I am so repulsed.....

Doberluv

It's passed by other dogs in the feces. They can pick it up off the ground or anywhere. Was your pup vaccinated? (puppy shots?) Your dog may have worms which can cause diahhrea or it could be the food just doesn't work well. I'd do the pumpkin and perhaps some live culture yogart...just a couple teaspoons at first. But human diahhrea medicine, I found out from the pharmacist isn't the same compound that it use to be. It may be that this stuff would irritate the lining of the intestines. This is what the pharmacist told me when I asked about Kaopectate. The vet had recommended a little of that for my dog when he had problems and when I asked the pharmacisit about it, that's when he told me that they had changed the formula. So, I'd be careful about using medications. Also, I agree that giving bones would be dangerous.

Boiled chicken and rice is plain and normally easily digested. Rice tends to firm up stools. It is helpful with diahhrea. But don't use Minute rice. It has to be real, sticky rice. It is not very fibrous, so it won't increase the bulk of the stool, but to get the diahhrea under control, that can help, along with the pumpkin. I'd try that for a few days and see. But if your dog has worms or some other illness, that will not cure it, only help with the symptoms.

Tell your parents that everyone on the message board thinks that your dog should see a vet. Diahhrea that goes on and on is an indication that something is wrong. It can also, if allowed to go on for a long time cause long term, permenant damage to the intestinal lining, which can lead to some cancers.

I wish you all the best.

showpug

Dogs get Parvo by coming into contact with an infected dog or an area where an infected dog has been/gone to the bathroom. Has your dog been vaccinated against it? On another note, you need to withold everything but water from your dog for 12-24 hours to give her system a break. When you re-introduce food after that time frame, do so slowly and with small amounts. I would start off by giving a little science diet sensitive stomach formula - don't get me wrong, I am NOT a fan of science diet or feeding their foods long term as there are MANY better and more natural options out there, but the sensitive stomach formula works really well as a temporary fix for diarrhea. I would buy a very small bag and give it a try after withholding food for 12-24 hrs.. I would also try explaining to your parents that she is sick and that is why she is having accidents. Normal stool in dogs is small, firm, and not liquid! Good luck and keep us posted. :confused:

nedim

Thanks. She's currently on Purina puppy chow. I think she is pooping like this because of what I do. I feed her table scraps more than I should. Maybe this is the problem?

Saje

Island dweller
Hi Nedim. I'm just popping on the computer at work. Mine's broken. :(

Anyway, I agree with Renee. Feed the pumpkin. It's really a wonderful thing. My bunnies get it when they are sick. My cats eat it sometimes and the dogs will get it occassionally.

Some other things to consider are the stress levels in the house and bleach. Bleach is not good for dogs. It's not good for us either but we don't live so close to the floor. That's just my opinion though. :) Does Peanut show stress in other ways? If she is shedding a lot that can be a sign of stress. The animals at the shelter where I go shed a lot. More and more the longer they've been there. It's a stressful environment. There is a herbal forumla that helps animals relax. I hope Renee remembers the name of it because I can't. You might want to try it and see if it helps her at all.

I'll check back when I can to see how you are doing. I hope it works out.

showpug

You could try rescue remedy or D.A.P Comfort zone? These are both suppose to help calm an animal. I only have experience with D.A.P and found it somewhat helpful :cool:

S

Stanna

My vet said it was ok to give my dog pepto bismol for 'normal' bouts of diarrhea.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=0&cat=1459&articleid=1456

That might help you a bit. Make sure peanut has lots of water.

My dog was a rescue too, and housetrained. Still, her second week with us she did have a few poop incidents. We dismissed them to stress and dietary changes. She had about 3 accidents total and then it just stopped. It may be a common thing on rescue dogs as their nerves settle down.

I wouldn't count diarrhea as marks against housetraining, she just can't help herself. you may want to contain her to a tiled area of the house until she is over it? If it last for more than a few days though, defenitely get her to vet.

chigrl

If youve only had the pup 2 weeks it could be stress, food change, anything...dogs are funny little things, that can get sick quickly...is it possible the little one got into something?! its quite possible that shes got no control...keep a really close eye on her she may need a vet! My breeder gives her dogs a very small amount of Pepto, or Kaopectate for the poops...Ive tried it with my chis, and it helped them...

nedim

well, the battle is over. Peanut is back to her "regular"(so many jokes and puns with that word, but I'll hold onto them.lol.)self. She is pooping normally and seems to be healthy. She IS shedding a lot, but everyone says thats normal for a corgi.

bubbatd

There's nothing like a good, normal, firm poop !!! Clap, clap Peanuts !!!!

mrose_s

BusterLove
Patrick and Lino said:
When a dog eats bones, the digestion process uses and burns excess water contained in it´s normal food. You should feed your dog raw bones, ox tail for example. Cooked bones can splinter and damage it´s stomache/intestines. She should always have plenty of water nearby.

Your problem may also lay on what you feed her, I don´t know what you feed her so I can´t help you there and be carefull, it will annoy your parents when they wake up at 3am, go to the fridge for a glass of water and stand on a sharp bone.
another thing about cooked bones, like cooked chicken bones, we dont feed to our dogs because they can chew them into a paste that clogs them up... but my step-dad wont listen to that logic, and i have to continually watch him after they eat chicken for dinner as i usually then find old bones in panda's and daisy's bowls... GRR :mad:

mrose_s

BusterLove
and if she sheds excessivley, you could try brushing her as often as possible, and sweep up every couple of days, just so there is no huge problem about that

nedim

mrose_s said:
and if she sheds excessivley, you could try brushing her as often as possible, and sweep up every couple of days, just so there is no huge problem about that

I wish that were the case, but no matter how much I brush, she sheds. Even after a bath, she will shed like crazy. It gets to the point where I try not to hug her too much(yeah right.lol) ;) :rolleyes:

joce

My corgi is going through a bad shedding faze right now too :p IT seems like she always is though! She will actually let us run the shop vac down her back and sides which helps a ton(but I dont think most other dogs would allow that). I know what you mean about the brushing. Its like you brush bags full off and then you notice there is more than when you started! No one ever believies me when I say she sheds more than my husky but she does!

Glad to hear the poo problem is cleared up!

nedim said:
I wish that were the case, but no matter how much I brush, she sheds. Even after a bath, she will shed like crazy. It gets to the point where I try not to hug her too much(yeah right.lol) ;) :rolleyes:
Nedim:
Did you ever get that shedder rake "brush" thing I told you about? You go against the grain and it takes all the stray hairs and undercoat out?

Members online