doing the right thing

Believe it or not, "little" Kharma is the real terror! Well, that's not completely true; Bimmer's the one who gives the "Go" order. The Collie sealed its fate not only by chasing the car, but one afternoon Bimmer went down to meet Charley when he heard Charley's truck turn up the drive. Bimmer got over the hill on the drive just about the time Charley got out of the truck to check the mail and the Collie ran across the road and tried to bite Charley! Bimmer took out after her and didn't stop until she was under her own house. I don't know what people have been doing to that Collie, because I've never seen one act so obnoxiously before. I've certainly never seen a Collie approach someone to bite!

Guess it goes right back to what we've been saying all along about the breed not being the problem: it's the people!

smkie said:
The bad thing Gaddy is they got him back!!! He has visited us twice today..this morning they were right behind him..but tonight he was solo in my carport. I asked aaron (who saw him by the car and gave him a good pet and its no wonder he likes it here) if he had his collar on but he couldn't remember, he thought so. The truth will be Monday when the man goes to work, cause wife hasnt even tried before..this should have a title like as the world turns... maybe as the dog roams? I got it, Return of the Artful Dodger!
IF i am approached by a dog while walking Vic we ignore it completely unless it forces it's way and can not be avoided. then I step one leg over Victor putting myself between the two dogs and I tell that dog to GO HOME firmly. If that doens't work, I will say it a lttle meaner and with a real business tone to my voice. I might lean a bit that way. Still with Vic between my legs..I do not want him to move a muscle and he is more than happy to comply. I try to think myself very tall and mean looking. Vic and I had this happen recently and it was a boy howdy big dog. That usually backs off most dogs, if there not getting that close I'd chuck a rock at it. Don't hit it, but get real close.There was a dog that hid when I was a kid riding my pony that would jump out and snap at the hindquarters of my pony. This usually ended me up on the pavement and one time knocked me out. AFter that I carried a good sack of throwing rocks when I had to go down that road, if I did hit the dog, i didn't permanantly hurt it, and I didn't get thrown anymore either.
That's crazy! Animal control gave him back?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Yesterday I opened the door to take the dogs out in the morning..and there she was. SHe had a choke chain on with the tag dangling. I put my dogs back in the bedroom and got my leash. I went out and called her, she came running with her tail wagging right into my arms. I said ok girl, lets go home..and she wouldn't budge in that direction for anything. I can't and won't pull her that way so i said let's go in the car. She was more than happy to oblidge..when i got to her house..i said come on darling and again..she wouldn't budge. I knocked on the door and the woman stood there with the collar I had given them in her hand..I told her i had her dog in the car, that the collar they had on her was very dangerous for her to be running around in, that she will not get out of my car, and I need to take my dogs out. I could not send this dog to the pound again..i just can't do that to her again, so the woman came out and the dog wouldn't even look at her. I got in the back seat, she stuck her head on my shoulder and leaned hard, while i rubbed her ear and told her I was so sorry but she had to get out she just groaned. The woman in the meantime is prattling on about how she chased her for an hour and a half earlier (considering it was 17 degrees and she looked quite warm to me i didn't believe it) and how Did I think they should give her back to the people that kept her chained all the time" What did I think they should do...maybe give her back?" It took all I had to keep from telling her right then that I think and am very suspiscious about why this dog doen's like her and why it doesn't want to go home"....I really needed to get my dogs out before Victor had an accident so i held my tongue until I could get home and think things thru. I had to carry the dog into her house. So what shoud I do?
I could go up there and offer my doggy help..see if I could find where the problem is..I just don't know what to do..she is such a nice dog, and she will eat my dogs alive..she wants to live with me and sits outside my front door when she gets out..If i knew someone that wanted her it would be different..I would have no problem at all placing her in a different home..and wouldn'g consider it an issue of right or wrong.
The no kill shelters have a waiting list of up to one year..and she cannot stay here. Oen for any suggestions.

We rescued one of our girls from neighbors. When one of the neighbors who had previously owned her came over, Tippy hid under the desk chair and wouldn't come out. I think that what you've said is evidence the dog is being abused. We know Tippy was.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Aw Smkie that is just heartbreaking. When a dog doesent want to go home and won't even look at their owner something is definatly up. The only dogs i have every seen refuse to look at their owners were the abused. But i can't make that judgement because i have never met this dog or these people but it sure does sound like a possibility.

Kinda like our neighbors. they're dog runs when ever it can and won't waana go home and comes over and pesters our dogs(surprisingly Cinco hasn't biiten him yet)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I guess as soon as I am over this virus i will go up there (during the day when the woman is alone) and talk to her..i at least have to try to see if I can understand what is going wrong. I think that should be the first step..in the meantime I am asking around and have called my friend that goes to the dog park everyday..she said she would ask around. I don't think going to the pound again would serve any purpose now and i can't think of a more terrifying place for a dog to be. The animal shelter here covers most of Kansas city, it is huge and they do the best they can with the funds that they have, but it is still reeking of fear. I smell it everytime i have had to go there.
She is such a lovely dog, with intelligent eyes, and when she groaned into my shoulder I wanted to take her back home at least to think about what to do in the car, but the woman was already there.

Smkie, it may not be those people that are the problem. I think you're on the right track thinking about going and talking to the woman while she's there during the day.

Chester, the black Lab mix that belongs to our good 'doggy' neighbor, Herbie, took a spell where he wanted to stay here all hte time. I had to take him home in the car at night. He was still young enough that I was afraid the coyotes would get him if I didn't. I knew Herbie wasn't doing anything awful to him, but he was just afraid. I talked to Herbie and found out that he didn't know what was going on with Chester either. Chester was happy to get in the car and go to work with him in the morning, but wouldn't get out of the car in the evening when they got home. Herbie had to pull him out and drag him in the house. I'd really been bothered when I picked up a stick to throw it for Chester and Shiva - just like I'd been doing since Herbie had first rescued Chester and brought him home - and Chester fell to the ground and cowered. Herbie and I got to thinking about it and the strange, fearful behaviour had started when some new people moved into the mobile home next to Herbie. They have two small inside dogs and one poor creature that stays tied outside. The poor thing even had a litter of pups shortly after they moved in. They got rid of them by selling them at a flea market! They're that kind . . . :mad:

So, it might be the same kind of situation with this dog. It might not be this woman who is doing something to the poor creature. And this just might be a chance for you to give her some guidance that will let her become a good dog owner. It's worth a shot anyway.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i will go up with your wise words in mind Renee..thank you for your insight. There was one dog at the kennels i could never connect with, tho i certainly tried everyday, the same way as all the others...in all 20 years she was the only dog that continued with her initial response. I met her with a shovel in my hand..and she bit me good in the calf as i exited her kennel, four deep bruised punctures that were in no way a warning bite. I tried for the 2 years i knew her and nothing ever changed..i thought i might bring up if they do not want her, but do not feel they can handle her longterm, that maybe they could put her on a waiting list for adoption.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I need some brain storming..i have taken the dog home 3 times last week and again today. I will not call the pound again..i have talked to the man of the house and found a tired, stressed, human being that really seems to care for the dog and doesn't know what to do. The children go out the door (there i think are two older boys about around 10 or so) and the artful dodger is a door buster. The man said "if i had her as a pup she wouldn't do this" and i imagine that is right...Renee thank you for giving me another perspective...i felt his care about the dog was genuine..so....How do you teach a very large, strong, healthy dog not to bust thru the door every chance she can get..i will take all ideas and go down and see if we can work together for the common good. I thought maybe an air horn and someone she doesn't know (can't be me cause i need her to come to me when i call so can take her home) i asked the big kids here and have a few volunteers..something that would make her hesitate to push her way thru..but there should be something better that wouldn't cause her fear....if you have an idea and let me know i have a council on her behalf.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
The saga goes on..sweet jesus....little boy about 8 going down road with Bronki's old red leash in his hand..my car won't start so i wait a bit or i would go get her. Then i see little boy walking dog..i go out ..say Hey look at you! Good for you! Go Gurl! What Fun! go back in to work. Look at again boy has made it to corner to his house when dog yanks leash from boy..he falls and i am not sure he isn't hurt so i go out dog runs to me...i show him a little leash work (the turning thing) show him to keep leash short (he is't hurt just muddy) and he is doing good..decide to walk them home when we hit corner and she yanks him off his feet. SHe comes to me..i try to walk her past corner and she bolts..so i pick up front half of dog hold her tight..ask her oh my gosh whats wrong...kisses..tell her it will be ok this time..i ask boy Does anyone yell at this dog when she come back in..he says my brothers are meant o her sometimes..kids never rat on their mothers's..brothers are too little to cause fear like this..i try to take three steps toward house and she tries to flee again. i stoop down and she lays on back showing me her belly..i rubbed her poor tum and her head and her neck and told boy

"can you tell them that she is just a little kid like you..that she is scared to come home and that is not what she should be..that this time you are all going to kiss her and not yell at her and tell her how much you love her?" he said yes he would..i picked this big dog up and starting carrying her home..talking with him everystep of the way.big dog...he said dogs just need love..i said kids too..dogs are just like little kids they need to know that they are still loved when they screw up..that yelling doen'st teach a dog anything but love does...omg..why me why me why me why her omg why her? Anybody got an answer for three little kids and a dog? Like Parenting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate this! He is a sweet child too. Makes me want to yank the hair from my head! Why does the world have to be like this for them? She has a name..it is onyx.....should be sorrow..cept sorrow floats

gapeach

Big Mutts
Maybe talk to them about fencing in yard? I'm about to cry just reading.If yard was fenced she couln't run off and maybe wouldn't yell at her? :(

Smkie, you may end up teaching a neighborhood obedience class.

There's probably a lot of stress in that house; kids drive Mom nuts, Mom yells at kids; kids go outside to get away, dog bolts, Mom/Dad yells, kids yell at dog, scared dog, scared kids, miserable family. Most people aren't really mean and nasty, just overwhelmed by life.

Like you need something else to take care of - [sigh]

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
ok..i am sitting on the chiase with vic and Mary..the space heater on us cause i'm jusg cold clear thru today..When the door flies open and onyx is standing in the living room..up spring vic and mary hackles growls chases out the front door..Vic is making a quick cirlce..onyx on his butt..mary closing in when i said INTHEHOUSEVICTOR and he did and they followed..i ran to Aaron's door and Vic ran in..onyx is back to groving that she made it it..and Mary is unsure..i tell Mary IN and she does so i shut them in Aaron's room. Onyx is wagging her tail and sooooo happy....good grief!!!! iThere was a different boy there...i had ordered him back..(forgot that part) because i didn't want him in the middle of a dog fight..so i told him to go get me a grown up and a leash. I am not carrying that dog home again..and I WANT TO TALK TO A GROWNUP..so i get brother instead of man of the house. I asked him to come in and sit down..told him a bit of what happened..said i really want to talk to man of the house and if he would come down maybe we can problem solve. Good thing...the dogs didn't fight..given 2 more minutes outside it might have come to that and i am sure Victor's skin is about as thick as a rabbit's..it is tight like a greyhound's too, about the same coat..no protection what so ever..mary minds me so i am not worried about her..if I call her out..she will out. Now wasn't that a pleasant thing to have happen when your sitting there reading a book on a Sat afternoon? My heart stopped beating hard about 5 minutes ago. i did notice that he didn't have to carry her around the corner..she was in a fine mood. She had fun!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i am really open for suggestions here folks..... I am serious...what would U do?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
nobody? surely someone has an idea? i can't have her coming thru the front door with force! We now have to lock the front door when anybody comes in!

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Oh dear seems like it's all happening to you at the mo! It's obvious that these dogs see you as a friendly face and some sort of refuge! Gus would go mad if another dog came into his house too! Don't know what to suggest really!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i think they are actually getting use to each other..mary didn't walk around with her hackles up for an hour after..and i think if they really wanted to hurt each other they could have..lots of threats tho..and chasing and growling and teeth showing..scared me. I mean whoomp and she was in the living room! she is bigger than mary and young too.

Ah, Smkie, I wish I had an answer on the top of my head! This is a tough one, for sure.

That dog really needs a fence! The 12' fence panels you can get at farm supplies are pretty cheap, sturdy, and don't need tools or a terrible amount of work to put up. Maybe they could fence in their backyard that way. That would work even if it is a rental house, as the fence is also easy to take down.

Members online

No members online now.