puppy won't play with me

janette

I have a nine week old puppy I got a week ago. He doesn't seem to want to have much to do with anyone in the family. When we pet him he moves, he doesn't wag his tail or come when we call him and he won't play with us.
Also, he doesn't like us to hold him. He seems to like playing with our other dog though. I am worried that he won't bond with us.

L

Lyka_01

I think your pet is aloof to human...
anyway he need a more exposure and training...
just always expose him to people until he used to it...

621mum

Make yourself as "attractive" as possible so he learns to associate the family with good things. Go near to him and call his name and if he even looks at you, praise him exuberantly give him a small reward... keep doing that and increasing the distance so he associates coming to you with joy. Also, try getting some special toys that he only gets to play with if he is playing with one of you and the other dog is out of the room. Again, the goal is to make you seem wonderful and special and just as great as another dog :) Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
What kind of puppy is it? He might just be too interested in all the new things right now and wanting to explore, or, depending on where you got him from, he's not very socialized with humans and it'll take him a while to warm up to you. Don't worry about it though, because he'll pick up on that and it'll take longer. Just keep to a good routine and don't try to force the issue just yet.

lizzybeth727

Make sure, too, that he sees that all good things come from you. Feed him meals throughout the day, don't just leave his food bowl full and let him eat whenever he wants. Keep all but one or two of his toys picked up, and when he seems bored give him a new one. Don't try to pet him or give him attention unless he seems like he really wants it, otherwise it won't be as valuable to him.

bubbatd

Where did you get him ??? Puppies aren't automatically people oriented unless socialized from day one .

Try hand-feeding your pup throughout the day so he looks to you for his needs. He is very young and most pups want to be with you unless they have been secluded or had a lack of socialization. If he were mine, I'd let the vet check him out for any health problems like heart, lungs, etc. Perhaps he is not feeling well. Good luck, and I hope your baby feels like playing soon.

lizzybeth727

A lot of cuddling in a kind way and when he is really tired let him fall asleep on you.
If he doesn't like to be petted or held, this will actually be punishing for him and make him like you even less. If it is stressful for him, he will probably never fall asleep on you until he learns to relax around you.

Members online

No members online now.