Mini Doxie found vicious for biting a vet tech

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
can you say LAWSUIT, yes, yes you can ;)
Unfortunately, dog owners are often at a serious disadvantage. Often the burden of proof is on them to prove their dog is not vicious (yes, this is legal, because dogs are property). It is often expensive to hire a lawyer, unless you can find one to take the case pro bono. Sometimes the dog is conficated and dead before one can even file and because most dogs have no monetary value, there is really nothing to sue for. Basically, the city usually holds all the cards, even if it is in the wrong. Lets hope they get a smart judge.

MPP

petperson
Could the owners not file a lawsuit against the city for trying to confiscate their property illegally?

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
It boils down to them being able to afford to fight it now that it's started. Just sad ...

It does make you wonder WHO reported it .... I'm assuming the MD, and maybe it wasn't mentioned what her profession was.

I was a tech for 13 yrs and only had 2 bites that required medical attention. In both cases, I refused to provide the information on the dog to the ER dog ... I simply stated it was a dog bite and the dog had been vaccinated (and my tetanus was current). Neither instance caused a problem ...

Dog-Training-Outlet

Dog-Training-Outlet.com
Well, it does happen! As owners we do what we can to train and control when needed but we cannot prevent another human being from acting stupidly. Good luck.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Could the owners not file a lawsuit against the city for trying to confiscate their property illegally?
Sure, but they need the money and the resources to win that lawsuit. It is an unfortunate truth that justice is rarely free, and the less "valuable" the "property" the fewer safeguards there are. Frankly, they can take your CAR on suspicion that you used it for a crime and keep it for months without a hearing. A dog doesn't have a chance.

MPP

petperson
Good grief. What is WRONG with these people? Why must they twist an incident like this into something it absolutely WASN'T?!? If it were my dog, it would run away from home right about now, maybe to an out-of-town friend. (That's probably illegal too, but--prove it.):p

Grab

I think the city is using a local law that can go beyond state law..or something like that
Lafayette prosecuting Spork, Dachshund that bit vet tech - Boulder Daily Camera

My guess is that, originally at least, the doctor's office notified animal control. I think the same happens here. But then it does sound, if it is written correctly, as if the tech herself pressed charges beyond that..which seems silly.
I've been bitten before, it's just part of the job.

Doberluv

Well, if people weren't so dumb! Someone in the animal business shouldn't be allowed to work with animals if she's that stupid to put her face right up close to a dog's face. That is totally normal for a dog to feel threatened by that, especially when it's particularly nervous about being at a vet's office. That was clearly her fault. She provoked the dog! This just makes me so mad!

Paige

Let it be
Working at a dog groomers you just learn all dogs are evil when they walk through our doors. It's nothing personal. Most cheer up and will give you kisses after. No grudges held but when you are causing discomfort, pain and fear in an animal of course it's going to react. Bandit is a terror to send in to the groomer and he's a lovely dog.

Dekka

Just try me..
Ack this is so horrible.

Mark got bit up pretty badly trying to catch a loose JRT at a trial. The dog was scared. It bit and bit pretty seriously. The dog bite was reported at the hospital, but it gets reported to health services and they just want to ensure rabies is up to date. If it is and no one is upset thats the end of it.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Maybe we should be glad it was Spork and not a bigger dog, because it sounds like this idiot of a vet tech would be one of those screaming for a breed ban from the rooftops. :rolleyes:

Seriously dude...you work with animals in a stressful situation, there is a risk that you will get bitten at some point. I worked in a busy boarding resort. I was very good at handling the stressed out animals without getting bitten, but even still, I knew there was a chance. I was bitten a couple of times by some smaller dogs, but never to an extent of needing more than a cleaning and bandage with some neosporin, mostly because I was aware of what was going on and usually got mostly out of range when they struck.

Pops2

I think the city is using a local law that can go beyond state law..or something like that
Lafayette prosecuting Spork, Dachshund that bit vet tech - Boulder Daily Camera

My guess is that, originally at least, the doctor's office notified animal control. I think the same happens here. But then it does sound, if it is written correctly, as if the tech herself pressed charges beyond that..which seems silly.
I've been bitten before, it's just part of the job.
if state law specifically exempts vet offices then the city has to go pound sand, they can't legally make & enforce a law contrary to state law. if they do, the victims of the illegal law could win big in a civil suit in state court.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
if state law specifically exempts vet offices then the city has to go pound sand, they can't legally make & enforce a law contrary to state law. if they do, the victims of the illegal law could win big in a civil suit in state court.
That can depend on the state home-rule provisions, unfortunately.

Well, the long and short of it (sorry, couldn't resist the Doxie ref ;) ) is that I call bullshit.

Vet tech is incompetent, veterinary clinic deserves to go under. Spork's people need to find him a veterinary office with a modicum of sense and a firm sense of ethics.

Members online

No members online now.