Tsuki Road to Being Seizure Free

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Tsuki started having seizures last week, so far five to date (April 1st, 4th, 6th, 9th, 11th). It wasn't until the second one that I figured that the episode she had on the 4th was one as well. Called the vet on the 5th, and they said to keep an eye on her, it could be a freak occurrence. After her third one, I called the vet on Monday and scheduled her for Thursday, which was then canceled, and rescheduled to this afternoon.

To my knowledge she hasn't gotten into anything, only possibility would have been something that the snow uncovered but chances of anything out there are slim, and none of the other dogs are sick either. All her seizures except for yesterdays have been the same, long drawn out behaviors prior and after of shaking and being disorientated. Yesterday's was quick, one moment she's curled up with Stryder and his crate and then full on falls over and full body stiffness. So at this point they're happening closer together and the whole process is a lot faster.

From what I've Googled, and help from friends (thanks Moth!) it sounds like epilepsy. Her age and breed fit; being from a puppymill doesn't stack the cards in her favor either. Baring that nothing else is going on, we'll probably have to medicate.

Most of the time she's sleeping, or hiding. She's only been herself twice this past week and a half, tackling Lincoln and running around the yard. I miss my dog. :( Vet appointment is at 3:15.

Gypsydals

Sending vibes your way. I know what its like to have a epileptic dog and having to medicate them. ((HUGS))

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Baring anything showing up on the blood panel, vet agrees that it sounds like epilepsy. I showed her a video of one of her seizures and agreed they're seizures and not fainting spells that would be heart related, but her heart is just perfect as well.

She sent us home with phenobarb to get her started in case it is epilepsy, figure lets start now if it is, and if it's not we'll just switch her to whatever else it would be she needs. Also had them check for heart worms while they were drawing blood so I don't have to draw again this summer.

And then she also most likely has a tapeworm, but waiting on an okay to see if we can get meds for the other four since they haven't been seen yet this year. Because yes, what's another paycheck to donate to the vet. :mad:

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
*Hugs*

Glad to hear the vet is getting her started on some treatment while you guys wait for the blood results.

She will feel so much better once the seizures are under control...

I hear you about donating your money to the vet...we just did our HW tests and stuff. I can still hear my wallet weeping softly.

Saeleofu

And then she also most likely has a tapeworm, but waiting on an okay to see if we can get meds for the other four since they haven't been seen yet this year. Because yes, what's another paycheck to donate to the vet.
You can get tapeworm meds OTC. Probably cheaper that way, since you have 5 dogs to treat. Just make sure it's something with Praziquantel. It'll still be pricey, but not as bad as meds plus dispensing fees plus exams for 5 dogs. Although generally we only treat the dog with the tapeworm segments, since it's not transmitted directly like other worms. They usually come from eating a flea.

ANYWAY, I've had two dogs with seizures. The first one was 99% sure because of a brain tumor. We didn't medicate her because she deteriorated very quickly and died within a week of starting (it was pretty obvious it was something MAJOR, seizures were just one very small part of it). The other started having seizures as he got older, and we put him on phenobarb and for the most part they were well-controlled. As he got older and started having more mobility problems, we tried to taper off his phenobarb dose and then he had breakthrough seizures. It was a balancing act using enough to control them but not too much so he'd get wobbly and fall (he had a lot of spinal/neuro issues and later had some liver issues due to beingon Rimadyl for a long time). I've known many, MANY dogs at work that have never had another seizure after starting phenobarb.

Good luck, and vibes that it's as simple as a pill twice a day and the bloodwork looks fine! :)

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Tsuki is epileptic.

Blood work came back "really healthy"! I was hoping it'd be an easier fix, but it is what it is. Now to continue research about food and supplements for her. Blood work again in another month to check levels, and then every 6 months afterwards.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
After still having auras and then a grand-mal the other night, we've now (per vet) doubled her dosage. Here's to hoping for no more seizures this time...

Members online

No members online now.