How to grrom a Collie?

LizzieCollie

Collie Crazy
I was just wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to groom a Collie? Is using just a slicker brush alright? I am currently grooming her with a human type brush (the ones that are two sided, one side for detangling the other for brushing) It works ok now because she doesnt have much of a coat. I ordered a nice looking slicker brush and I was wondering if I needed any other type of brush?

Also, how should I groom her? I know I have to seperate the hair but some people have told me that backward brushing works wonders for the coat, and let me tell you I am a sucker for a nice looking coat.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Giny

What I find works best in fluffing up a dog with a long coat is a high velocity dryer after it's bathed. I have an Metro Air Force Commander Dryer which does a great job.

Like this

Other tools you can use for a collie are thinning shears for the paws and removing the longer out of place hair on the tips of the ears and thinning out the rump area, scissors for the pads of the feet and the feathers on the legs (to tidy it up), and a groomer's stone to remove any long scraggly hair on the legs and face.

I have a shedder, the same two sided brush you have. And a dematter. I normally start with the dematter and work them out if she has any. Pay particular attention to the ears, and the long feathers in back. Then I go to the shedder. then I go to the slicker brush.

Oh and if you hadn't already make a routine time to groom every day.. If you do that then you won't forget and you won't have trouble with mats. My problem is I didn't do that or my daughter looses my brushes and by the time I find them again she has those dreaded mats behind her ears. :(

I would blow the dog out with a high velocity dryer, very well, right to the skin to get all the undercoat out. Then use an undercoat rake, then a slicker and probably finish it off with some spray conditioner and a nice bristle brush.

All of the above is very good information. You might also want to purchase a metal comb. After brushing run the come through the hair to make sure you haven't missed any knots or mats. The hind, or pants area can become knotted or matted very easily if not brushed out completely.

Members online