Playing with the puppy

Mikro

I was just wondering how to play with our 10 week old Golden female. The yard has a lot of snow so its hard to play ball. In the house she doesnt have a lot of room to run around. Is it ok to play "tug"? I heard that may increase aggression...

bubbatd

This is a great age !!! My grand-golden is just a week older ! ( Check the blog below ! ) They really don't need much interactive play ( certainly not hard tug of wars ! ) Roll balls inside , give stuffed animals , and give a lot of TLC. Goldens really don't need stimulation .....all they want is love and to give love . An empty box at this age is great ! If it's big , make a door way like a play house . Tie a rope to an empty gal jug with a few rattles inside ( I suggest kibble over stones in case it opens ! ) I never liked to over stimulate my Golden pups ..... they go with the flow . Let them play on their own and love them to death !!! Keep us posted and some pictures please !!

mrsgrubby

I wouldn't play tug either. Not at this age, and not until the dog learns "drop" and "take".

I would roll balls, give stuffed animals, take him on walks outside in the drieway and snowplowed areas. Offer him things to chew on to get rid of excess energy like bully sticks, raw bones, pressed rawhide. You can also stuff a kong with yummy stuff like canned dog food, liver treats, p-nut butter.

When I have young puppies we snowblow a path all around the yard so the puppy can run on the paths and play outside.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Goldens really don't need stimulation .....all they want is love and to give love .
Really? I thought Goldens were a fairly active breed.

I agree with some of the suggestions. Also, I've been playing tug with my puppy (and his big bro has been playing tug with him) since he was 9 weeks old. He is now almost a year old with NO aggression what-so-ever. It actually teaches very good bite inhibition, if you progress to moving your hands down the tug, and ending the game if he nips your fingers. Here are a few easy indoor activities that Fozzie loved:

*Tug-of-war with fleece tugs & rope tugs

*Fetching stuffed toys and balls

*Pushing his treat ball (Buster Cube) around to get treats out

*Frozen, stuffed puppy Kongs

*Healthy chews (Bully Sticks, raw meaty bones, pig/lamb ears, beef tendons, rolled rawhide, etc)

*Puppy play groups

*Training (this will tire a puppy out quickly!)

skyeboxer

Simple hide and seek. You hide something under a blanket or whatever. Let her see you put your hand under the blanket with toy she likes and encourage her to find it. I don't know if that is a good game for a golden or not but Skye loved it as a puppy and we still play SEEK though I make it a bit more challenging now. :)

Members online

No members online now.