Kona's ears are staying long & floppy

Barb04

Super Moderator
I had to say I was so proud of my husband yesterday. He so wanted to have Kona's ears cropped. The vet said he would do it. My husband wanted a look but after reading many of the comments on this board, talking to other owners, etc. he came to the conclusion that at 5 months she is in a time when she shouldn't go through any stressful events and said he realized that the cartilege is probably formed.

I thought this was going to be a losing battle for me to keep Kona the same way she is, but yesterday Carl came through. I gave him a kiss and told him I was proud that he was leaving Kona the way she is and not doing something to boost his ego. As Carl said, he couldn't bear to see his girl in pain just for him. He is a softy when it comes to animals, and his soft side came through.

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Wahoooo!! Well done Carl, what a nice parent he is!! I like nice natural ears!! Especially when they are flapping up and down when the dog is running!! :D

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
kiss each one of those long and floppy ears inside and out for me..i am soooo happy for Kona.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Purr said:
Yay Carl! Kona's beautiful just the way she is. What breed is she?
Kona is a bandog (1/2 american pitbull and 1/2 neopolitan mastiff)

bogolove

I love the floppy ears. They look like they match her personality anyway. She looks just gorgeous with those ears!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
when i see a cropped ear i see a wacked off piece of beautiful dog flesh. as if a human was missing half of theirs....i just cannot see it any other way. For the life of me i don't see how others can look at that and see beauty. I know i am just speaking for me..so it is not a cropping debate. I love Mary's and Victor's ears so much, the drape, the silkiness, it would be a horror for them to be gone. when i saw the pit bull flash and got to see the dogs that had ears..i thought them so much more lovely..I hope CArl sees that too someday.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Carl's a good hearted person and very much a lover of animals. Since he works in a prison, he wanted a dog that would look initimidating so help ward off strangers. I understand why he wanted the look. If he ever had a dog with cropped ears, the dog would have to come that way from the breeder because I do know in his heart he couldn't do it. He even said he would find it hard to deal with seeing a dog in pain just for his ego. Once he found an injured bird and brought it to a museum near us that has live birds so it could be nursed back to good health.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I imagine one deep dark growl from the pit of a big dog like that would say all that needed to be said..her size will itimiadate enough me thinks! She is going to be big big big gurl!!!! People are wary of Mary and she is only middling in comparison..just becuase of her color..tho she did take care of a certain bad gurl from around the corner now.! (good for carl and the bird....we gotta protect allllll the babies)

Carl needn't worry about people being wary of Kona. She's got the same eyes as Buffy had and EVERYONE was wary of Buffy, even though some people thought she was just a big hound of some sort, lol! They're wary of Shiva and Kharma, just not to quite the same extent of active terror, although Kharma is developing an 'edge.'

I think if there's ever a need, Carl will be pleasantly surprised at Max. The herding breeds - all of them - can be extremely formidable defensive dogs.

You give that big, soft hearted man a hug for all of us! I'll bet he finds himself enjoying how soft those ears are - they're like the softest velvet, aren't they?

Doberluv

I think that was the right decision. At 5 months it would be doubtful that the ears would stand and the dog has lived all this time and it would be more difficult. When they crop Dobermans ears, it's usually at about 7 weeks. They know no different (not much) and the pain is minimal... and the taping process, which is the real chore...which goes on for a long time is more par for the course for them. So, your older dog would be thrust into something that it wasn't use to. I think the floppy ears look just fine on Kona....really a lovely dog. I like both kinds of ears. And on some breeds which are traditionally cropped, I still think the floppy look great...Boxers, Pits, Danes. But on Dobermans, although they look all right, I still much prefer the cropped and not only for looks, but for function, but mostly for looks, admittedly, makes the whole dog compact, all one piece... with no appendages sticking out for something to grab.

Anyhow, your dog is beautiful and healthy looking.

Debi

Kona is so beautiful that I couldn't imagine changing anything. BOY do I LOVE her color..she is sleek and....gorgeous!! Your Carl is a sweetie. :) that rare combo of tough guy...with soft heart. (at least to animals and you...which is all we care about..LOL)

Debi

OK...make that soft heart to YOU and animals....I didn't mean you to be second. LOL

Barb04

Super Moderator
Thanks everyone, I do love Kona the way she is and Carl is a sweetie! Kona has just learned to bark at everything and is great at it, especially when she sees a reflection in the window.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Thanks Renee. CJ's one ear flaps down a bit more because she had to have the hematoma surgery on that ear last year. She is my cutie!

Members online

No members online now.