Yay for Leave It!

Well, today was the first day I used leave it out of necessity with Traveler.

I've been just using it when training/or able to stop him from getting whatever I had told him to leave alone and he's doing great. I say leave it and his head whips around to look at me and he won't go near what he was told to leave. I've used mainly food but was upping it to toys lately.

Well, today I was out playing with him in the yard with the Flying Squirrel and the wind took it and the Frisbee landed on a yellow jacket nest we haven't gotten rid of and there was Traveler running full steam ahead and fully in drive to it. I yelled out "LEAVE IT" and he skidded to a halt immediately and whipped his head around to look at me and then stayed there until I ran up and got it off of the nest. I made a HUGE deal out of it and threw the Frisbee as fast as I could after for a reward and he seemed happy enough with that

Thank god for a smart dog

Doberluv

Fantastic! There was a real-life situation where that "leave it" reeeeeeeeelly came in handy. Well done!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Leave it and stop are my two most used cues. Glad your dog got it down pat. You sure saved Traveler a whole lot of misery.

Thank guys! I was so happy he listened and that I've been ultra careful with that command.

I haven't had to use Here yet in any situation when it really mattered but I'm hoping it's going to hold up because it's only ever been used with lots and lots of reward and fun at the other end and even when he's going the other direction he will stop and come to me then.

Only reason it's not ruined is because my family still thinks "come" is the command :D

Members online

No members online now.