Questions about my puppy

Hi everyone. I just got an 8 week old Golden Retreiver, Mookie, and I have a few questions
I was hoping you guys might have ideas :)

I also have a 2 1/2 year old golden, Zac, but I got him at 3 months, not as young
as my new puppy.

My first question is, my older dog is hoarding all the toys and barks at him when
he try's to play with anything. Should I let him do that, or tell him no?

I played with Mooki outside where Zac couldn't see, is that best for now?

He also barks a bit when he eats or goes near Zac's kennel. Is that ok?
It's a loud mean bark but he doesn't try to hurt him.

My next question is, when is it ok to take my puppy out?
I want to take him to the lake cuz my other dog loves swimming
and I take him there weekend days for exersize.
I don't want to stress my little guy out, tho.. is he old enough?
or to take on walks?

Third question, at night what is the best thing for my young pup?
should he stay in his kennel all night? when should he go to the bathroom?

and lastly, did any of you feel stressed getting new dog? I am pretty stressed
out! What did you guys do to relaxe and feel less stressed?

he has already peed and poohed outside, 3x! no mistakes yet yay!

oh one more question, how often should he drink water and how often
should he sleep?
he is sleeping a lot.

hmm thats it for now lol. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone :)

Wish me luck! lol

Fran27

Hey Kirsten

Stressed? For the first week after I got Boris, my 10 weeks old golden retriever I was in tears all the time. Sure, I'm pretty emotive usually, but it was overwhelming. It got better though, it was just very tiring.

I can't help you with your problems with the other golden. My guess would be to maybe seperate them a bit, and let Mookie play with toys when Zac isn't around, because he *will* need toys if you care a bit for your books, furniture etc.

For the walks, I would wait. At 5 months Boris still gets tired from walks after 40ish minutes (granted, he jumps and runs around quite a bit). I would say that at 8 weeks, you could walk him 5 minutes at a time, but not much longer. So, you could take him to the lake, but you probably should keep him at your feet most of the time.

For the night, I was very lucky and at 10 weeks my pup was able to hold 6 hours. The best is to wake up every 3 hours or so and take him outside. It's hard, but as he grows up you can increase the time. The rest of the day, take him out after playing, eating, naping.

Good luck!

avenlee

First of all. Don't panic! lol

I think Zac is feeling a little jealous. But, I think after both Zac and Mookie get used to eachother, Zac's reactions will subside. Zac is only telling Mookie who's boss and if you really think Zac won't hurt the puppy, I would let nature take its course. In otherwords, they will both know where they stand in terms with eachother. I know you just got your new puppy and it is a bit early to expect them to 'click'.

For the playing with them separately ... I don't know, I can understand your reasoning to do it like that, however, I would think it would be better to get the both of them playing together to get used to eachother. I think the quicker you get them together the quicker they will learn where each one stands in the 'pack'. (I had it easy with my Cocker and introducing the new puppy Westie. Sadie is such a pushover and Nora would literally take a toy out of Sadie's mouth without a care from day one)

8 weeks is pretty young, but I would think it would be ok to take her out anywhere. I might be wrong and will leave that to the experts :) I definately wouldn't over exert Mookie though. I would carry her more than forcing her to walk.

I never let my dogs have water after 8:00 pm the latest. It was 7:00 when they were puppies. I would let them out around 9:00 - 9:30 before settling down for the night.

Hope this all helps a bit. I'm no expert, but through experience, these all worked for me.

GOOD LUCK! and don't get stressed out! Take one thing at a time.

Adrienne

When I introduced Gunnar into my home at seven weeks Neva my APBT was six-years-old and not very happy with the new playmate! I let them work out their issues because like your older dog Neva only growled and barked at him, didn't really aggress him at all. The pecking order needs to be established so that they can co-exsist peacefully in the future. If it gets out of hand make sure you are around to break them up. If you just recently got this other dog as well then he is probably still adjusting to you and your home and may be a bit more insecure with having a new pup around. Give them time, soon they'll be best buds.

As for taking the pup out places, that is kind of a personal choice. You run across people who say NO not until shots have been completed, but, by then you have missed some important socialization periods. Pups that are not vaccinated should avoid places like dog parks, petco, etc. or be picked up while there, that is the advice I was given. On the other hand I did some research and learned that a healthy puppy should have no problem being exposed to different virus and such, that is how they develop their immune system on their own. I always took Gunnar to petco and dog parks and he is a healthy happy pup. Do research and make an informed decision on what you think is best for you and your pup.

You'r puppy will most likely let you know how often he has to go out at night. Most likely it will be once or twice and this usually doesn't last long. Gunnar is four months now and goes out for bedtime potty around 11 and then can hold it until 9 or 10.

I personally never withold water from my animals, if I get thirsty I would hate to have to wait till the next day for a drink. Also, water flushes the system of toxins and buildups, it is vital for a healthy pup or dog and most of the flushing goes on at night when they are at rest. I haven't had any problems with more night pottying even though they have water available 24 hrs a day. If you crate your pup that will limit his access to water enough I would say. Once again, personal opinion!

Last, puppies sleep and sleep and sleep and sleep and sleep! So much growing to do in such a short time. Enjoy it while it lasts, soon your pup will hardly ever slow down for a snooze. As long as he awakes with energy and is happy and eager to check stuff out then he is fine!

Good luck with your new pup and don't worry it only gets more amusing!

bubbatd

Do you have the book " How to Raise a Puppy you can live with " -Rutherford and Neil ? All your questions are answered there.. good luck ! Sounds like the pottying going well . Sounds like Zac is teaching Mookie . Get Mookie his own toys. Zac may be afraid his might be torn up.

hi everyone. Thank you for your replys!

I will get that book..

he kept me up all night last night, he cryed in his crate and started screaming
so I took him out and tried him on my bed which didn't work out either.

finally I just let him run around and he peed on the floor sometime during the nite

how did you guys crate train your dogs?

Kirsten_21

Well I took Mooki back :(

I was so stressed I started crying hysterically and I got a bad cold
last night as well.. I guess it just wasn't the right time.
Lucky for me the breeder is excellent and may even keep
him herself.. Ugh I am so sick, overtired and feel so bad

Has anyone else gone through this? when did you
stop feeling so bad?

avenlee

awww so sorry it didn't work out for you and Mookie. At least you made a responsilbe decision, although I'm sure as hard is was to do. i'm glad the breeder was equally respnsible and understanding.

Good luck to you and take care

Barb04

Super Moderator
Kristen, I know it was a hard decision for you to make. You are very responsible and show maturity in making a tough decision and giving Mooki back to the breeder. We still want to hear about Zac who I know must love you dearly. We are here to listen whenever you need us.

Fran27

Sorry Kirsten. To be honest I almost wanted to give my dog back too, now I'm glad I didn't, but it was so stressful I really understand. I don't think I ever want another puppy again.

Kirsten_21

Thanks guys. I feel really awful about it.. :(..

even tho I know he will have a great life.

I think when I get another dog I will get an adult maybe from
a golden rescue.

I've had about an equal number of adult rescues and puppies. I love the puppies; they're everything puppies should be, but I have to say there is something very special about the adults I've rescued. If it weren't for not putting Bimmer in a potentially dangerous situation by bringing in adult dogs that outweigh him 2:1 (he being The Top Dawg in his view of the world) who might challenge his position, I'd be rescuing adult Filas.

I'll have to admit, too, that Fila puppies, although they have their own unique pecadillos, don't seem to be as much of a problem in some of the more frustrating ways of the more bouncing-off-the-walls breeds. I don't know that I'd be up for dealing with a puppy like a Lab or Retriever or Border Collie.

bubbatd

Golden Rescues have so many great dogs ! You can always foster to make sure it's the right dog for you. Also, our Indiana Rescue ( Grrace.org ) will refund your money if before 2 weeks the golden isn't working out. Dogs have all their shots, spade or neutered so a lot of the costs are already covered.

Members online

No members online now.