Do you live in a dog friendly area?

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
An offshoot of the faker thread (please don't drag service dogs into this one!), I saw a few posts mentioning certain areas were either dog friendly or not. Kent is reasonably dog friendly, they welcome dogs in the bank, outdoor patios of a couple restaurants, a little outdoorsy store that doubles as an ice cream shop, and I believe the hardware store. Is where you live dog friendly?

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
It's not dog friendly in terms of dog parks, activities, etc... but a few store owners let me bring Cali in. I think it has a lot to do with the facts that a) she's five pounds and we carry her and b) we've been going to these stores for over a decade now... but they're never had a problem with Cali and a lot of the other customers adore her and her behaviour is complimented frequently.

I'm so excited to move to a city though, with dog parks and regular training classes though. For now, we'll have to stick with run down hiking trails and seasonal training classes.

ETA: Probably the most dog friendly place we've been is a couple hours away, minus one store (where I was politely asked to leave even though Cali was in my arms), Cali was allowed everywhere and even came whale watching with us. She ended up keeping a very outgoing and adventurous four year old girl entertained for a whole two and a half hours before we headed home.

Flyinsbt

Portland is a pretty dog friendly town. Most, if not all, of the restaurants with outdoor patios allow dogs on them. Some businesses do, it's kind of hit and miss. I've taken dogs into auto repair type places. I don't know about banks, I guess I wouldn't try it, so I don't actually know if it's a rule or not. :lol-sign:

Dogs are really popular in this town, most people you encounter like dogs. I think outdoor activities are particularly popular in the area, and dogs are fun for those, so people like dogs, too.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Nope. It's a college town so really there's not much in term of dogs stuff, and I can't think of a single store that I know allows dogs.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Nope, not at all here. I mean, there are tons of dogs walking around the public parks and stuff, but the only stores they are allowed in are pet stores really. I DID have Auggie with me once when I had to go to my chiropractor, and I walked in with him in my arms (my mom was there too, they make our appointments back to back) and asked if he could come in and she could hold him during my appointment. The office manager is my chiro's wife and she was like "OMG YES COME IN. I WANT TO HOLD HIM. CAN I HOLD HIM??" They apparently have one client who always brings her dog and she always sits up front with the office manager while her owner is having her chiro work done hahaha. So Auggie hung out with my chiropractor's wife. XD
And of course Auggie was welcome to be smuggled under my desk at the radio station. Nobody brought their dogs on a regular basis but the odd time or two was no big deal.

There is a single bank in town that uses the fact that they allow dogs to come into the bank as a marketing tool, LOL. My old bank used to have dog biscuits they would give out if you came through the drive-thru with your dog in the car, just like suckers for kids... in fact I think they still do... but the employees who work there now are all rude and don't even give suckers to kids, so. That's why it's my OLD bank. =P
I went to a Taco Bell in another city with Auggie in the car (we were at an agility trial) and the guy at the window asked me if Auggie would like a treat, and he gave me a Milkbone for him. I was so thrilled I was still eating my foo d as I sat in my hotel room and wrote Taco Bell a letter about how cool I thought that was LOL.
Oh, there is a local ice cream place where you can get a "pup cup" and your dogs can be outside with you, but that's about it.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
I don't live in town (about a 10 minute drive) so I can't really attest to how dog friendly this area is as far as welcoming dogs on patios and in stores as I'm rarely in town on foot long enough to walk around, have a meal, etc. I know one ice cream place offers doggy icecreams in the summer and there are a couple of coffee shops with outdoor tables that I frequently see dogs and their owners at, but that's all that comes to mind. I see lots of dogs being tied up outside. The bank or any retail stores (apart from pet stores) definitely don't allow dogs inside. There is a dog park but it's tiny and in a weird kind of remote location.

This general area is a good dog place though. Many many hiking trails. Most say dogs have to be on leash, but a couple say does must be on leash OR "under control" at all times so that's nice! Lots of agility trainers, a herding trainer, and a wonderful obedience trainer too :) I was disappointed at the thought of moving but the place we're ending up moving to is quite doggy as well. It has an awesome gravel pit, conservation area, my herding trainer is 5 mins one way and a big dog sports facility (which hosts lessons, trials, and clinics) 5 minutes the other way.

Brattina88

An offshoot of the faker thread (please don't drag service dogs into this one!), I saw a few posts mentioning certain areas were either dog friendly or not. Kent is reasonably dog friendly, they welcome dogs in the bank, outdoor patios of a couple restaurants, a little outdoorsy store that doubles as an ice cream shop, and I believe the hardware store. Is where you live dog friendly?
Not in the bank, but they give biscuits at the window when you drive up. But everything else, yes, if you know the right places. And if your dog is well behaved ;) No awards here, but I'd say its good enough!

Not at all.

I can't bring dogs into hardware stores, they aren't allowed offleash anywhere except a dog park and long lines are illegal (6 foot leash or under). They are pretty much not really welcome anywhere. We also have a very strict amount of animals you can own (2).

The biggest pet friendly thing we have is my one forest preserve dog park.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Not really, sadly. Not allowed in most stores. Not allowed off leash most places. And not a very dog sport oriented place. Also sadly.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Not as bad as some areas but certainly not what I would considering dog-friendly either. If you are allowed anywhere it's pretty much only on leash (though there are several places where they look the other way as long as you have your dog well in hand). Other than petstores, none allow pets. Outdoor seating in restaurants is often a no as well (though to be honest there's not that much outdoor restaurant seating anyway). Public transportation -- forget it.

We do have a lot of dog sports and such but I considering that somewhat separate. In term of the general public's integration of dogs into society...no. Just no. Around here, pets are for leaving at home or maybe taking on a walk around the block.

JacksonsMom

Yup. Especially Annapolis area, but surrounding too. Pretty much all stores in downtown (clothing and all) allow dogs inside. All restaurants have outdoor patio seating where they're allowed. All the local Lowe's, Home Depot's, etc are all pet friendly, as far as I know, they've never questioned me. Lots of pet stores, boutiques, grooming places, parks, etc. Banks all give out doggy biscuits. He's been with me to a few different car places - car wash allows him in while I pay, then we go sit outside and wait for my car to be done, mechanics let him inside while they rotate my tires, change oil, etc. I think maybe because we're by lots of water - we have a lot of outdoor restaurants, lots of people bring their dogs on their boat, etc.

MD actually made a 'law' about it not too long ago.. http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=156846

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Yup. Especially Annapolis area, but surrounding too. Pretty much all stores in downtown (clothing and all) allow dogs inside. All restaurants have outdoor patio seating where they're allowed. All the local Lowe's, Home Depot's, etc are all pet friendly, as far as I know, they've never questioned me. Lots of pet stores, boutiques, grooming places, parks, etc. Banks all give out doggy biscuits. He's been with me to a few different car places - car wash allows him in while I pay, then we go sit outside and wait for my car to be done, mechanics let him inside while they rotate my tires, change oil, etc. I think maybe because we're by lots of water - we have a lot of outdoor restaurants, lots of people bring their dogs on their boat, etc.

MD actually made a 'law' about it not too long ago.. http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=156846
I've suddenly decided I'm moving to Maryland :p

JacksonsMom

I've suddenly decided I'm moving to Maryland :p
DO IT! lol.

I actually was so ready to get out of MD for a while, but I realize I don't take advantage of a lot of the things it has to offer! We're so close to the Inner Harbor in Baltimore, DC, Annapolis, etc. I don't go nearly often enough! I still have yet to take Jackson to the Inner Harbor OR DC (both on my list of things to do this summer!)

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Nope.

Pet stores and dog park, really the only places dogs are allowed. The banks give out dog biscuits at the drive through, which Juno thinks is the coolest thing ever (cue drool), but it's not like I could bring her IN the bank. There really just aren't options for things to do with them or places to bring them. Unless I am totally misinformed.

We ignore leash laws, but one of our favorite places to go, people complain a lot about dogs being off leash (it's right outside the dog park so it attracts the dog crowd even though it's not part of the off-leash park) so it's not uncommon for police to crack down on that spot. Which sucks.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
This general area is a good dog place though. Many many hiking trails. Most say dogs have to be on leash, but a couple say does must be on leash OR "under control" at all times so that's nice! Lots of agility trainers, a herding trainer, and a wonderful obedience trainer too :) I was disappointed at the thought of moving but the place we're ending up moving to is quite doggy as well. It has an awesome gravel pit, conservation area, my herding trainer is 5 mins one way and a big dog sports facility (which hosts lessons, trials, and clinics) 5 minutes the other way.
Can I move where you are? Haha.

Uhm, I live sort of in the country, but not really, but Kalamazoo really isn't very dog friendly from what I know. If I didn't have private land available, or know of some local parks and go to a lot of hiking trails, my dogs would be screwed. Thankfully we are SUPER close to the Kal-Haven Trail, so we frequent there a lot.

Fort Collins was pretty dog friendly. A few restaurants had "Dog Ice Cream" and would let you sit with the dog on the patio. Plus a lot of great hiking in the mountains.

DJEtzel

Basically what Meagan said.

Not any special stores/restaurants that allow dogs, but we do have a bit of sport in the area, and the premier! Which is nice for competitors, but doesn't do much for most people. At least there's no BSL, we can have a few dogs in the city, and animal control isn't up everyone's butt about leash laws in private parks. :)

Could be better, but could be much worse.

Members online