Im so tired of Exclusive!

LizzieCollie

Collie Crazy
I really need some guidance. I switched me pup over to Exclusive (was eating Beneful) a little over a week ago. I switched because I joined some dog forums and I became more aware on her nutrition.

But now I am thinking that I should have just left her on Beneful. With Beneful she had firm, regular bowel movements, she ate more, enjoyed it and seemed overall healthier!

Now with Exclusive she has had the runs for 4 days straight, ive been giving her pumking to try and firm up the stools with no luck. Ive eliminated her daily intake of egg, so I dont upset her tummy anymore. I dont know what to do!

She is only eating about 1/4 cup (or less) in the morning and just a few bites in the evening, unless I give her a chicken thigh which she eats it all but I havent been giving her anything but the kibble so that she doesnt upset her stomach.

What should I do!

P.S. I live in Puerto Rico and I dont have acess to any higher quality foods except for Exclusive and Royal Canin and Royal Canin is not an option, I am not going to pay that much for a medium quality food. Why is she having these symptoms with a higher quality food?

If you switched her over without mixing the foods for a few days, it will take her a few days to settle her stomach.

Elissa

LizzieCollie

Collie Crazy
I switched her over 10 days ago, mixing it in bit by bit for 3 days and she has had diarreah for 4 days, soiling her crate twice

She may not be eating as much b/c she is just used to the other one.
I think that with some dogs it can take quite a while for thier Stomach to settle in to the new food.

Fran27

Do you have the ingredients of that food?

Either way, Boris got really sick when we switched him from his crappy food to a better one too... I think it just takes a while for the system to adjust (like for us really).

Mordy

Quigleyfied
Fast her for 24 hours and then give her some boiled chicken and rice, starting with small amounts frequently throughout the day. See how that goes and then try the new food again.

Would you be open to feeding a completely home prepared diet? That way you wouldn't have to deal with commercial food at all.

LizzieCollie

Collie Crazy
Here are the ingredients to Exclusive Chicken and Rice:

Chicken, Chicken Meal, oatmeal, whole grain brown rice, corn gluten meal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), dried beet pulp, flaxseed, dried egg product, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, brewers dried yeast

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min.) 28.0%
Crude Fat (min.) 17.0%
Crude Fiber (max.) 3.0%
Moisture (max.) 10.0%
Calcium (min.) 1.2%
Phosphorus (min.) 1.0%
Zinc (min.) 200 ppm
Vitamin A (min.) 20,000 IU/kg
Witamin E (min.) 150 IU/kg
Omega 6- Fatty Acids (min.) 3.3%*
Omega 3- Fatty Acids (min.) 0.5%*

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profile

Dont know what all this means but its sure better than Beneful by products, yet she doesnt seem to know this!

I got this information straight from the bag by the way

LizzieCollie

Collie Crazy
Mordy said:
Fast her for 24 hours and then give her some boiled chicken and rice, starting with small amounts frequently throughout the day. See how that goes and then try the new food again.

Would you be open to feeding a completely home prepared diet? That way you wouldn't have to deal with commercial food at all.

I would be open to it, but I would be very worried that she is not getting enough vitamins and calcium, I know that an all raw diet needs supplementing which is why I feed kibble and an ocassional raw. I would be curious as to how to home cook for my pup and I can definately give it a try it would probably be cheaper than the overpriced food I buy her!

Mordy

Quigleyfied
Guidelines do exist for the nutrient requirements of dogs, which you can use together with an analyzing tool (like for example http://www.nutritiondata.com) to make sure your dog gets everything she needs.

Members online

No members online now.