Rottie breeder selling adults. HUH?

S

Squishy22

I dont know anything about breeding, but is it normal for breeders to sell ADULT dogs? I just find it odd. Whats the point? I thought breeding was about selling puppies.

I found a website that is selling a female that obviously has had past litters. And another female that they will sell pregnant. :confused:

I dont agree with that. Imagine how hard it would be on the dog to be ripped away from its family as an adult to be flown to a NEW family. Geez. I feel bad for those dogs.:(

The dogs are flippin GORGEOUS though...

http://www.dkvrottweilers.com/Menu_ForSale.htm

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
Breeders often sell retired brood bitches. It gives them a home and the breeder space to aquire more showing and breeding dogs.
I am not sure about the whole pregnant sale thing. That sounds dodgy.

borzoimom

Couch Pototoe City
Well to each their own. I wouldn't do it but we do not know the reasons why they are doing this. Could be medical problems have occured with the people and no longer can care for the dogs. Or maybe financial problems and can not care for them.. who knows.. I know a few people that sell older pups, almost even adult for a different reason. They wanted to keep these dogs when they were pups in hopes of a good showing career but the dogs changed too much and no longer are considered their show prospect..
I am rather grasping at straws to give reasons, but really I do not know why they would..

Maxy24

Some breeders will do that for many reasons. Some do it if they had a puppy who they kept as a show prospect who did not turn out to be show quality as an adult so they sell, sometimes when they retire them from breeding they sell, basically when they cannot be useful in the breeding program (although some people only sell for specific reasons, like they will sell the failed prospects but not their retired dogs). I don't know how I feel about it though. Selling the pregnant dog is wrong IMO and I'd say she's an awful breeder (don't have time to look at the site though...off to school)

pitbullpony

BSL Can Be Beaten
These folks are selling adults to N.A. so the dogs can be used in some sort of program right away. Import dogs are often brought over bred, because it is very expensive to ship an adult, so breeders over here can recoup their expenses by selling the pups once they are whelped, retaining what they want to use in their breeding program.

R

RedyreRottweilers

For me, I could not IMAGINE doing all the work it takes to plan a breeding and then sell the bitch.

Otherwise, often people look for homes for older puppies or dogs who don't fit in with their pack/household for a variety of reasons.

I have 2 young males, and eventually one of them will probably need to live elsewhere, as I do not want to have to keep them separate if or when they decide one or the other has to die.

I do not have kennels, so that is the reason why I have generally kept one sex (bitches). If we ever get moved (haha) I will have 4 in/outs in my house, but that is in the future and I don't know how long.

It seems that some of the German style people buy/import and sell dogs more often.

Amstaffer

As long as they make sure that they go to high quality homes I don't see the difference. If the breeder gets them a good home where they can be truly retire (no more pups) and they can be the center of attention in a family, I think it is a great thing. If they are selling them to become a puppy machine for another ByB then it is a terrible thing.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
Retired Ch's are often available to pet homes in my breed. Not every Ch needs to be bred...and some don't work out as broods or studs which you won't know til you try. I have no issues placing retired or grown out adults or pups...so long as the same care is taken with screening...and they are s/n prior to placement.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Just had to add, I think retired champions and breeding dogs are a GREAT way for people to get a pet from a quality breeder without going through all the hassle of puppyhood.

That's how my mom got her maltese. Scandal is a breeding program retiree. Mom always wanted another maltese, but didn't want to deal with the trials of puppyhood. After meeting with the breeder, she was able to adopt Scandal.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
They are the best kept secret in dogs actually. Most are heavily socialized...used to crating, grooming, being handled by strangers...car travel...hotel stays...etc.

Cons would be:

• sometimes there is NO housetraining if they're kennel dogs. or training in general aside from that required for showing.
  • Kennel shyness can occur.
  • Some dogs actually get LONELY in a one dog household...this happened with Susie. She was pining for a pack and the folks did not want another dog...once she arrived here again she literally turned into a dog half her age.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I think that is the one thing I can not wrap my head around. I don't get why/how any individual would go through so much work to title a dog and love that dog and who knows how many litters and then just place it in another home. It makes it feel like solely business purposes and it disturbs me. And the logic behind it... they place the retired bitch so they can breed more... well, why not wait? Didn't that dog serve them well enough to be a part of their family for the rest of her life?

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
BP I was wondering when someone would bring this up...they always do. I have found it's not a lot of good discussing this with people who are already decided that it's a horrible thing to do....but...here goes...

Again...the breeder is dam*ned if they do...dam*ned if they dont. You breed one litter a year and breed each girl only 2-3 times in her life the way JQP dictates you should...you keep a puppy the show it...you have more than one bitch because well, one is not really a breeding programme. You end up with so many dogs keeping them all retirees, failed breeders, retired CH....you have enough dogs the same JQP considers you a hoarder and would never buy a dog from someone who has "so many dogs...you can't possibly care for them all". Or you build kennels and catch flack from JQP because "kennel dogs don't get any socialization"...

That's not even factoring in the reality that in found almost EVERYWHERE in the usa...pet limit laws.

You breed a bitch at 2....and 3...and perhaps 4. The bitch should live til age 13 or so...that is what, ten more years with you...and you kept a daughter and you might breed her once or twice and then you keep her too...she's only 2 years younger than her mother...if you do this with each of your foundations 3 litters you now have 4 bitches...then you realize everyone is related and you need to bring in an outcross dog or bitch...but where pray tell...will you put them? Let alone the resultant get? Or that puppy returned because the new baby had allergies? Or the older dog returned because the family is moving?

Oh then JQP will tell you "don't breed so much then...don't have more puppies or dogs than you can take back" which means at most keeping 2-3 dogs in your home for your own programme. Oh yes but JQP wants a well bred puppy from a reputable breeder...but they're so hard to find...and they have to wait so long to get one!...and they're so expensive!....they just go BYB instead. That's our fault too BTW...we should make it easier for JQP to get well bred dogs...but not the one's we've used for breeding...those we have to keep...because JQP says we should. Even tho JQP would rehome a dog if they thought it was in the dogs best interest (or their own), we are not allowed to.

So again..I am used to the judgemental attitudes that surround rehoming. I don't expect everyone to understand rehoming. There's a lot about people with pet dogs that I don't understand :).

Bottom line is....limits are reality...the places a breeder can keep LARGE numbers...and I mean over 5 dogs are shrinking to almost nothing (mt cats put me in violation right now, actually)...month to month. Breeders are being restricted to x litters per year and paying out the nose for those litters in places req permits. But...in spite of all that...we are held to what I believe is an unattainable standard of perfection.

Now we are also not supposed to rehome...which not only removes a viable option from the buyers for well bred, reasonably priced purebred dogs, with known histories and temperaments...which some people will ALWAYS want...but causes the breeder to breed even less...and afford less....yes we do it by choice. But ask yourself what might happen if enough reputable breeders who "gasp* rehome...decide to throw in in the towel. People wanting purebred dogs will have one less option...and I think we all know who'd benefit from that...and it wouldn't be shelters.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Uhm, I didn't say it was horrible. I wasn't being judgmental. All I said was that it disturbed me and the logic does not make sense to me. I will never breed because I take the hobbies and endeavors that I take on very seriously and I give my all to whatever it is and I could never sell off puppies or adults.. that's just how I am. Sooo, it doesn't make sense to me because of the core of who I am and there is no blame in that. :)

ETA: I have a purebred, so I am not quick to judge responsible breeding. Obviously, lol. But I can disagree with some practices. I don't see how that makes it a bad thing. And it's not like I'm condemning those that do rehome. It's just something that I can't quite wrap my head around, I'm too attached to my dogs.. which is why I will not participate in something like breeding my dogs.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
I will never breed because I take the hobbies and endeavors that I take on very seriously and I give my all to whatever it is and I could never sell off puppies or adults
I see, so you also consider selling off puppies...to be the province of those who do NOT take it seriously...or give it their all. :rolleyes:

Staff online

Members online