Tripe

Giny

I've been cooking for the dogs for almost a month now and thought I jump too raw. Bought some tripe today and gave some to the dogs, I want it mainly for their digestive enzymes, and Boomer and Kassie have turned their noses to it. They really don't like it, but Tilly loved it.

If I was to cook it, will it remove the enzymes that I want? I'm thinking they may like it better cooked.

I even put it through the food processor in hopes that I could mush it up and mix it with the meat but they still wont touch it.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Did you buy green tripe? Hard to come by in a grocery store. Usually blanched tripe is sold which already is lacking the nutrients you want.

Giny

Yeah, they are the grocery store ones, well darn.

They had two types, one was(I think) from the stomach and the other was the intestines. I got the intestine ones.

So I suppose it doesn't really matter as to whether I cook it or not.

Where do you get the green ones? Direct from a slaughter house?

Dekka

Just try me..
you can buy canned tripe called trippett.. real tripe smells like cow poo, and is dark green and isnt' easy to find.

yeah, the store bought stuff is not very beneficial like green tripe. But green tripe is hard to find. Usually have to order it. Most butchers that do their own slaughtering can't sell it because it's so hard to get usda certification to sell to humans too. so they just dont' bother.

Giny

I suppose that means that I'll order the digestive enzyme through capsule form then.

Thank you for the info, guys!

And I think I'll keep cooking, they aren't too keen on beef liver either. Tilly is though, maybe the big batch of raw food will be all her's then. lol

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
THere are a number of brands of canned green tripe, available wherever superpremium pet foods are sold :). There are several places in the washington metro that sell frozen raw green tripe . . . I'd call around. There are probably stores in the larger cities in ME that carry it.

sammgirl

ACoops favorite
I'm all about Solid Gold Green Cow. Just google it, and you can order it. It smells like ...you know, there is no word for how bad it smells, but you learn to deal with it.

;)

Bailey08

I agree with the others. I'd stick with Tripett. :) At any rate, you do not want to cook raw green tripe -- eek!

Bailey doesn't like liver, either. I have to mix it in well.

How's cooking going otherwise?

I'm all about Solid Gold Green Cow. Just google it, and you can order it. It smells like ...you know, there is no word for how bad it smells, but you learn to deal with it.

;)
I have heard the Green Cow really stinks when you open the can, but everyone I have talked to says their dogs absolutly LOVE it.

sammgirl

ACoops favorite
Oh, it's foul. No doubt about that. But, if you have a dog that is having a poor appetite or a bitch getting ready to whelp, there's nothing better.

Dogs LOVE it. Probably because it smells so repulsive.

It's also great for growing puppies, although you don't need to give them very much. It's very, very rich stuff.

Giny

I agree with the others. I'd stick with Tripett. :) At any rate, you do not want to cook raw green tripe -- eek!

Bailey doesn't like liver, either. I have to mix it in well.

How's cooking going otherwise?
It's going well, the dogs are loving it. I think I'm going to stick with cooking for now since not all dogs are crazy for raw. With Kassie I also have some pro biotic capsules called Proviable-DC that I got from my vet and it seems to help her.

As for the Solid Gold Green Cow, I saw that they sell it at Petco. I'll have to go check them out.

It's going well, the dogs are loving it. I think I'm going to stick with cooking for now since not all dogs are crazy for raw. With Kassie I also have some pro biotic capsules called Proviable-DC that I got from my vet and it seems to help her.

As for the Solid Gold Green Cow, I saw that they sell it at Petco. I'll have to go check them out.
Dang! all we have is a petsmart around here. I would like to try the green cow with some of our picky eaters.

DanL

I give my crew a can of that once a week mixed with some Evo red meat. I swear, its like pizza night for kids!

I give my crew a can of that once a week mixed with some Evo red meat. I swear, its like pizza night for kids!
LOL! I checked it out on the Solid Gold site, and I think if I remember correctly, shipping and all I could order six cans for like $24 or something. I'm thinking hard on ordering some. The smell though....hmmmmmm thats a thaught too!

Argon has had green tripe a grand total of once. He thought it was the most delicious thing he had ever smelled, so delicious in fact that he had to roll in it before consuming. I happened to be in the bathroom during this time, and didn't figure out until I went into the kitchen. The scened that greeted me was horrendous. Argon was covered in dark green splotches, and smelled like, well, I guess I don't need to tell you guys what he smelled like! It took three baths to get him fresh, and I vowed that tripe would never enter the hosue again. :lol-sign:

Bailey08

Argon has had green tripe a grand total of once. He thought it was the most delicious thing he had ever smelled, so delicious in fact that he had to roll in it before consuming. I happened to be in the bathroom during this time, and didn't figure out until I went into the kitchen. The scened that greeted me was horrendous. Argon was covered in dark green splotches, and smelled like, well, I guess I don't need to tell you guys what he smelled like! It took three baths to get him fresh, and I vowed that tripe would never enter the hosue again. :lol-sign:
That is hilarious! Would be horrifying at the time, though!

Members online

No members online now.