golden retrievers and digging?

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Is this a common trait for them? Elwood LOVES to dig! He has dug a huge hole in our backyard and will just lay in it. But he only digs in the section that has sand. We took the kids to the beach and a guy was sitting with an adult golden retriever and he also dug a huge hole in the sand and was laying in it. The guy said his dog loves to dig as well. Is this a golden retriever trait, or are our two dogs just wierd?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Well, I know my german shepherd X from the guess the breed thread that everyone said looked to be part golden dug like no other. He dug up our sandbox and he would dig in this gigantic flower pot we had if you didn't pay him close attention.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I was thinking it may just depend on the dog but didn't know. I know he only will dig in sand though as the only part of the yard he dug up is sand. He digs up the carpet too but I only the parts where the kids spilled something. Maybe there's something buried there that he's trying to get. We fill it in and he just digs it right back up, we thought about replacing the sand with something else but don't want him to start digging up the whole yard so figure it's better he just dig up the little sand area than the whole yard.

bubbatd

My Goldens didn't dig much .... Ollie used to , but has stopped . Once at a beach , my Bubba went nuts " helping " 2 young boys dig their way to China !

My sisters Golden digs...but only at the beach. (she is another on the way to China digger) I don't know about mine, she is only 8 weeks, but she hasn't yet.

Members online

No members online now.