Siberian Husky Advice / Training

vinny

Anyone know of a structured plan to train a Husky for endurance / stamina?

My Husky is 6 months next week, and I'm trying to find good sources for when I start training in a few months time.

Any advice welcome.

vinny

Thanks Micksmom,

We do alot of that sort of thing, chasing balls and toys it's alot of fuin for both of us, but I was hoping to get some advice for when she reaches her adult size in 2-3 months and training won't harm her little joints and muscles.

I'm really looking for some professional advice on how to train her, for example should I weight a doggy backpack and cycle with her, or perhaps attach a weight like a log to her harness and let her pull that along, and if so how much weight is a good amount without overtaxing her body, is there a bodyweight percentage she should start with and move up in weight every two weeks.

Should the exercise with weights make for shorter walks, how many days rest should she get between sessions.

There really is a lot I don't know about it, although I have a general idea on how too do it, I would prefer having some knowledge to draw on, so I don't risk injury to the dog.

I know she won't be ready for training for at least 2-3 months, but I do want to be prepared and properly educated before I start.

Thanks again

MicksMom

Thanks Micksmom,

We do alot of that sort of thing, chasing balls and toys it's alot of fuin for both of us, but I was hoping to get some advice for when she reaches her adult size in 2-3 months and training won't harm her little joints and muscles.

I'm really looking for some professional advice on how to train her, for example should I weight a doggy backpack and cycle with her, or perhaps attach a weight like a log to her harness and let her pull that along, and if so how much weight is a good amount without overtaxing her body, is there a bodyweight percentage she should start with and move up in weight every two weeks.

Should the exercise with weights make for shorter walks, how many days rest should she get between sessions.

There really is a lot I don't know about it, although I have a general idea on how too do it, I would prefer having some knowledge to draw on, so I don't risk injury to the dog.

I know she won't be ready for training for at least 2-3 months, but I do want to be prepared and properly educated before I start.

Thanks again
What are you training for? Just curious. All those things you mentioned- weights, cycling, etc, should really wait until she's at least a year old. And, even then, just in little bits/low weights (joints are still growing at that age). She really won't be mature until she's 2 (that's why the OFA won't certify hips before the age of 2). At 6 months, you could get her used to a pack. I'd start out with nothing in it for a few walks. Then maybe put something like a can of soup on each side to get her used to something being in there. I think, ideally, the recommended weight for a dog to carry is 1/3of their body weight. But that's for an adult dog- not a puppy who is adult size (did that make sense?).

Funny you mentioned pulling a log- I was thinking of that, too. Do you have a harness made for pulling? That's what you'd want to use when you get to that point. At her age, you could probably let her pull something like a garden tractor tire around for a few minutes. It will get her used to pulling something, but I think they're light enough that they shouldn't strain her. Personally, tho, I'd start out letting her drag something with almost no weight- again, just so she gets used to having something following her.

vinny

Great reply thank you.

I was told somewhere, awhile ago... or maybe I read it somewhere, that Sibe's can start to do minor weight training at 8 months, and by 16 months it will be conditioned enough to pull a bike or scooter.

Yeah you guessed it, I'm going to try my hand at dry land mushing for a couple of years, I've always been in love with dogs, especially huskies and especially mushing sports. I don't really care if we win or collect the red lantern, it just looks like the most fun thing in the world to do.

I'm already a member of a husky club in Ireland <- where I am, and been getting the same advice about what not to do, and I have no intention of trying to get to an early start, these formative months / years are crucial to successful mushing years. I only have to wait another (what I thought was 2-3 months) maybe longer if what you said is true about the maturing age of the breed.

I don't have a pulling harness yet, I thought it a bit soon to even think about it, but I do have a walking harness and she is quite comfortable in that, again not wanting to lame the dog before she ever even runs.

I picked up a pack today, and it's a little big on her lol, so it's going into to storage for another few months, but maybe I'll try getting her used to it over time, just for a few minutes a day.

Thanks for your help

Members online

No members online now.