Hi from Dobedon

Dobedon

This is my first dog forum. I've used car forums because I'm also a car buff. But, since having back surgery a couple of years ago, I've had some life changes--one of them losing my best friend of 12 years around the same time as my surgery--and now I'm more involved with my (new) dogs and hardly spend any time with my cars, it seems.

A little history: I currently have two Dobermans. Both are rescue dobies and I now dedicate most of my Saturdays to the rescue because I've learned that giving these unwanted dogs love is extremely rewarding.

My dobies aren't my first. Prior to these two, I had a German Shepherd. But, before him was my first Doberman and probably the best friend of all my best friends. (This isn't because my German Shepherd was less of a dog; in fact, he was tops. But this is because of how my first Doberman came into my life--which is too much to explain in a simple introduction post. :popcorn:)

I learned about dog training from books originally because I never had a dog until I got married; my mother hated them and I was taught to fear them--especially big ones. So, when I got married, naturally, we a German Shepherd. (Unfortunately, this was a puppy mill lesson and I ended up giving him away.)

So, after learning that lesson, I told my wife that I wanted a Doberman Pinscher and she quickly declared, "Over my dead body!" Then, after cleverly taking her to see puppies, we took Prince home. (And about a year later, I got stationed in Alaska and had to leave him with her. When I returned home, while driving from the terminal to the house and seeing his head on her shoulder, I had to ask: Whose dead body?)

Sadly, when he was ten, he succumbed to Wobblers Syndrome; so I spent several months trying to do the impossible--replace the best dog in the world! Now, not being used to locking my doors, and having since worked with military K-9s (I'm retired Air Force.), I decided that it was time to change breeds.

Jaws, my second shepherd, was special indeed. Not only did he have a police dog pedigree, but he grew up with my son and, with the help of the base kennel master, he was trained to military standards prior to my retiring.

But, at the age of 12, his hips got too bad and he told me it was time to go be with Prince. Like I said earlier (and obviously I forgot that I wasn't going to tell the whole story :popcorn:), I was just getting over back surgery and couldn't face the thought of bending down to raise another puppy. Yet, my son was now wearing Jaws' collar around his neck and I kept thinking I was hearing my buddie coming down the hall.

Thus, the rescue entered my life.

I promise not to overwhelm you with TMI now--if I haven't already--but a few months after saying goodbye to Jaws, we got Daytona. A year after we got him, I called to thank the rescue and I learned that one of the rescue workers had recently past away; so I offered to come over and help whenever I could.

Now I go over there and fall in love with a new dog every weekend. Last October, I took another one home; her name is Mia. (I always had male dogs and always preferred black Dobies; she changed all that with her beautiful eyes that melted my heart.)

Okay, nuf, is enuf... I'm sorry. (I just realized that I need to update my hobby profile; I love to write--perhaps too much so.)

Anyway, that's pretty much my dog history. I love dogs and hope to someday find a way to make a living from working with them.

Oh! I almost forgot the real reason I joined. At the rescue, I've been working with one female Dobe--who seems to have a little Rottie in her, based on her face--who just won't stop jumping on people. It's so bad that, even though I've taught her lots of obedience, the rescue is having a hard time placing her; so she may have to be put down.

I'm hoping that I can get some tips on how to stop jumping. The rational old school ways don't seem to faze her (i.e., holding her paws, placing one knee up to block her, alpha blocking her with a hip, etc...). No matter what, when a visitor meets her, she just goes ballistic; she can jump straight in the air higher than my head--and she does!

Until her, I thought I was a pretty good dog trainer. I've caught military police dogs for God's sake...:rolleyes: But she has me baffled. I'd love some tips from others if anyone has any.

Oh... Why did I pick this forum over the others? The Chazhound icon.... :)

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Welcome to chazhound! I hope to see some pics of those dobies of yours :)

You can post in the "training forum" for tips to stop the rescue dogs jumping :) Good luck!!

Maxy24

Hi and welcome! there are quite a few dobe owners here. I second posting in the training forum where the jumping problem will get more attention, but I will tell you what I can. We don't really support using the methods of kneeing in the chest and all that (or at least I don't) as they usually won't permanently train the idea, they will just not jump around the person who usually does it and may even fear you a little. Some dogs won't respond at all because jumping up is so rewarding for them the pain you give is not bad enough to overcome the joy of jumping. What you need him to learn is that not jumping up is soooo much better than jumping up. For this you need lots of yummy treats (cut up hot dog works well).
There are two ways to do this and it depends on what works. If this dog knows sit than as soon as he comes over to you order him to sit. If he does, kneel down and give him treats and lots of praise, but do not make the praise overly lively as he will get up. The moment he stands up you stop talking or smiling stand up and turn your back to the dog, then again order him to sit. If he does, repeat the praise above (give lots of treats) and once again when he stands up turn around, don't yell or say no just turn away from him and tell him sit. Do this over and over until he does not get up when you are praising. Then give him lots of treats and lots of attention, let him lick your face a little that's why he was jumping up on you in the first place, then maybe take him for a walk to burn off that extra energy. You'll have to do this a few times a day, or at least try to. Don't be discouraged if he is back to square one when you come back ladder just repeat the steps. If one day you come in and he is sitting and REMAINS sitting or comes up to you and sits, then you have a MAJOR break through and he should get lots of treats (but still get up if he does and turn around)

Now if the dog totally disregards your sit command when he is all excited like that than don't bother on the sit right now just have him not jump. When you go see him and he starts to jump say "off" and turn against a wall (so your face faces the wall and your back faces the dog.) If he jumps on your back just stay there (may want to tuck your butt in so he has less to hold on to) and as soon as he stops turn around and go give him the treat. Chances are he will jump on you as soon as you turn around so even if you have not given him the treat you must say "off" and immediately turn back to the wall do this over and over again until you can fully praise him after you turn back to look at him without being jumped on (remember to kneel down when you praise so he still gets some of the face contact he was looking for), it is also VERY important that you say "off" every time he jumps, right before you turn around. This is because he is not yet sitting instead of jumping so you will need "off" as your main defense. After a few days (or if this dog is clever) Just a day and a little review the next morning he will learn that when you say "off" and he gets all of his paws on the floor that he gets yummy stuff and lots of attention, so as soon as he starts to jump you should be able to say "off" and have him stop jumping (this will take longer for some dogs). If it does not work just turn around again and continue what you were doing before. If it does work give lots of treats and praise (you may want to even upgrade the treats to hot dog wrapped in cheese or something like that) Oh, and don't show him the treat before he does the wanted action always show it to him when you are giving it to him and not before as a sort of bribe, because then he will only do it if he KNOWS you have the treat instead of hoping you do and doing it on the chance that you will. If the "off" was enough to stop him, this is where you can start working in the sit. Once you tell him "off" and he stops jumping, praise him with a treat (but not the cheese wrapped hot dog, just the regular hot dog piece) then once your finished praising, tell him to sit, than when he does give him the cheesy hot dog slice and kneel down for lots of praise. Eventually you can phase out giving the treat after you say "off" (still tell him "good boy" but that's about it) and only give the treat and lots of praise after you tell him to sit. If you walk in and he is not jumping you should still have him sit before you praise him. If one day you walk in and hi is SITTING or walk up to you and sits be VERY happy, this is where you want to be. Once he does this a few times with you start having others come and greet him, if he jumps on them say "off" and he should get off and sit if he does not get off both of you should leave right away. In two minutes you come back alone and try a few more warm ups until he does not jump than bring the other worker back. If when you say "off" he gets off but does not sit you must ask him to sit before he gets the praise. The next scenario is you two come in and he does jump but as soon as you say "off" he sits. Both you and the other person should give treats and praise. Now the ultimate scenario would be both of you come in and he sits without being told, Tons of praise is in order for that (and really yummy treats). Do this with a few different people and once you either get to the point where he sits without being told or stops jumping and sits when you say "off" (some dogs never do the first one so a perfect "off" is the best) you have reached your goal. Do not think you are off the hook, he still needs maintenance training until he is adopted to make sure he does not forget his learning, always give him at least a "good boy" later on when he dos not jump on you, and every once and a while toss him a yummy treat so he know he is still doing the right thing. You may want to tell his new owners about his former jumping problem and the "off" command.

(In the first paragraph where I tell you to make him sit right off the bat, you still need to apply the part where you introduce the other workers, all the way to the end of the second paragraph.) Good Luck, and sorry about my obnoxiously long post, but I hope it helped!

Barb04

Super Moderator
Welcome! I so enjoyed reading your background with the dogs you've owned. I know you're going to enjoy being here as we will enjoy having you.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Welcome to Chazhound!

That was probably the longest and best intro! Thank you for opening up so much on your first post! :D

I also suggest posting your training need in the training section, we have a wonderful group of trainers who do their best to offer their support and expertise.

Kudos to you for rescuing! Those are two lucky dogs! :)

Hi...welcome to Chaz!!! Thanks for the info...I agree with Buddy's Parent's that it's nice to get background on new members. I think it's great that you're doing so much work to help Dobie's...they're spectacular dogs!!!! You'll get lot's of info on this forum from a many knowledgable people. It's so nice to have you here!:)

Members online