Desensitizing Dog to alarms

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
So last night my carbon monoxide alarm went off because it was low on batteries. So no emergency but Mia hid under the furniture and would NOT come out.

Which has me scared that if a real emergency happened and an alarm went off that I would not be able to get her. She's so tiny she can wedge herself way up under furniture.

What should I do? The alarm is very high pitched, I am sure it hurts their ears. Summer stayed on the bed and shook terribly but didn't hide.

BostonBanker

Will it still function if removed from the ceiling? I know ours do, but I don't know if all are built like that. If I does, I wonder if you can wrap it in a heavy blanket and use the "test" button to make it a more muted sound. Maybe even make the sound a cue that means "run into your crate" or "run to the front door", so that when it goes off, it cues them to go to that location? I've thought about teaching mine to run to the front door on the smoke detector sound, but have just never put the time in.

CO detectors have a horribly loud noise, and I fear for the same thing as you. Ours plugs in and makes the noise every time we plug it in so I used that, unplugged it, plugged it and treated for calm dogs, and repeat. They are still freaked out but they don't hide now.

CO detectors should not be mounted on the ceiling, this explains why:
http://www.carbonmonoxidedetectorplacement.com

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yeah our detector is on the floor.

I'm going to try treating her for it. I need to run down the battery to get that random ping noise. It wasn't even in the same room as her and she ran and hid. Poor thing. I'm just so worried she'd hide and I wouldn't be able to get her out of the house in time.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Personally I think I would approach it from a different angle - make the sound a cue that she should run to the door. Maybe run to the door and lie down. Maybe record it on your phone or something and then turn the volume waaaaay down and start with it quieter, teach the behaviour, and then start turning the volume up and making it louder after she knows the expected response.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
That is a really good idea to record it then play it back for her and gradually increase the volume! Thanks!

JacksonsMom

Jackson does this too. :( He's still paranoid if the kitchen gets smoky, I always try to shut it off if it does so we can avoid it. Beanie's advice is good.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I taught the smoke alarm as an emergency recall. Lots of reps of alarm = awesome rewards and now when we test the dogs all come find me. :)

Members online

No members online now.