pregnant

I'm not going to read through this whole thread because from what I've skimmed over, this is my summary "I don't like the answers I've gotten so I'm going to resort to ignoring the advice I've been given, at the cost of the dog, and throwing out insults".

That said....

1) Get the dog ultrasounded ASAP. If she's not pregnant, she could have a serious medical condition causing the belly to be enlarged like that. I had a cushing's dog that had a huge belly full of fluid and looked like a pregnant dog.

2) Throw YOUR views of abortion out the window. This is not a human, do not instill your human views on her. Pregnancy can kill a young, healthy bitch...certainly you are aware that her odds of suffering serious complications if allowed to go through with this have increased significantly due to her age and history.

3) Stop being defensive about food and LISTEN. People aren't telling you a food is bad just to hurt your feelings. A dog who is pregnant needs the best food available. The puppies need the nutrition to grow properly, and if the food is lacking, they are going to leech nutrition from poor Mom's body.

4) Contact someone with your state's beagle club. There may be someone there who can recommend a good vet in your area, and possibly even someone who would be able to come give you some hands on help. Stop being defensive because they're going to likely tell you alot of the same things you've been told here, and they're not going to sugar coat it for you.

Sheza,

I agree with you 110%!

Ok, so Aborting the puppies is OUT OF THE QUESTION. She's not going to do it, so lets drop it. Theirs NO use in telling her your oppinions about why she should abort the pups, she's not going to do it, so lets move on from here. shadowfacedanes, What you said before you so wonderfully added your input, was uncalled for. She didn't ask you to tell her your 'summary' so don't add it, because its getting us NO WHERE except for another fight, which this thread OBVIOUSLY dosn't need another one of. She simply asked for advice and help. I see threads like this ALL the time here on caz where someone asks for advice and it turns into a huge arguement. Its your 'my way is the one way' and 'holier then thou' attitudes that drives people away. I wouldn't be surprised if the OP left and never came back and I don't blame her.

NaturesGift,

I am SO happy that you took in this dog! It's obvious she's in good hands now. :) I hope that her pregnancy (if she is) will go smoothly, and you will be blessed with healthy and happy puppies. If she is not pregnant, I hope the problem will be taken care of smoothly.
I wish you the best of luck with your new dog and her puppies!!

~Nicole and the pack
Sadie,Bailey,Buster,Gus and Lily

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
the point is not about the abortion...though the spay should have been one of the first things done...

the POINT that everyone is making is there has been LOTS of advice given in this thread and everything is shot back with nothing more than excuses...none of the "Reasons" make any sense...
and the whole...we only dont like iams and pedigree because were picking on her...
yeah sure...iams is actually a great food, as is pedigree, but because shes feeding it were all gonna say its crap...

some people got a little high stung a little quickly...however this poster (as ive seen form history forum searches) has a history of comming here with similar stories, shooting down all adivce given turnign the post into friction as if everyones purposly targetting then storming off in a huff...often the post doesnt turn nasty untill someone says "hey are you such and such" at which point posts that are just as friendly as the ones before suddenly become targetting?!

seems like childish bull to me on many parts however this didnt get ugly untill prefecly WONDERFULL advice was shot down by the OP.

the point is not about the abortion...though the spay should have been one of the first things done...

the POINT that everyone is making is there has been LOTS of advice given in this thread and everything is shot back with nothing more than excuses...none of the "Reasons" make any sense...
and the whole...we only dont like iams and pedigree because were picking on her...
yeah sure...iams is actually a great food, as is pedigree, but because shes feeding it were all gonna say its crap...

some people got a little high stung a little quickly...however this poster (as ive seen form history forum searches) has a history of comming here with similar stories, shooting down all adivce given turnign the post into friction as if everyones purposly targetting then storming off in a huff...often the post doesnt turn nasty untill someone says "hey are you such and such" at which point posts that are just as friendly as the ones before suddenly become targetting?!

seems like childish bull to me on many parts however this didnt get ugly untill prefecly WONDERFULL advice was shot down by the OP.
I understand where your coming from. But I think she does have a reason to get defensive. HELLO somone called her a Liar. if someone called me a liar, I would feel the need to defend myself as well.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
This is all about the dog.. everyone needs to get past themselves long enough to see that. Excellent advice has been given, I hope it's taken- for the sake of dog and the puppies she may or may not be carrying. THAT is what this is about. Anything else can be taken to PM's.

Emmalee

Any news?

Has your dog had her puppies yet?

Will you post pics so we can see?

Good luck with your dog and her pups :)

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
Using the dates given, we'd still have a couple of weeks to go still. Hopefully we'll get an update when the pups get here or she knows something definite as to the bitches condition. Good luck to the OP.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I'd also love to hear any update, I've been thinking about this dog.

naturesgift

Mo Wildlife Rehabber
Thanks everyone for your Interest in Nutmegs well being. I will let you know when I know for sure. If she is I will post pics of the pups. And update along the path of there life. I have been keeping in touch with several members through Pm. And I would like to thank them for helping and letting me explain Nutmeg a little bit better to them.
I have chosen to stay off this thread though in hopes that I do not offend anyone else. I'll keep you posted. I promise. (just on a new thread) :) TY

Mandie.

H

HarleyD

She's pregnant...definitely. Just how far along is the question. Get an x-ray and find out how many there are and how big they should be and if the vet thinks she'll need some help.

H

HarleyD

Wow. I just read some of the posts and I can't believe how rude some of the were...and off topic. If you don't like a dog being pregnant, that's fine but dont' try to pressure someone into aborting if they don't believe in it. They may very well make sure the pups get a great home or keep them herself. It sounds like she's trying to do the best she can for the beagle and I really don't see what it matters about her rehabbing birds. It's not your town, your laws, or your birds, so what's it matter? JMO though

B

BRTLover

She sure looks pregnant to me. I do not believe in abortion at all {just my personal feelings and it is purely up to you and your vet to decide what is best} but I would make sure she gets constant vet checks.
Spay her after puppies are weaned and all puppies should be spayed or neutered prior to go to their new homes.
She is very lucky to have you and I am sure you will take very good care of her.

How could anyone call you a bad breeder? You did not breed her; you rescued her!

B

BRTLover

Thanks everyone for your Interest in Nutmegs well being. I will let you know when I know for sure. If she is I will post pics of the pups. And update along the path of there life. I have been keeping in touch with several members through Pm. And I would like to thank them for helping and letting me explain Nutmeg a little bit better to them.
I have chosen to stay off this thread though in hopes that I do not offend anyone else. I'll keep you posted. I promise. (just on a new thread) :) TY

Mandie.
I did not read each post as I have no time for sillyness. Do what you know is right and try to ignore the rude comments. It makes no difference where you go or what you do; there will always be someone there to tell you; your wrong.
I do not know you or anyone else on this forum so I will do my best to be helpful to anyone who needs it and non judgemental.

My ideas of breeding and who should and should not be breeding is extremely regimental but this is not the place or the time to push my ideas onto someone.

I personally do not believe in abortion at all. It is a religious and personal choice by me! You did not breed her. You saved her. You are doing the best you can with the choices someone else made for her and for you!

Good Luck!

For feeding something is better then nothing! I know lots of people who feed Pedigree and their dogs live long healthy lives. The poor girl is likely stressed out! Just put down a dish of food and as long as she is healthy she will start eating. Dogs cannot starve themselves. The unborn welps will be just fine and she will start eating when she is ready!
It is easy for people who do not know you and likely will never ever know you to tell you that you are feeding garbage. I feed Diamond {something some people here feel is not good} but I put lots of research into the food and it is something I can afford to feed. Other then the bioligical warfare going on with the "Lamb" my dogs look great. I will be switching back to the "chicken" but sticking with the Diamond. I like the results.
There was another brand name I wanted to feed {cannot remember the name right now} but at $80 a bag and they eat the same amount; I simply cannot afford that.

This thread is about your dog sorry!

Thank you for taking her in and taking such good care of her.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.