want something cat safe. It does nasty things to kitties!

JacksonsMom

Fiproguard here (generic Frontline.) It still works in this area so far, so we're using it. Advantix seems to work fine here too for now, but I haven't used that in years - I used it because that's what our vet had, then when I switched vets they carried Frontline so I switched to that instead.

I'm also giving the dogs Trifexis for heartworm, which has Comfortis in it. But that is only because Interceptor isn't available, and as soon as Interceptor becomes available again we will be switching back to it. I really don't like giving them the Trifexis AND using the topical. Last year I was able to get ahold of just enough Interceptor to get us through
the summer, and by the time I was out of Interceptor it had frozen and I didn't need the topical anymore... no such luck this year. =<
I heard Interceptor is now being discontinued. :(

http://www.thevet.net/2013/04/04/216/
Therefore, we have discontinued production of Interceptor® (milbemycin oxime) Flavor Tabs® for the U.S. market.
Sentinel is apparently back now.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
k9 advantix. I do half a dose, every month during the hot months.

Frontline plus/frontline is like water to the fleas/ticks in florida and here apparently.

DJEtzel

I've been using bug off garlic and liquid ivermectin for the last 3 years with no trouble yet. Haven't found a flea or tick on any of my dogs thank god.

Hopefully this is true for Recon this year as well! :D

GraceTW22

Trifexis or Comfortis is the only treatment I have found to be reliable for preventing the fleas in my area. Frontline is like water, K9 Advantix seems to help with the ticks a little but not fleas, but the pills really keep them off! Big fan, personally, even though it's expensive for a big dane. Sure beats waking up to those awful awful bites!

Saeleofu

I prefer Trifexis, but I get Heartgard and Frontline for free so I use those. Heartgard monthly year-round, Frontline every 3 months (I only use it once a month if I'm really concerned about ticks...it kills fleas for 3 months, ticks for 1 month).

I have several doses of Certifect sitting around, but I haven't had the courage to use it yet, and my vet said DO NOT use it on Logan until he's done showing due to the side effects...so I probably won't use it on either dog ever (if anyone wants some, though, I'll send it to you free...pm me, it's 45-88 lb size).

I have used Advantix and was happy with it, but I live with cats now and don't want to risk it.

When I join IAADP with Logan I'll get free Advantage, Advantix, or Advantage Multi for him. I haven't decided which one I'll do yet.

Saeleofu

I heard Interceptor is now being discontinued. :(

http://www.thevet.net/2013/04/04/216/

Sentinel is apparently back now.
Yeah, we stopped carrying Interceptor when they quit making it, and since it took FOREVER to hear anything, we decided to drop it for good and replace it with Heartgard and Trifexis. Last time we talked to our rep they still weren't making it, so we gave up on them all together.

If you're concerned about using Heartgard because of MDR1, it's not a high enough dose to do anything, but it would probably be cheaper to test everyone for MDR1 than to buy Frontline AND Trifexis. If it's the internal parasite control difference you're after, fecals and/or periodic deworming are cheaper, too. I really don't see Interceptor coming back any time soon, if ever. Or you could try a Preventic collar or something for tick control.

I live in the far north of -40 winters, that last 6 months...it's snowing right now, I haven't seen grass since mid October, basically I will happily deal with it though, we don't have fleas, ticks or heartworm. I have revolution on Diesel right now but only because we are in agility classes and dog live has been a problem, and if we are planning on going further south then Edmonton in the summer they all get revolution, otherwise we use nothing.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
I live in the far north of -40 winters, that last 6 months...it's snowing right now, I haven't seen grass since mid October, basically I will happily deal with it though, we don't have fleas, ticks or heartworm. I have revolution on Diesel right now but only because we are in agility classes and dog live has been a problem, and if we are planning on going further south then Edmonton in the summer they all get revolution, otherwise we use nothing.
Heartworm isn't a problem down here an there's rarely been a case of lymes in all of Alberta and only in humans. I've never had a dog with fleas ever and also never used anything. We may have a mild climate but its still one that is pretty hostile to fleas, ticks and heartworm.

elegy

overdogged
Frontline Plus or Certifect. I only treat the Border Collies, though, because they're the ones out in tick-infested areas and ticks are my primary concern.

Members online

No members online now.