Eating Dogs, what do you think? *Disturbing*

jamiechew

quote: "Ever seen "alive" "

I have seen that movie and also read the book.. there was a difference there too, some of them got to relish the "food" they were eating, while others barely managed to get enough down to survive. I guess people will do anything if they are starving, but its a whole other matter to eat dog as a regular dish.. but I guess if its the culture its the same as us eating beef, pork or veal.. but I would still rather be a vegan than eat dog.

Rubylove said:
I decided that I could not truly call myself an animal activist, welfare worker and lover, if I continued to eat meat.
i dont know about that. i think you can eat meat and love and help animals at the same time. i dont think i could go without meat i like it to much and i think it is only the natural food chain to eat meat.
we are part of nature and i wouldnt call a human wrong for eating meat just like i wouldnt call a lion, wolf or dog wrong for being a carnivore.

nevertheless i wish they would kill them in a more human way and give them a nice good treatment until they die. thats what every animal deserves.

i would never eat dog as dog are companions and for me higher ranked then other animals. humans and dogs are so close. you can connect with dogs in a way you couldnt with a bunny or chicken. they chose us to rely on and it feels like betrail to me to eat them.

i dont wanna judge other cultures though. some cultures wouldnt eat cattle, i do and wouldnt wanna be judged because of it. HOWEVER the way those dogs and cats get treated and killed is pure torture.
everybody who treats an animal like that should get the same treatment!

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
jamiechew said:
quote: "Ever seen "alive" "

I have seen that movie and also read the book.. there was a difference there too, some of them got to relish the "food" they were eating, while others barely managed to get enough down to survive. I guess people will do anything if they are starving, but its a whole other matter to eat dog as a regular dish.. but I guess if its the culture its the same as us eating beef, pork or veal.. but I would still rather be a vegan than eat dog.

but see thats the thing. They don't have the same culture as we do. Dogs are not pets to a lot of people there. they aren't held in the same regard as here. it's not like they just say "hmmm think I will cook up spot for dinner tonight" It's a source of food for them. just like you said, just like cows and pigs for us.

mrose_s

BusterLove
well, again, with all animal deaths like that. that is what bothers me. I am not vegetarian because I believe eating meat is wrong, but I do believe allowing an animal to suffer like that is what has to be stopped. So I choose not to support it by being vegetarian. thats what I do.

The thing is, that we find it so disturbing because dogs int he west are companion animals. they help protect, love and work for us. they arnt seen as food becaus ethey are to valuable.. but, and correct me if im wrong, bu i think it is india that look at cattle as sacred animals, to the point where they wander the streets. To them, us eating a cow would be repulsive how ever we se nothing wrong with it.

so, it does depend on culture, and ofcourse I feel more for the dogs because i have spent so much more time with dogs than cattle (eventhough cattle are probably my favourite animal along with dogs and cats and horses)

but i do agree the conditions in which these dogs are kept in is dsgusting and wrong.

mrose_s

BusterLove
Rubylove said:
I had vegetarian pasta. I'm a dedicated vegetarian, and I don't eat ANY meat at all, not prawns, lobster, fish, chicken, lamb, veal, beef, anything.

I decided that I could not truly call myself an animal activist, welfare worker and lover, if I continued to eat meat. It's not the eating so much, but the treatment and the way they are killed that sickens and appalls me.

One day, I hope to be vegan. I'm working towards it, but it's not easy. However, not all things really worth doing are easy!! ;)
thast me in a nutshell. when people find out im veg, they say "how long? why? anyone else in your family a veg? and do you eat fish/chicken etc?"
and some of the time the only way to get through to them is to say "i dont eat anything that has been alive" (this all gets very confusing when it comes to plants) and then they think your some over radical person about to shove your belifs down their neck.

As my mum still cooks my meals i have decided to hold off veganism. I want to get my own cow and chooks so that I dont have to go that way and i can rely on animals I know are treated well to hellp provide for me. lol.

mrose_s

BusterLove
doberkim said:
but they are!

thats my point.

have you seen chicken production plants? where the chickens live stacked in cages on top of eachother, so the chicken on the bottom is crapped on by all the ones on top?
or the places where the beaks are cut off so they cannot peck each other to death?

have you seen feedlots where beefcattle go? how packed they are?

exactly, and veal for instance. the calfs cant even turn around! its wrong

Muttlies3

Are you kidding me?
There's no way "most" cows, chickens, pigs, etc are raised OR killed properly.

Unless it states "free-range" on eggs, beef, etc. they are treated cruelly from birth until the last second their suffering ends.

While still alive, chicken's beaks are cut off, bleach is poured into their eyes.
While still alive, cows get their necks and bodies slashed, hung upside down, while all of their blood drains from their bodies, suffering every moment until death.

Most likely the meat you buy from the grocery store is NOT from a happy little cow, chicken, pig, etc. that once lived in a nice field. Free-range meats are usually a heck of a lot expensive.

They are NO different than us - NO different at all. Over here in oh-so-perfect America we are just as disgusting when it comes to a majority of our livestock.

That said, I am a struggling vegetarian. I went vegetarian for a year but I basically starved myself. I didn't know how to go about it. I have been researching the subject for quite sometime and will once again try my hand at vegetarianism when I become more knowledgable on how to do it healthy.
To make myself feel a bit better, I do eat only free-range eggs, cheese, etc. It is incredibly expensive. For burgers, I eat boca burgers. I rarely eat beef. Only chicken & seafood.

And that said, I hate the fact that I love eating chicken and seafood so much. :(

When I was Veg. for a year I got all sort of dumb comments... "Are you with PETA or something?" NO FRICKIN WAY... I HATE that organization.

AusCatDogs_4Ever

but please call me Aus.
Muttlies3 said:
Are you kidding me?
There's no way "most" cows, chickens, pigs, etc are raised OR killed properly

Unless it states "free-range" on eggs, beef, etc. they are treated cruelly from birth until the last second their suffering ends.

While still alive, chicken's beaks are cut off, bleach is poured into their eyes.
While still alive, cows get their necks and bodies slashed, hung upside down, while all of their blood drains from their bodies, suffering every moment until death.

Most likely the meat you buy from the grocery store is NOT from a happy little cow, chicken, pig, etc. that once lived in a nice field. Free-range meats are usually a heck of a lot expensive.

They are NO different than us - NO different at all. Over here in oh-so-perfect America we are just as disgusting when it comes to a majority of our livestock.

That said, I am a struggling vegetarian. I went vegetarian for a year but I basically starved myself. I didn't know how to go about it. I have been researching the subject for quite sometime and will once again try my hand at vegetarianism when I become more knowledgable on how to do it healthy.
To make myself feel a bit better, I do eat only free-range eggs, cheese, etc. It is incredibly expensive. For burgers, I eat boca burgers. I rarely eat beef. Only chicken & seafood.

And that said, I hate the fact that I love eating chicken and seafood so much. :(

When I was Veg. for a year I got all sort of dumb comments... "Are you with PETA or something?" NO FRICKIN WAY... I HATE that organization.
I said I was wrong.:( It's just where I live there are a lot of farms around here and the cattle have great big feilds to run around in, instead of being caged all their lives. And at the farm were Charlie was born, the owner visits the cows everyday, hand feeds them and even pets them... I thought they were treated quite well, they looked happy and healthy to me. I said nothing about them "being killed properly" I just thought some herds or cattle were raised well, that's all... And as for chickens and pigs.. well I don't see many in my area, that's why when I mention "livestock" cows pop into my mind. I was refering more to cattle like I stated earlier.

tempura tantrum

Shiba Inu Slave
I'm a vegetarian also- the idea of eating meat disgusts me personally, although I'll never look down on anyone else's choice to do so. It is a personal choice- no matter what you are eating. While the idea of people eating dogs and cats repulses most of us, it probably wouldn't were we raised somewhere where this was normal.

D

dogluffer

id nevr in my whole life eat a dog thee reason people eat pets is for rituals or if they have nothing to eat...but i rather eat sumthing else besides dogs! id nevr eat my 2 dogs!

mia&co

Ive not looked at the links, as Id rather not, (its my bed time).
I find it very disturbing, I believe that dogs have a speacial place, as a companion for humans.
In my eyes its almost verging on cannibalism, then again, im not overly keen on the thought of killing any animal for food.
mia
x

mrose_s

BusterLove
AusCatDogs_4Ever said:
I said I was wrong.:( It's just where I live there are a lot of farms around here and the cattle have great big feilds to run around in, instead of being caged all their lives. And at the farm were Charlie was born, the owner visits the cows everyday, hand feeds them and even pets them... I thought they were treated quite well, they looked happy and healthy to me. I said nothing about them "being killed properly" I just thought some herds or cattle were raised well, that's all... And as for chickens and pigs.. well I don't see many in my area, that's why when I mention "livestock" cows pop into my mind. I was refering more to cattle like I stated earlier.
and your not wrong to think that. Most Cattle stations up here treat their cattle exceptionally well, because we have so much vacant soace int he NT you let a massive heard of cattle roam about 2000 Acres+ just because its easy. Its in places where there isnt room that this becomes problematic. But also, know that after a life of grazing in the feilds, these animals are moved, being stressed and scared into trucks, 11 to an area and i think about 6 areas in a truck. Sometimes cattle slip and are trampled to death, some cattle carters pull them up and keep them safe, others cut their legs off with an axe if the slip out of the side.
Then once the get where they are going (often 100's or 1000's of km away) they are unloaded and maybe shipped to asia where they are killed unfairly, or maybe they are killed in Australia and killed inhumanley. Someitmes their life is good, but no matter how good their life is initially, they dont deserve how it ends.

Members online

No members online now.