How to choose the right Boston Terrier...

McKenzie

I have been talking with two breeders and I have been given a chance to adopt one of their puppies. My problem is that I don't know how to choose just one out of the whole litter. I know that I am looking for a female so that much is taken care of but what more should I be looking into.

I've seen one litter and I noticed that the puppies eyes have a lot of white showing giving them the east-west look but both the mom and dad barely have any white showing. Will the white go away as they get bigger?

Any help will be appreciated

Sometimes they grow out of it and sometimes they don't. My boston, Joey, is a bit wall-eyed. I think it just adds that much more character, but I know it also creeps some people out!:D

Maxy24

do the breeders Happen to have websites, I'd love to see them and see if they had pics of potential puppies. Do you prefer one breeder over the other?

lol, yeah, he doesn't seem to have any problems seeing. He plays fetch just fine and he's not especially clumsy, so I don't think it bothers him at all. If he's tired I notice his eyes tend to get more wall-eyed. Both those pictures were taken later in the day.

showpug

Breeders usually pick what pup to place with you based on a number of factors. It's rare that a reputable breeder lets you pick from a whole litter. Is this a show breeder with health tested stock?

As far as the wall eyes are concerned. It is something they can outgrow, but it's not a guarantee. As they age their eye muscles can strengthen. On another note, keep in mind that sometimes too much white can be a sign of more serious health problems like hydrocephalus (sp) etc.

Boston Terriers are prone to several eye problems. I'd make sure that the breeder has CERF screened their dogs. (http://www.vmdb.org/cerf.html) Juvenile cataracts are a common eye problem with the breed. Though I love Joey like crazy, he was a gift from my very well meaning bf. He's not from the best breeder.

McKenzie

I practically had to give one of them my first born for a chance to get on the waiting list and both breeders say that the pups are from championship/show lines. I'm new at this whole thing and I'm trying my best to get a good dog from a good breeder.
Were paying more for the puppy then we spend in a whole month. I know price doesn't mean anything but Ive put a lot of time in to finding breeders who weren't byb or puppy mills and 90% of the breeders Ive come across were.

Well, if they really are good breeders they won't mind telling you the health tests they have done on their dogs. Health tests are really the best way to tell the difference between a good breeder and a hobby/byb.

showpug

Championship and show LINES mean nothing if the parents aren't shown and the breeders don't actively participate in dog shows. Ask for the registration number of the sire and dam and look to see if they have had any health screens done. Here are the sites you can search for them on:

www.offa.org
http://www.vmdb.org/cerf.html

Where are you located and have you searched for your breeder through the Boston Terrier Club of America or are they members?

Members online