Puppy Pee Pad Training

I just brought home my mini schnauzer this past weekend. He's 8 weeks old going on 9 weeks, and doggy door trained. I am trying to train him to go indoors using doggy pee pads. I would post this thread in Training but figure there is more traffic in this forum. I live in a loft and don't have a yard. We have a common area outside on the property where everyone takes their dogs to. I don't want to take him outside yet to do his business until he gets all his shots or at least his second set of shots. There are other dogs in the building that take care of their business outside in that common area so I don't want the little guy to catch anything or expose him to any strange dogs. So in the meantime, I want to train him to use the pee pads for his potty needs. The trouble I am having is that I am afraid he might think the pee pads are blankets! He tends to sit there or lay down on the pee pads when I put him there after he wakes up from his naps. Then, he'll run off all and start looking around for a spot to go. And he goes everywhere but the pee pads. I'll clap my hands and say NO when I see him in the act and he'll get startled and stop. Then, I put him on the pad and he goes. Of course, I praise him afterwards. But I am wondering if these pee pads are a good idea or if I should just use newpapers. He's just been with us a couple of days so I'm sure it'll take time. Anyone use these pee pads to train their pups? Any advice or suggestion is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Pickleweed :confused:

Kittypup

Cool, Someone who got a small dog a few days ago like my self. And is having the same problem. :)
They say its good to use "Nature's Miracle"
Even on your hard floors. Because it kills all of the smell that soap water don't pick up. Other wise the dog will keep going on the same spot. It has been working for me so far. :D I just clean the poop and pee. Spay the
floor and let it dry on the floor. Once I get past this point I can just
mop the floors. I can't wait. :p

I can only get my Pug puppy to go on the papers half of the time. Also get the smelly stuff you can put on the pads.
The dog will smell the product and know where to go. Its called "Wee wee, puppy housebreaking aid" It comes in a dropper bottle or a spray bottle. It really does work. The puppy has been using the pad 40% more then he use to with out it. Hes only using the pad 50% of the time. That's kinda my problem right now. Theres also a tray that I got for him. The tray pins down the pad so the dog can't play with it. You can get those at the bigger Pet stores. Maybe you will have more luck then I'm having. If you find any new, news please let me know. I need the help too on this topic. :D

Oh, Do you have a crate for him? 75% of people I talk to say that crate training is the best way to go. I'm not to happy with the idea. But if I can get him past this stage I know I will not have to use it anymore. :)

Hiya Kittypup!

Thanks for your reply! I am going to look for that spray at the pet store sometime this week and try that out with the pee pads and see how that goes. Actually, I am not crate training him because I live in a loft with a lot of open space so I just sectioned off a little part of my place with gates for the puppy -- inside he has his bed with toys, a little area where I put his food & water, and a little area where I put the pee pad for him to take care of his potty needs. So I am trying to master the same thing you are! Hehe! And for sure, if I find out anything, I'll be sure to let you know as well!

Jynx

I just posted some suggestions to kittypup in a different thread, but I'll post here to..Pee pads in my opinion are a waste of time, you are basically training your dog that it's ok to go on the floor,

If you can't take your dog outside at this time, (frankly I wouldn't worry about it if the other dogs in your building are all up to date on their shots),
I'd think about using a litter box..

Another idea, if your planning on eventually using outside only...Get some of that fake "turf",,build yourself a box/area, (lined with plastic) and have them use that area to potty..

Dog pee on wood floors, will turn that wood blacker faster than you think, ruin your wood floors and no amount of cleaning will get that stain out unless you sand them down.

Dogs that have accidents or make mistakes in the house (prior to being fully housebroken) have no business being left unattended..It requires diligence on the owners part to keep an eye on the puppy and take out for potty breaks often..Sure accidents happen, but not ones where they are peeing all over the place,,that to me, is an indication they have no clue about what your wanting to teach them regarding housebreaking.
diane

Kittypup

(sigh) I wish training a dog was just as easy as training a cat. With this in mind I can honestly say that cats are smarter then dogs. I am sure if I spend
time training my cats to sit and lay down using treats I can make that happen too. But I'm sure with the right training this dog I have will be a very nice add on to the family. :) With a cat all I have to do it pick up a pice of there poop and put it in the litter pan. After that the cat will smell it and know. The end.. The problem with the dog. The dog does not like stepping on the wet droppings. Not that I blame him. Its just easyer.

Another idea I was thinking about trying. Use newspaper. Then if that works
change back to the pads. I have not tried that yet. My friend only uses newspaper. But I like the pads because it does not leak onto the floor.
I think I'm going to try that next. If it works I will give you a heads up. :D

Last edited:
The good thing is I don't have to worry about floors! My place isn't carpeted and it's not wooden floors either. I actually live in a very industiral designed loft....and the floors are kind of like cement floors. So no worries about floors for me!

Kittypup

Yes, I have hard floors too. Not hard wood. Just hard floors. ;)

I mean no disrespect. There are a lot of people who feel that all dogs must be out side animals only when it comes to using the bathroom. I know more people with small dogs then large ones. And they all use the pads or news papers. I'm sorry if some dog owners feel that its in humane to let a dog pee in the house. Many dog owners feel that its just being lazy. If I wanted to take a dog out side all the time I would have gotten a large dog. Theres a reason why the pee pad company is still booming. And there not being sewed from what I'm seeing. So it can't be that bad of an idea. I think
using a crate is much, much worse for the dog then peeing on a pad/news paper. But thats just me. When it comes to being humane. I know I can give
lots of love to this animal. Theres dogs getting put to sleep everyday because no one cares about them. Well I do care. I care about this dog I took in. If you wish to call me lazy thats fine. But unless I'm braking a law. I will have my puppy paper trained like all the other thousands and thousands of small dog owners out there. And my dog will be happy. Just like theres.

Jynx

I dont' think it's that cats are smarter than dogs when it comes to litter training, cats seem to just have this natural ability to "know" what that litter box is for. I have raised multiple kittens from days old, and never once had to "show" them how to use a litter box, it was just a natural ability to know that they had.

I still think if your going to have an inside dog, and you have a small breed, training it to use a litter box is your best bet. no matter what kind of floors you have, it's still going to have that lingering pee odor and if you rent, well your landlord may hold you liable for it. If you must use newspaper, pee pads, line your floor with plastic underneath them, atleast it will save the floors and plastic is cheap & easy to replace.
diane

L

LabBreeder

If you're going to use pads you need to keep a constant eye on your pup. Do NOT let him out of your sight. Attach the leash to your belt loop, put a baby gate up and only allow access to one room or put your pup in a crate when you leave. DO NOT leave unattended at any time during potty training. It's counterproductive.
As long as he's up to date on his shots, take him outside. Socialize him with people and dogs and other animals and surroundings. Just don't let him mess with another dogs droppings or play with strays. Let your dog potty outside and use pads at night (if you don't want to get up in the middle of the night/or can't get up). Make sure you take your pup out every 30 minutes or so until you know when he's got to go. Then there will be no accidents inside (at least there will be a great cutback on them).
Patience is the key. If your dog potties inside it is YOUR fault, not his.

tac_1

Teri's babies
I thought about doing that, but I have similar pads that I put under my cat box and Mason keeps pulling them out to tear them to shreds. When he comes across ANY paper product, he seems to lose his freaking mind! Best of luck with your training.

Julie

I am back again.
Dogs and Cats should not really be compared in intelligence. They are different species. Cats instinctively cover their waste and what better place to do that than a litterbox? That is why it is so much easier to get a kitten and "think" you have housebroken him/her. But in reality the reason they go in the litterbox is because it is more natural than going on a floor, and you really didn't have anything to do with the "housebreaking" of a cat/kitten.
With a dog it is different.

If your longterm goal is to have your pup pee and poop on pads for the rest of his life, then by all means go for it. :)
The problems come when someone wants to use pee pads while their pup is small and then switch to outside potty when adult. This confuses the dog and prolongs housebreaking. It is best just to forgo the pads and go to outside training. Now since you don't have a private yard it will be more difficult, but it can be done. In my opinion it just depends on what your long term goals are for your dog. If you eventually want to have NO messes in your house then go for outside from the beginning. If you want to clean up pee pads indefinately then go for "paper training".

I for one could never imagine giving an acceptable place to go in my house. But I have large dogs and my long term goal was to have NO messes in my home, I have achieved my goal with my dogs, and they are very trustworthy. I never used papers, but then again my circumstances are different than yours. Just weigh the pros and cons and make your own decisions. But always remember if your long term goal is to have outside pottiers, you will prolong this achievement by using pads. :)

Members online

No members online now.