So far, so good...

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Remember this, about three weeks ago?

We're noticing a little progress!

She's a very different dog to photograph than Finnegan. Finn always looks at me, he's a great portrait dog. But it's hard to get a good posed profile shot of him. Beauty is the opposite. She pauses and watches a lot, so I get a lot of nice side shots.

Oh, dis is mah good side.

Also, since the two of them don't think they can fit together on a couch, I spread old sleeping bags in the spare catch-all guest bedroom and declared the guest bed the "sometimes dog bed". The dogs got comfortable quick, LOL.

All for now!

monkeys23

Yay progress!!! I can't wait to see her svelte and lovely! She's built kinda funky... really deep chested like Scout. But Scout's deep chest comes from being mostly GSD.... It'll be interesting to see what her structure is like at her ideal weight, which is thinner in Sibes than most people think it should be.

Oh man, Lily gives me those looks All. The. Time. So cute! :rofl1:
We're noticing a little progress!

Oh, dis is mah good side.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Yay progress!!! I can't wait to see her svelte and lovely! She's built kinda funky... really deep chested like Scout. But Scout's deep chest comes from being mostly GSD.... It'll be interesting to see what her structure is like at her ideal weight, which is thinner in Sibes than most people think it should be.
This is her two years ago. Not super-skinny or svelte, but at what I would call a relatively healthy weight:

I'd like her to be slimmer than even that photo suggests, though. She only got really chubs in the past spring/summer. She is definitely built oddly - very deep-chested, a bit thick-shaped naturally and her build is very husky (harhar). Her rear legs don't do well carrying that extra weight at all - I suspect she doesn't have great joints in the first place, she's not from a good breeder. Her legs aren't horrible, but there's a bit of wobble in her ankles.

Things we've been doing:

I've been giving her some of Finn's coat and joint supplements, and she's on Nutreco Lifetime Fish food now, which isn't amazing, but comparable to Kirkland for the same price as Beneful (and made in Ontario). Also PORTIONED FEEDING. I know some dogs can get away with being free-fed, but a husky? Really?

We've also discovered that she likes the flirt pole, so I've been using that for stamina exercise since she can't easily go to a lot of the same parks as Finn. I mean, zoomies with Finn alone are really helping with her weight. Poor girl's been pretty sedentary for a while now. I can't wait to see her move come winter! :D

Last edited:
That's already an amazing difference, she's going to feel SO much better soon once she runs some more weight off.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
That's already an amazing difference, she's going to feel SO much better soon once she runs some more weight off.
Thanks! I agree. Even in the just-over-three weeks she's been here, I see such an improvement in her motion and gait. She moves easier and more freely. Her coat also looks amazing, and she's shedding much less.

JacksonsMom

Big improvement in such a short time! I can't wait to see how she looks in a month or two... keep up the good work. :)

Lyzelle

I agree with Monkey's post...she really is built funky. Not so much the deep chest, I think that's fairly common and in GOOD WEIGHT, it's normal for Sibes to look a bit herring-gutted. It's her topline and her hind end that looks odd to me. Very angled, and I'd wonder if her hips are bad although it could be her back pasterns, too. Maybe she's got GSD in there somewhere?

It might just be her build that make her weight look odd. Maybe just carrying it weird. Zane has that issue with his deep, wide chest too. He carries a lot of weight over his ribs, but not his topline. It's hard to get him to carry it right, unless he's full conditioned and muscled. And that's not necessarily always easy to keep up with!

She's beautiful though, and it's awesome to see her in good weight! :D I look forward to more pictures!

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
I agree with Monkey's post...she really is built funky. Not so much the deep chest, I think that's fairly common and in GOOD WEIGHT, it's normal for Sibes to look a bit herring-gutted. It's her topline and her hind end that looks odd to me. Very angled, and I'd wonder if her hips are bad although it could be her back pasterns, too. Maybe she's got GSD in there somewhere?

It might just be her build that make her weight look odd. Maybe just carrying it weird. Zane has that issue with his deep, wide chest too. He carries a lot of weight over his ribs, but not his topline. It's hard to get him to carry it right, unless he's full conditioned and muscled. And that's not necessarily always easy to keep up with!

She's beautiful though, and it's awesome to see her in good weight! :D I look forward to more pictures!
Her build is very weird indeed, and her hips are bad. Not terribad, but I can see a hint of what will likely develop into dysplasia. :( I have her on GlucosaPet while she lives here, I think it's especially important with the extra running she's suddenly doing.

Pretty sure she's purebred husky, but she's from a bad BYB, I know that, so her odd structure can very well be attributed to that.

Members online

No members online now.